PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Censorship

Michael Katz
10-09-2004, 09:04 AM
What is with the computer generated censorship? I just entered a post using a phrase containing the word "wise" conected to the 3 letter term for a derierre in describing something some one had said and my post appeared as "wise***". This is more than a bit ridiculous. I think we all know where to draw the line between common vernacular and offensively vulgar or purient speech. What's next, thought police?

silly pink bunn
10-09-2004, 10:21 AM
YEah son!
I know what you is sayin. Life is rough in the streets of Compton!

Andreu
10-09-2004, 10:22 AM
.....to agree (although there are several words which I think should certainly be banned because of the connotation or offense that could be caused). If the language or topic is offensive the "offender" will get banned anyway or the will be an element of self-policing. We have a moderator to sort this kind of thing out don´t we? Anyway, posts don´t have to use common or vulgar words to be offensive...as proven several times on this forum.
A

Kevin
10-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Ben is doing what he thinks is necessary to keep the forum up and running. While I find the auto censor rather amusing, and unnecessary, if this is what Ben requires so be it.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2004, 12:37 PM
. . . of this feature of the forum. I always censor myself if I am saying something like “Holy S***!” (MY asterisks and I think most everyone above a certain age knows what they mean) or something similar that I feel might be considered offensive. I always try to remember that forum members AND their children may be looking at what I write.

There ARE certain words whose meaning is unambiguous. The “F-word” is the “F-word”--that is it’s only meaning. Most racial slurs fall into the same category. I think it’s entirely appropriate to auto-censor words such as that.

But to be unable to use phrases like “Cycling today is going to Hell in a handbasket because of doping,” or “Lance really made an *** of himself chasing Simeoni down like that during today’s stage.” seems to be carrying it a bit far. Forum members who are hell-bent (or would it be ****-bent? Or maybe it WILL be by the time it posts! ;) ) on inflicting grave insult on other members or the forum itself can do so without using these words and still be grievously insulting.

I tend to agree with Kevin--given previous experience last year in the reorganization of the forum, it may be necessary to err on the side of safety. Necessary, but not desireable or likeable, especially considering I don’t even know WHICH words are auto-censored.

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2004, 12:40 PM
. . . what I have just seen in the posting of this message, the word “hell” is not auto-censored, but the word “*ss” IS censored. Guess people are just gonna have to call me a “butt-hole” now! :rolleyes: ;)

Glad I don’t have Serotta Alyson’s job!

BBDave

MadRocketSci
10-09-2004, 01:01 PM
**** cheney
d_ick cheney
one-eyed mushroom-tipped saber of love
cock a doodle do
assignment
a$$
arse
a_sshole
cornhole
bunghole
****ake mushroom
$hit
sh_it
****e
cincinnati steamer
touch my monkey
punching the clown
felch
bufu
boner
stiffy
pitching a tent
ear muff
beaver creak
bearded clam
fartknocker

MadRocketSci
10-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Ahneida Ride
10-09-2004, 02:09 PM
#~`&^#?!!

Louis
10-09-2004, 02:30 PM
We hate it, but I suppose we all have to live with some degree of censorship - especially in this day and age. Unfortunately, any automated system is easily defeated if someone really wants to offend others.

In my opinion a stupid censor is just as bad as no censor at all. And let’s be frank about it, the censoring software used on this forum is pretty stupid.

Louis

Climb01742
10-09-2004, 04:56 PM
madrocket--thanks for expanding my vocabulary. :D

Bill Bove
10-09-2004, 05:52 PM
madrocket--thanks for expanding my vocabulary. :D I need an explanation of a couple of those words. :confused:

Does anybody else see the humor in the current vice presidents name being considered offensive on a board sponsered by a product that a member of the opposing ticket uses?

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2004, 06:09 PM
. . . any funnier than that PINK bike I saw some guy riding at Owner’s weekend! Now THERE’s a real fartknocker, don’t you think, Bill. Why, he was . . . What?--Uh, oh. Uuuuh, never mind! . . . ;) :banana:

BBDave

Bill Bove
10-09-2004, 07:00 PM
LOL!! Just figured out what a "fartknocker" is. And living where I live you'd think I'd be more sensitive of these things. Who comes up with these gems?

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
. . . you can PM me and tell ME what it means! :p :p :p :rolleyes:

BBDave

MadRocketSci
10-10-2004, 03:20 AM
madrocket--thanks for expanding my vocabulary. :D

hey no problem. i think however that mr. arsegas has a much more extensive list of off-colorisms than i. the point being that, software or no software, there are plenty of ways to be offensive with the written word :)

if anyone really wants to expand their vocab, check out the dictionary of slang from the masters of colloquialisms:

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

chocolate starfish???

