PDA

View Full Version : Chuck the cycle computer

CNY rider
06-27-2008, 08:10 AM
This has been a slow evolution for me, but it's something others may want to do too.
For many years I rode with the computer on all the time. I had only a minor interest in my speed but would keep track of miles ridden per trip, per year, etc.
When I started commuting a few years back my headlight would interfere with the wireless computer. Off the commuter went the computer.
Then you realize that you no longer have an accurate tally for the year if you're missing your commuting miles. I started "forgetting" it on a bunch of road rides.
Last year I got my Mariposa. The computer is never going to look right on that bike, so I never even bothered to put one on.
Now I'm completely computer oblivious. Used it about twice in the past year I think. Only purpose at this point is for rides like Deerfield where you need to know where you are. Obviously if you're a racer training with a Power Tap this doesn't apply to you, but I think it does apply to most of us (particularly us bike riders! ;) )
I think I am enjoying my cycling more without it. It's just another piece of technology that you somehow get wrapped up in and it ends up diminishing your experience, not enhancing it.

Take the computer-free challenge!

paczki
06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
This has been a slow evolution for me, but it's something others may want to do too.
For many years I rode with the computer on all the time. I had only a minor interest in my speed but would keep track of miles ridden per trip, per year, etc.
When I started commuting a few years back my headlight would interfere with the wireless computer. Off the commuter went the computer.
Then you realize that you no longer have an accurate tally for the year if you're missing your commuting miles. I started "forgetting" it on a bunch of road rides.
Last year I got my Mariposa. The computer is never going to look right on that bike, so I never even bothered to put one on.
Now I'm completely computer oblivious. Used it about twice in the past year I think. Only purpose at this point is for rides like Deerfield where you need to know where you are. Obviously if you're a racer training with a Power Tap this doesn't apply to you, but I think it does apply to most of us (particularly us bike riders! ;) )
I think I am enjoying my cycling more without it. It's just another piece of technology that you somehow get wrapped up in and it ends up diminishing your experience, not enhancing it.

I thought you had named your cycling computer Chuck. I call mine Jo Jo.

CNY rider
06-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Was Hal already taken?

johnnymossville
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
I never use one, but I'll admit to asking some other guys on a ride how far we went sometimes. Usually they offer up the info without asking even.

Kinda like On-Star. :p

dave1215
06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
cny,

i'm with you - it's a different, freedom inspiring ride without a computer. i have one bike with a computer for when i'm testing or pushing myself and one bike without a computer when i want to enjoy what's around me.

:beer:

CaptStash
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
I never use one, but I'll admit to asking some other guys on a ride how far we went sometimes. Usually they offer up the info without asking even.

Kinda like On-Star. :p

I heard the new Trek comes with OnStar! :banana: :banana:

CaptStash....

Mike748
06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
I chucked mine off my single-speed. May be ready to do it on the other bikes too. It's really pleasant to just ride and not worry about distance (I know about how far I went), average speed (damn, I'm slow today, must be the headwind) etc. I do use the odo mileage for maintenance intervals but I'm sure I can figure it out a different way.

johnnymossville
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
The one place I do use a computer is on the stationary bike at the gym. Besides the odd cute gal in spandex, there's not much goin on in there.

Out on the road, I'd prefer to look at anything but a computer. I use a computer all day at work. That's about enough.

Lifelover
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Of the 4 bikes I ride the most, I have a computer on one of them. It is nice on large group rides where you want to hold a certian speed.

I also like to recalibrate myself on cadence every now and agian.

Single speeds beg not have them.

Fixed
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
bro i don't have one .. don't want one don't need one
I have a watch and a cell phone to worry about that is enough
cheers imho :beer:

konstantkarma
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I use a Polar to monitor HR, but it also keeps track of distance, avg speed etc. I used to obsessively enter all of the info into a spread sheet to keep track of training progress, miles etc., but I have not done that in a while. It is kind of liberating not knowing or caring how many miles you have in.

One of my pet peeves is riding buddies compulsively telling me how many miles we've traveled, and/or how many miles left to go on a ride. Most of my friends now know that I don't want to know.....until the ride is over. I like to just ride!

OtayBW
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I recently got a deal on a computer that had an altimeter function. Bleh.....

johnmdesigner
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I only use mine to check the local digital speed traps. :p

Volant
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
My 19" widescreen was obstructing the view, so I also ditched the computer. :beer:

scrooge
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll admit it, I use a computer. And I like it.

I'm the type of person that needs goals. For me it's not speed, heart rate etc. It's distance. Silly as it is, I ride more when I know I'm riding more. I like to challenge myself to top my monthly/weekly distance and feel a strange twist of satisfaction (pride?) when I do. For me, it's part of the joy of cycling.

Now if I only had a computer with a (working) altimeter. One more stat to try and top.

Kevan
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
clutter an otherwise pretty machine. For me they have been useless for pert-near 5 years 'r' more. Climbing through the ranks of a paceline to the front, you establish what the speed is and miss out on nothing. While some are busy checking their numbers and pressing buttons, I'm checking out the road ahead and watching the pretty young lady jogging on the opposite side of the road.

