PDA

View Full Version : RMNP: Trail Ridge Road vs. Fall River Road

scrooge
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm going to be in RMNP next weekend (actually, Sun-Tues) and would like to ride up to the Alpine Visitors center from the West Side (I'm staying at a friend's cabin near Grand Lake). So, should I take Trail Ridge Road (on my road bike) or Fall River Road (presumably on my 29er MTB)?
Can anyone speak from experience? I gather Fall River is steeper, but it might be nice to check out some new scenery, and perhaps deal with less traffic? Can it actually be ridden from the West side?

dauwhe
06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I thought Fall River Road was one way (up) from the east (Estes Park) side. From Grand Lake, I think Trail Ridge is your only option. Luckily it's a great option!

Dave

scrooge
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I think you might be right about that...clearly I need to do a little more research.

93legendti
06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Trail Ridge is an epic ride. Highest continuous paved road in America, iirc. I did it in '96. It was COLD at the top - and it was July. I had a cheap $20 Nashbar rainsuit for warmth and 3-4 riders tried to buy it off me at the top.

weatherman
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I think you might be right about that...clearly I need to do a little more research.

Yes, that is correct. If there are cars on Fall River it might actually be harder to deal with than Trail Ridge as the road is narrow and not paved so lots of dust, not to mention blind corners. Trail Ridge is probably safer, then again Fall River wouldn't have any buses on it!

Joel
06-25-2008, 06:20 AM
I have not done the west side, but have done the east side several times. Fall River as mentioned is a east side ride.

Anyway, to your point on the Apline Visitors Center, it does sit a couple of miles from the high point on the road if you're coming up from the west, so you actually have to go past it to get to the "top".

Trail Ridge is not horribly steep, but it is a grind. A long scenic, mindblowing, epic, lovely ride that is absolutely not to be missed if you are out there.

Just start at the very crack of dawn. You'll see lots of wildlife that way too...I'll never forget watching a mountain lion quietly stalk me behind rocks as I was climbing.

The other good reason to start early is there can be some stong T-Storms in the afternoon and traffic can get heavy. Pack warm clothes for the trip down.

Looking forward to your ride report!

Joel