PDA

View Full Version : OT - SPOILER Euro Cup 2008 Semifinal

Tom Byrnes
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
WOW!! Spain was very impressive! Very crisp passing and ball control.

If Spain plays on Sunday like it did today, Germany will not win its fourth Euro Cup.

Tom

zap
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
:hello:

Paella and German beer Sunday afternoon.

:beer:

acorn_user
06-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Bah! No stinking TV, and no way of watching video highlights online.

This is the first Euro cup in years where I have not watched every single game...

cadence90
06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
The best team was Italia.

Too bad they sucked.

(Of course, I must pick Spain over Germany.)

Ozz
06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
The best team was Italia..)

No they weren't... :no:

Too bad they sucked..)

so true....

Finally, some sense.... :beer:

cadence90
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
No they weren't... :no:

so true....

Finally, some sense.... :beer:
I always say Italia is the best team. I have to.

Hell, Greece won the the thing last time....
And what happened to the Oranje's vaunted attack, and Portugal, and even Russia with Arshavin?

The only way this tournament would make sense i if Italia won every year.... :D

goonster
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Not to take anything away from a very good performance by the Hiddink squad, but can someone explain to me why Holland forgot to show up against Russia? :confused:

Isn't it funny how many South Americans are at the European championships? :D

If Spain doesn't win this, there's no justice. This may sound strange, but my favorite Spain game was the match against Greece, which showcased their depth in a game they didn't need. Xabi Alonso is my hero. They've played very cleanly, too. That said, they are vulnerable against a Germany that is solid at the back, and firing on all cylinders.

I'll place my hopes in good karma for the beautiful game displayed by Spain, as well as the bad vibes sent out by a few million Austrians, and predict a 3:1 triumph (finally!) for Spain in the Vienna final.

cadence90
06-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Not to take anything away from a very good performance by the Hiddink squad, but can someone explain to me why Holland forgot to show up against Russia? :confused:

Isn't it funny how many South Americans are at the European championships? :D

If Spain doesn't win this, there's no justice. This may sound strange, but my favorite Spain game was the match against Greece, which showcased their depth in a game they didn't need. Xabi Alonso is my hero. They've played very cleanly, too. That said, they are vulnerable against a Germany that is solid at the back, and firing on all cylinders.

I'll place my hopes in good karma for the beautiful game displayed by Spain, as well as the bad vibes sent out by a few million Austrians, and predict a 3:1 triumph (finally!) for Spain in the Vienna final.
Holland was a true mystery: Arshivan/Hiddink/Russia weren't that good, imho. I don't know.

Spain has the most beautiful/balanced/aggressive/skilled game and best attack at this pint imho, and the best coach I think.

But you're right: a 2-overtime loss to Ballack and Bastian Schweinsteiger getting the winning PK would be a complete heartbreak. Viva Espana!!!

Anyway, ITALIA should have won, but I guess Luca Toni was too tired from helping Bayern dominate/win the Bundesliga :rolleyes:. That, and Italy never uses its' "creators" ("fantasisti"), i.e. Roberto Baggio, GianFranco Zola, Andrea Cassano, etc., in the right way, ever. Imagine if they did and they let those guys loose to strike terror all over the pitch. I mean, heck, the Italians loved poor old Paul Gascoigne in league play....

Andreas
06-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Germany Spain 3:1

Gary Linneker:
"Football is a game of eleven against eleven, and at the end, Germany wins."

DRZRM
06-27-2008, 05:13 AM
This is only true if we are judging the fit of their jerseys. They looked like they were playing for a shootout for the full 120 minutes. My only disappointment was that I was pulling for Turkey, oh well, go Spain!!

The best team was Italia.

Too bad they sucked.

jthurow
06-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I think the German back line is going to have their hands full with Spain. They've looked vulnerable all tournament while Spain has put together some excellent diagonal runs, great passing and clinical finishing.

jimi

goonster
06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Italy never uses its' "creators" ("fantasisti"), in the right way, ever.

That would be fundamentally un-Italian. ;)

I can think of relatively few modern Italian players that are truly "creators", as those players have been imported for a while. Who have been the best, most consistent creators in Serie A in the last ten years? Pavel Nedved and Kaka. The best Italian would be Totti, who's failure to live up to expectations with the Azzurri speaks volumes. And not because he wasn't used in the right way, either. Trappatoni gave him plenty of room and opportunities to impose his will.

The man who has come closest in the national shirt recently is Pirlo. Having underachieved consistently for his country ("He's effing useless!", raged my Roma-supporting pal), he really impressed me at the World Cup and deserves much more credit for the title than Cannavaro, imho.

Andrea Cassano

Who's that?

If you mean who I think you mean, he'd be ruthlessly powerful finisher at the best of times, and a moody, out-of-shape dressing room cancer in between. Creator, not so much. :bike:

goonster
06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I think the German back line is going to have their hands full with Spain.

+1. I like those matchups for Spain.

Metzelder and Mertesacker have been OK, actually. The former plays in Spain and has been very solid, but there is no way the latter can keep up with David Silva. They're good against high crosses and setpieces, but if Spain get those steep passes to Silva and Torres it could get ugly.

cadence90
06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
This is only true if we are judging the fit of their jerseys. They looked like they were pl aying for a shootout for the full 120 minutes. My only disappointment was that I was pulling for Turkey, oh well, go Spain!!

I think Italia stll wear "Kappa" jerseys, which only look good if onee wins.... :mad:

Viva Espana, La Furia Rossa....

Andreas
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Silva is not playing.
In order to get their short pass going they will need to have some space in midfield - they won't.
Torsten Frings is there already...

cadence90
06-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Silva is not playing.
In order to get their short pass going they will need to have some space in midfield - they won't.
Torsten Frings is there already...
Silva is a big loss.
But Frings is not 100%, is he?

Please: SPA = 2:1 in regulation.... :D

goonster
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Silva is not playing.

News to me. Don't you mean Villa?

jeffg
06-27-2008, 02:27 PM
News to me. Don't you mean Villa?

Yes, it's Villa.

It depends on what German team shows up (and what Spanish team, though they have been very consistent thus far, but so was Holland until they lost).

OT, I loved the commentary from ESPN on Lahm's goal against the Turks to the effect of:

"It was a glorious pass to Lahm, but when he gets it, this is not the finish of a right back playing left back -- this is the finish of a 20-30 million pound striker who knows the future of his team in this tournament is on the line, and he better finish now because he might not get another chance -- and finish he does!"

If only Phil and Phil could do something like that!

goonster
06-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Yesterday Spain kicked up a notch after Villa went off. Not to suggest that Villa is a slouch, but this only hints at the very impressive depth that Spain have.

I like Lahm, really I do, but he's been a better striker than full-back.

acorn_user
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
If Villa is not playing, then Cesc Fabregas will be.... and as we know, he is amazing!

p.s. Nice to see that Lineker quote again. Spain will have to finish the game in normal time.

cadence90
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
It seems that what we're all mainly saying is....that with that miidfield, those strikers, those overlappers, Casillas in goal, and Aragones coaching...that this is Spain's Euro to win.

I sure hope so....