Smell the flowers.

rpm
06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I chucked mine over a year ago, and have no regrets about it. I feel like I'm more in touch with my body and perceived exertion since I've gotten rid of it. My hard rides are just as hard--I can tell by my wheezing, and my easy rides are easier because I don't worry if I'm going below a certain speed. If it's on your bike, you can't help looking at it.

Ginger
06-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I a computer on my bike for rides like D2R2 where the queue sheets are in tenths of a mile, just so I have an idea if I rode past a turn or not. Because of the occasional overshot, it would be handy to have a computer that you can recalibrate to a certain distance...like remove the .2 miles you overshot that last turn because if you're enjoying the ride and not watching the queue, you can do that somewhat often...

I haven't ridden with a computer for some time actually...

torquer
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Of the 4 bikes I ride the most, I have a computer on one of them. It is nice on large group rides where you want to hold a certian speed.

I also like to recalibrate myself on cadence every now and agian.

Single speeds beg not have them.

I'm in the midst of weaning myself off the digital habit (first parked the HR chest strap, next the head unit off one bike), but I'm going about it slightly differently: on "large group rides", I don't need a read-out to maintain speed; its solo, mid-week rides where attention may drift and a numerical reminder seems of value. Even more so on the fixie!

I was encouraged along this path by the photos of my finish at Whiteface this year: I had never realized how dorky that head unit looked. (And it is, after all, all about style.)

OtayBW
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
A no-frills cycle computer I can live with. One of these contraptions that indicates what gear you're in, I don't really get those things....but that's just me.

SamIAm
06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Never had one, never will.

michael white
06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I only have one on one bike. It's best to ride a cool bike at the back of the group. Always let an older guy win the sprint, if there is one. Tell him he really had your number.

thwart
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I use GPed (... or is it GMap? ... a neat Google tool which I have bookmarked) to figure out how far I went if I really, really need to know.

That said, I do have the contraptions on a couple of my bikes.

They do seem to change the complexion of the ride. When I think of my "best bicycle rides"... almost all have been on no-computer bikes.

Tobias
06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
I a computer on my bike for rides like D2R2 where the queue sheets are in tenths of a mile, just so I have an idea if I rode past a turn or not. Because of the occasional overshot, it would be handy to have a computer that you can recalibrate to a certain distance...like remove the .2 miles you overshot that last turn because if you're enjoying the ride and not watching the queue, you can do that somewhat often...Try getting off your bike, picking it up, and walking approximately the .2 miles you just overhot before remounting. ;)

mikki
06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
I would like them more if they were accurate. Personally I like to know the percent of grade I ride. However, I also hate them when they don't work correctly or accurately, or fall off and get run over by a car (as did my Garmin GPS). Would love a tiny inconspicuous one that worked perfectly and stayed on my bike; haven't found one.

RPS
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I would like them more if they were accurate.Are you talking about computers or GPS?

I've found bike computers to be very accurate to measure distance, so I expect speed was right on mark also.

As to incline I can't say since I haven't tried one. My friends who have them seem to be all over the map on the same climb -- which is one of the reasons I haven't tried one.

Cdub
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I have a polar on my road rig, but learned the joy of riding without speed and distance. (speed can kind of psych you out) The only thing I pay attention to is time. It shows cadence an HR, but time is important for nutrition purposes.

i did however just order a power tap, so i will be knee deep in data. oh Boy!

Ginger
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a polar on my road rig, but learned the joy of riding without speed and distance. (speed can kind of psych you out) The only thing I pay attention to is time. It shows cadence an HR, but time is important for nutrition purposes.

i did however just order a power tap, so i will be knee deep in data. oh Boy!

the best advice I received for the powertap was to set it to "average" and put something over the readout unless I was doing particular intervals.

:)

Otherwise it WILL drive you batty.

redir
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Obviously if you're a racer training with a Power Tap this doesn't apply to you, but I think it does apply to most of us (particularly us bike riders! ;) )

I am racing and training now and I don't use a computer any more. It's funny to go on training rides and see the people spending more time watching the numbers then the scenery. I've learned how to listen to my body and trust that any day over a silly computer. Since I've gotten rid of the computer I've actually gotten a lot better culminating into two wins a couple weeks ago :banana: If I really want to know how many miles I've gone I'll just average 15 miles per hour and it's close enough.

I agree with this statement fully, " It's just another piece of technology that you somehow get wrapped up in and it ends up diminishing your experience, not enhancing it." well said imho.

sc53
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a few different and quite small Cateye wireless computers that tell you speed, distance, and time and I use the distance function all the time on my weekend club rides that all involve cue sheets. Even though they are "group" rides the group never stays together and often one or two riders travel most of the route alone, so having a clue as to the distance I've gone helps me follow the cues and not end up in East wherever, hot and tired and out of water and miles from my car. But for just doing errands or riding round my 'hood, I don't need or use the readout. Don't care about my speed, or miles travelled, or cadence/heartrate/etc. I ride till I'm tired on these kinds of rides, and hopefully have turned around and am on the way home by the time I discover I'm tired! For the "group" club rides, though, the info is invaluable. I've explored tons of places I've never been before and travelled some beautiful countryside and country lanes that way, with confidence that I'll make it back to my car before dark.

fierte_poser
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM
It's funny to go on training rides and see the people spending more time watching the numbers then the scenery.

