PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a steel frame,

johnnymossville
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
build it up all pretty looking, suffer through training on it, race it hard, beat some people, and have fun doing it. There I said it. Thanks for letting me post this random thought.

Crazy ideas brought on by the Serotta Forum! I blame/thank all of you.

:beer:

M.Sommers
06-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Post of the week ^.

Do it bro. Talk to Fixed about steel. Watch Conan the Barbarian and listen to James Earl Jones talk about steel with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Ride an 18lb. bike faster than some carbonized cat. If you could bite into a steel frame it would have flavor, like a fine steak; carbon and aluminum would taste like soy.

Find a builder you want, create the frame, ride it and then listen to these songs, ride it like you stole it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgsIHacTFMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov60eUf4JnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJF-goxNN0

OldDog
06-27-2008, 12:08 PM
What would bamboo taste like?

C5 Snowboarder
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hmm -- I have a light steel Lugged frame by Sekia a 2400 model just sitting here looking for someone like you.

Kevan
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
being stashed away until the day comes. Safe from college payments, utility bills and rent, my collection is half way there.

Steel, lugged, and willing to take me into my nineties. It will handle thick and thin as well as fenders. It too will smell the flowers.

M.Sommers
06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
What would bamboo taste like?

With Peter Luger sauce, I'd try it.

soulspinner
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
being stashed away until the day comes. Safe from college payments, utility bills and rent, my collection is half way there.

Steel, lugged, and willing to take me into my nineties. It will handle thick and thin as well as fenders. It too will smell the flowers.

Yes, Ive been thinking of a bike just like that made of 531 or some other non-uber light steel thatll take the long haul, nice metal fenders. Mine will double as a backup if I crash out the good bike. 50 bucks at a time. ;)

johnnymossville
06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking something with modern racing geometry, yet retaining some semblance of what's cool about steel, probably lugged and a great ride. Fairly light, but that's not my main concern. It'll be light enough. Something lasting.

rounder
06-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I've got two steel serottas. One is lugged (1992 nhx) and has steel fork and weighs about 20 lbs, and the other is tig (ciii) with an F3 carbon fork and weighs about 17 lbs. They both have campy record 10 speed but the ciii has relatively light campy neutron wheels while the nhx has clunky mavic cosmos. They are both nice bikes, but the ciii is noticeably faster and smoother because it is lighter and has nicer wheels, and is the one i like to ride more. For looks, like the nhx more because it is so classic looking. I like lugs but think there is a lot to be said for modern technology. Light weight, carbon fork and nice wheels make a difference. Hope that is helpful.

CaptStash
06-28-2008, 09:07 AM
GO Dog GO!!!

I have been training with a bunch of racy guys all on plastic. We do a lot of hills, so I have been riding my steel Craon Jewel. I do just fine. Trust me, it's not the bike that is ever holding me back.

CaptStash....

flickwet
06-28-2008, 09:48 AM
folks into bikes will always admire good steel cause it looks right, same-oh, same-oh plastic fantastic look a likes are just that. Now Serotta, Crumpton, Calfee and Parlee, they ain't no look a likes they just fantastic plastic bikes. Steel you can crash it and mash it and it'll be there for more, rust can be a bummr tho especialy for sweaters like me. Also steel is cheaper, I'd rather have two steel frames instead of one carbon, although Ti taunts me so

rwsaunders
06-28-2008, 10:36 AM

K-Lo has the idea. Bike money is the new beer money.

ridemoreoften
06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Own a Serotta CIII, Ouzo Pro fork and recently purchased a Look 585 - both great bikes but different rides for sure. Would take the CIII hands down for smoothness and comfort if had to keep only one. Now I'm signing off and heading to ebay to look for a retro steel lugged frame. Why? I have no idea!