PDA

View Full Version : Faggin

LegendRider
10-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know the history of Faggin bikes? I have a pearl white, lugged steel Faggin track bike that I use for winter fixed gear training. The Faggin website indicates the name is owned by a German company, although they were originally Italian.

I found this in the Torelli site:
Generalizations are always dangerous, but we will venture one here. There are two general areas in Italy that produce frames. The finest, the frames with the great reputations, come from the area around Milan. This area is called Lombardy. Masi, Mondonico, De Rosa, and Pogliaghi are Lombards. The area to the east, near the Adriatic around Venice is called Veneto. Venetians might be the most bike-crazed people in the world. These Venetian builders make very fine frames, yet they don't quite have that obsessive, perfect edge that the Lombard frames possess. Faggin, Battaglin, and Basso, are some of the builders from this region, respected fabricators all.

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2004, 06:15 PM
. . . I saw my first Faggin frame at the Ryan Memorial Ride this morning. This one looked like it had seen some better days--decals and paint scratched from good use--but it was still a pretty elegant looking frame.

BBDave

JohnS
10-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm surprised the auto censor lets that brandname through! :)

dreamcatcher
12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
This is a 54cm Faggin w/ Dura-Ace in excellent condition. Does anyone knows how much this is worth?

bulliedawg
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
You're kidding, right?

e-RICHIE
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
faggin was a brand - there was an entire range
of price points and quality levels; i'd wager they
badged city bikes and women's bikes too.

slowgoing
12-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dr Moreau
07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I worked for Torelli imports in the mid 80s. We brought in hundreds of Faggins. They were very nice racing bikes hand built by the family in Italy. Bill, owner of Torelli, showed me photos of the Faggin shop. There were two daughters and a son who worked on cutting, mitering, and brazing the frames. The old man, a former pro racer I believe, oversaw everything and did some of the work himself too. The mother cooked and cared for the crew.

The family lived upstairs and the frame building shop was downstairs. Their commute to work was hell! The painting and chrome work were sourced out to a near by specialty shop.

I currently have a new old stock Faggin, almost perfect condition, which I am going to build a case for and display. Sweet road bikes of the old style.

Polyglot
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Leandro Faggin was a top pro. He was three time world champion on the track and also won two olympic gold medals in 1956:

http://www.databaseolympics.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=FAGGILEA01

He passed away at 37 years of age in 1970.

Trident1
09-22-2007, 04:37 PM
I bought one of the 1st 2 Faggin's Bill brought to the US for LA bike show. Nice custom touches on those. Put those parts on a 2nd Faggin after crashed the first one. Lots of good years on it. It's been gathering dust for 15 years and I either will sell it or use it a 'wall art' at home. Any ideas what it's worth? Even after clean up, it would need fresh grease in hubs bb. Special to me at least.

rphetteplace
09-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I rememeber seeing a limited edition gold plated Faggin at a bike shop in Madison in the early 90's. One of those bikes that always haunt me.

swoop
09-22-2007, 06:39 PM
say it this way:

Faszheen.

e-RICHIE
09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
we need one in the white atmo.