MadRocket

equipoised
10-10-2004, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave]. . .
There ARE certain words whose meaning is unambiguous. The “F-word” is the “F-word”--that is it’s only meaning. ..."

Or maybe not . . .

1) To have sexual intercourse with.
2) One's partner in sexual intercourse.
3) An act of sexual intercourse.
4) To bungle or mishandle, used with "up".
5) To deal with in an agressive, unjust or sptieful manner, used with the word "with".
6) Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal, used with "off".
7) To take advantage of, betray, or cheat; victimize.

M_A_Martin
10-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Two things:
First, as previously pointed out, we're just one big happy family here. We forget that this board is sponsored by Serotta and in a way is a representation of Serotta to the world, not just those of us who post here. People surf in, take a look around, and might decide whether or not they want to buy a Serotta based on the language useage of people hanging out here. That would be silly, but I don't doubt it happens.

Second...There's that whole "argue the word, not the useage" going on here. Most words are benign in their usual everyday use, therefore you can argue that just about any word-on its own merits should not be censored.
The one thing the definitions above are missing, is the usual useage of the word. Lets turn to a page in good old Merrium-Webster's dictionary and notice the useage notes for the verb (provided below). As you can see, that particular word is usually used in an obscene or vulgar manner.

1 usually obscene : COPULATE -- sometimes used in the present participle as a meaningless intensive
2 usually vulgar : MESS 3 -- used with with
transitive senses
1 usually obscene : to engage in coitus with -- sometimes used interjectionally with an object (as a personal or reflexive pronoun) to express anger, contempt, or disgust
2 usually vulgar : to deal with unfairly or harshly : CHEAT, SCREW

I think everyone here probably has a large enough vocabulary to think of other words to use other than the censored words, or a more polite way of phrasing their statements.

Michael Katz
10-10-2004, 08:21 AM
The problem though is that we don't know what words or phrases will be censored and the program does not adress context. In addition, as has been pointed out, there are loads of ways to circumvent the program.

To put this in context, here's the portion of the post that triggered me to start this thread. It's from the thread "What Got You Started":

"At 17 I got my first car and the bike went by the wayside as my play time got taken up with cars and motorcyles. Over the years I kept in shape by running and lifting weights. In July 1993, my wife's brother-in-law with some degree of smugness announced that he was doing an MS 150 ride in September with a friend of his and invited me to do it with them if I thought I could "keep up". Made some wise *** comments about how I was turning 40 and they didn't want to be too tough on me. I decided it would be a fun adventure and challenge and took him up on his offer."

Hardly vulgar in usuage and context, not attacking of anyone posting on the thread or offensive and in fact my choice of words was designed to convey the subjective tenor and style of my brother-in-law's comments to me. It was a part of the story. But now we have to second guess how we express ourselves. Wouldn't it be better to just sanction those who abuse the use of this board rather than have some illconceived and implimented filter that doesn't work very well other than to chill harmless free expression.

Tom
10-10-2004, 09:06 AM
The irony of one Mr. Richard Pound's name being censored is pretty good, too.

"**** Pound, the Head of the World Anti-Doping Association, said today..."

Tom
10-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Just smoked my session when I tried to click on BBDave's Livestrong thread. I used to think it was the exclamation points that did it but further testing has revealed it's the "BumbleBeeDave" string that is the culprit. A shock of recognition the world round, eh?

Andreu
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
We cannot say *** but we can show :butt:.
That´s funny.
Only in America.
A :beer:

Climb01742
10-10-2004, 09:37 AM
but hey, at the end of the day, even if ben asked us to wear silly hats while posting, i would for the chance to keep the forum up and running. whatever his groundrules or software is, hey its his sandbox and i'm happy to be allowed to play here. a few nimrods -- te-he, te-he, i said "rod" -- once pushed things over the line and shut this puppy down. if some schoolmarmish software keeps this puppy up and running, small price, no?

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2004, 10:07 AM
. . . everyone on the forum does NOT wear funny hats while posting?!?!?!

Tom, you lied to me again! And all to sell off some of your funny hat collection!

BBDave

RABikes2
10-10-2004, 02:29 PM
. . . you can PM me and tell ME what it means! :p :p :p :rolleyes:

BBDave

PM that meaning to me too, Bill! BBDave and RA are bewildered?!?! :confused:

Ozz
10-12-2004, 11:22 AM
LOL!! Just figured out what a "fartknocker" is. And living where I live you'd think I'd be more sensitive of these things. Who comes up with these gems?

I'd say most came from your typical middle-school kid....

M_A_Martin
10-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Whoa, I didn't get the funny hat notice...will I get banned for not posting with a funny hat on?

Elefantino
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I do not need a funny hat.

Sincerely,
Richard Cabeza

BigMac
10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
It appears only I am a bit confused by what sort of controversy has aroused so many responses. Ben & Co, who so generously provide this bandwidth free of charge and who despite this being a very brand specific forum continue to allow unfettered discussions of other competing brands w/o any consideration of Serotta and their products, however when they install a language filter that may block certain words, most of which many of us would never use in mixed company or in the presence of juveniles, folks vehemently object. Heck, I'm all for 1st amendment rights but please, this is a private forum intended as a sales and information resource for ALL persons of all ages. Is the filter perfect? Well, no if it cannot distinguish the truncated name for Richard from the male organ, but does that matter?

Maybe rather than focussing on the faults of such a system, we can raise the bar a bit, improve our diction along the way. Lord knows I wish I were 1/3 as articulate as Professor Brooks. It just seems like such a petty detail for complaints that if you really have a profound need to use expletives, there are I am sure plenty of similar forums that will accomodate your desires. Better yet, get off the web altogether, get out and ride away such anger. The dawn of Winter is nearing, we should all focus more on using the bike(s) we already have and less time discussing whatever bike, gear or what have you that you feel will make you a better rider, person or whatever.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Andreu
10-13-2004, 03:20 AM
BigMac,
That´s the whole point....we are raising the bar ... quoting ****ens and the like (and the "rear" :butt: in question over here is more akin to a mule, we don´t use that word! - well not much).
I am grateful that we have the opportunity to post here but I find the auto-censor infantile.
A :beer:

William
10-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I ** **** ***** ** * it ***** **** ** ***t** ** maybe *****. ****** to do. ***** *f* *** ********* patriot*** ** ***w*****8 ****act. * **** ** *****donkey *** *****. *** ***head ** between *** *** legs. **** *** * Ashcroft?

*I **** up. :crap:

William

Tom
10-13-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't think the meaning's lost and in some cases (Mr. Pound, for example) it adds an unintended meaning that can be pretty funny.

A somewhat unsophisticated algorithm for text string filtering really doesn't affect meaning or context. We can very easily understand what someone's trying to say. (Except when dbrk writes. Ho ho!) That's the beauty of this board, we can be morons within very lenient constraints.

MadRocketSci
10-13-2004, 12:14 PM
if it ain't broke don't fix it

MadRocketSci
10-13-2004, 01:36 PM
sorry, couldn't resist...

[Mr. Serotta:] There are times when you get suckered in
By drugs and alchohol and sex with women-mmkay
But its when you do these things too much
That you've become an addict and must get back in touch
You can do it Its all up to you-mmmmmkay
With a little plan you can change your life tooo-day
You dont have to spend your life addicted to smack
Homeless on the streets giving handjobs for crack
Follow my plan and very soon you will see-eeyy, its easy mmkay

Step 1: Instead of a$$ say buns, like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns hole"

Step 2: Instead of $hit say poo, as in "bull poo", "poo head" and this "poo is cold"

Step 3: With b_itch drop the t because bich is latin for generosity

Step 4: Dont say fcuk any more because fcuk is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

[Children:] We can do it its all up to us-mmmkay (mmmkay)
With a little plan we can change our lives tooo-day
Mr. Serotta: you can change it today
Everyone: We don't have to spend our lives shootin up in the trash
Homeless on the streets giving handjobs for cash
Follow this plan and very soon you will see-eey
Its easy mmkay!

[Mr. Serotta:] Step 1 Children: Instead of a$$ say buns,
like kiss my buns or you're a buns hole

[Mr. Serotta:] Step 2 Children: Instead of $hit say poo,
as in bull poo, poo head and this poo is cold

[Mr. Serotta:] Step 3 Children: With bi_tch drop the t
because bich is latin for generosity

[Mr. Serotta:] Step 4 Children: Dont say fcuk any more

[Everyone:] Cuz fcuk is the worst word that you can say
[Children:] fcuk is the worst word that you can say
We shouldn't say fcuk, no we shouldn't say fcuk, fcuk nooooo!!!
[Mr. Serotta:] Your cured, you can go!
[Everyone:] We don't have to spend our lives shootin up in the trash
homeless on the streets giving handjobs for cash
Follow this plan and very soon you will saaay
Its easy mmmkay!
[Children:] It's easy mmmkay!
[Mr. Serotta:] It's easy mmmkay!
[Children:] It's easy mmmkay!
[Mr. Serotta:] It's easy mmmkaaaaaaaayy
[Children:] It's easy mmm
It's easy mmm
It's easy mmm