PDA

View Full Version : Quality Control?

gdw
06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I was tuning up a mid priced commuter bike for a friend this weekend and encountered the worst set of factory wheels that I've ever seen. The spokes on the front are so long that they actually worked their way through the rim strip and punctured the tube. The rear spokes are all the same length, drive and non-drive side, and the wheel is off center by about 5mm. The spoke tension varied so wildly that I'd be scared to take the thing off a curb. This bike is from a major manufacturer and is downright dangerous. Has anyone encountered similar problems?

cadence231
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes.
On a group ride a few weeks ago, a fellow had a slow leak. When we investigated we found that a spoke had gone through the rubber base "tape".
The wheel was a Shimano.

bozman
06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
my father purchased an inexpensive cruiser bike from REI. he had one spoke after another break on the original wheel set. he finally took it it back to REI and they replaced the wheel set with the next step up. so far so good.

OldDog
06-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I was tuning up a mid priced commuter bike for a friend this weekend and encountered the worst set of factory wheels that I've ever seen. The spokes on the front are so long that they actually worked their way through the rim strip and punctured the tube. The rear spokes are all the same length, drive and non-drive side, and the wheel is off center by about 5mm. The spoke tension varied so wildly that I'd be scared to take the thing off a curb. This bike is from a major manufacturer and is downright dangerous. Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Sounds like the typical Schwinns I assembled as a young pup. I think I got a hernia lifting Varsity's and Continental's in and out of the stands.

scrooge
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I couldn't keep the Ritchey wheels that came on my old Fuji together...

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2008, 01:02 PM
. . . "Ergott" on them? ;) ;) ;)

Excuse me . . . have to go put on flame-proof suit now . . . :eek:

BBD

michael white
06-25-2008, 01:38 PM
now you know why the elite builders always use duct tape over the rim strip! sorry you had to learn the hard way . . .

Ahneida Ride
06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
My LBS guru built my wheels ....

They could jump the Grand Canyon... :)

Enigma
06-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Say the brand name. There is less pain in telling the truth.

scrooge
06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
now you know why the elite builders always use duct tape over the rim strip! sorry you had to learn the hard way . . .

Interesting. I thought it was because they were just too cheap to buy real rim tape.
Guess i learned something today!