Who are these 'people'? You have to be kidding, right? I've never seen anyone stare at a cyclocomputer.

Its a tool. Its not evil.

I like to know my HR. I like to know my distance. I like to know the time. Its perfect. I check average speed after I'm done. Not having it would piss me off.

I don't race, but I do like to know certain pieces of data.

Fixed
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
bro the thing with me is each day is different each ride is different .i don't need feedback from a box ..the feeling i have from years of riding is all i need .
everyday does not need to be faster than the last
i know how far everything in town is and about how long it takes to get there ....so i don't need any help from a box .. and on a fix gear.. bro not on a fix imho
cheers

redir
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Who are these 'people'? You have to be kidding, right? I've never seen anyone stare at a cyclocomputer.

Its a tool. Its not evil.

I like to know my HR. I like to know my distance. I like to know the time. Its perfect. I check average speed after I'm done. Not having it would piss me off.

I don't race, but I do like to know certain pieces of data.

No not kidding at all. I could name names but you probably wouldn't know them :p

Mostly people with power meters who are told by their coach to ride at such and such number for such and such time. I am being a bit sarcastic of course, no they don't stare at the meter for the entire ride for god sake I hope not ;)

Different strokes for different folks.

Cdub
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
the best advice I received for the powertap was to set it to "average" and put something over the readout unless I was doing particular intervals.

:)

Otherwise it WILL drive you batty.

Thanks Ginger. I bought it for intervals. 90% of my workouts during the week are on the trainer due to work schedule.

i will take any advice I can get when it comes to the PT!

PK9
06-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I took all mine off after I stopped racing. No more HRM either.

I ride hard til I stop. Doesn't matter how far, doesn't matter how fast. It doesn't need to be quantified. It's a bike ride.

Ginger
06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I keep looking at the title of this thread and keep feeling sorry for poor Chuck, the computer.

Fixed
06-28-2008, 06:57 AM
I keep looking at the title of this thread and keep feeling sorry for poor Chuck, the computer.
you have a kind heart sis
cheers :beer:

rwsaunders
10-08-2008, 02:03 PM
It's been stirring in my feeble mind since reading this post and I took the plunge. The Flight Deck came off the Legend last night and I sold it on CL this morning. "Hi...my name is RW and I'm wire free and I can see my handlebars."

Now about those streamers and banana seat....

Frankwurst
10-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Gave mine away a few years back when I came to the realization I'm fat and slow. Nothings changed. I'm still fat and slow. I just don't have a computer to remind me. :beer:

Ozz
10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
The battery died on my HR Monitor / computer (polar 520) a couple months ago and I just haven't found time to replace it..... :rolleyes:

:beer:

jimp1234
10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
First of all when I read the title I thought it might have something with that silly but kinda fun TV show "Chuck" who downloads the CIA's database to his brain but I digress. I'll take the other side of this discussion by saying that I like my computer(s). Gadgets appeal to my innate geekiness I suppose. And I rather fancy the notion that the computer on my bike has more computer power than the Apollo missions but I digress yet again. They don't distract me or "diminish my riding experience" any more than the speedometer or gas gauge in my car. My brain can happily process the HR readout on my puter along with the changing fall colors and the rock in the middle of the road. Now if that's not to your liking, go for it and more power to you. I would hope though that we don't head down the road of suggesting that the "one true path" is with puters or without em.

Ahneida Ride
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
The only reason I keep the Computer is to tell when to change the chain.

about ever 2K. otherwise I become it's slave.

benb
10-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Who makes this "Chuck" model of cyclocomputer?

Ahneida Ride
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I heard the new Trek comes with OnStar! :banana: :banana:
CaptStash....

BlondStar ?

Hello Blondstar ???

Yes this is Blondstar .... go ahead ...

Well I locked my keys in my convertible. The top is down and it's raining !

rwsaunders
10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
First of all when I read the title I thought it might have something with that silly but kinda fun TV show "Chuck" who downloads the CIA's database to his brain but I digress. I'll take the other side of this discussion by saying that I like my computer(s). Gadgets appeal to my innate geekiness I suppose. And I rather fancy the notion that the computer on my bike has more computer power than the Apollo missions but I digress yet again. They don't distract me or "diminish my riding experience" any more than the speedometer or gas gauge in my car. My brain can happily process the HR readout on my puter along with the changing fall colors and the rock in the middle of the road. Now if that's not to your liking, go for it and more power to you. I would hope though that we don't head down the road of suggesting that the "one true path" is with puters or without em.

Not to worry jimp....I'm a gadget-boy too...there is no right or wrong in my opinion regarding cyclocomputers. I wear a helmet, but I do wear my glasses on the outside of my strap. :cool: