PDA

View Full Version : fast and reliable sew-up

flickwet
06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Wanna put a fine pair of sew ups on my old Roval wheels and run them on my Colarado. I want tuff and fast 21 or 23's did I say tuff? I want something with a Kevlar belt or equivalent I've run sew-ups before and dislike dealing with flats. What do you recommend and where do I get'm. I know fast reliable cheap pick any two, I'll forgo cheap.

paczki
06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Wanna put a fine pair of sew ups on my old Roval wheels and run them on my Colarado. I want tuff and fast 21 or 23's did I say tuff? I want something with a Kevlar belt or equivalent I've run sew-ups before and dislike dealing with flats. What do you recommend and where do I get'm. I know fast reliable cheap pick any two, I'll forgo cheap.

Conti Sprinters

Hardlyrob
06-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Veloflex Carbons

zap
06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Conti Comp 22.

Mud
06-24-2008, 09:32 AM
They seem to be tougher than the Vittoria but it does sacrifice some ride quality. But they are tougher to put on. Vittoria Ralleys are tough and ride like a board. I did not like Tufos but they are pretty tough. The Veloflex ride great but are out of my price range.

Big Daddy
06-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Conti Sprinters

+1 (you could even go gatorskin Sprinters_

flickwet
06-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I think I'll try the gator's see'in as how the contis got some good press here

Hardlyrob
06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I run gatorskins on my winter bike - a word of advice - PRE STRETCH!!!

These are tighter than most tubulars I used - takes some work, but they will go on.

Rob

mister
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
i ride the sprinters, they seem to be pretty tough and i weigh around 190lbs so they don't ride too stiff.
i get the ones that are listed as black/brown...they seem to be a little more supple than the full black ones.
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=COSTS
the gatorskins felt a little more supple too. i think the black coating on the sidewall of the all black ones stiffens them up a bit.

the vittoria rally. i wouldn't spend any money on.

ps you can get htem alot cheaper from ribble cycles.

bfd
06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Has anyone tried these tires:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

The price is right, but are they any good?

mister
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
someone i know tried them. they were his first tubs, i think he has given up on tubs now. i remember he said something about hte basetape peeling off pretty quick. maybe he put too much glue on and it soaked through to hte basetape glue therfore making it peel. i'm not sure. i don't know if htey were lumpy.

musgravecycles
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
+1 to the Sprinters.

The words "tough" and "tubular" in the same sentence leave 1 really good option (well Competitions are pretty tough too)...

markie
06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
to extend Flickwet's original question....

I am not used to running skinny clinchers. Are there any wider tubulars that are puncture resistant?

MilanoTom
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
+1 to the Sprinters.

The words "tough" and "tubular" in the same sentence leave 1 really good option (well Competitions are pretty tough too)...

+1 Gatorskin Sprinters. If you have the extra dough, the newer Comp 22 has a Vectran belt (unlike the older version, which had more nylon plies), which probably makes it at least as flat-resistant as the Gatorskin Sprinters.

If it was me, however, I'd try to find some of the newer team issue-type Comp 25 ProTection with the Vectran belt and Gatorskin sidewalls. I've got the older ProTection 25s (w/Gatorskin, w/out Vectran) on my Grandis, and they're great. The extra width gives them a little smoother ride than one usually associates with Conti.

Regards.
Tom

MilanoTom
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
to extend Flickwet's original question....

I am not used to running skinny clinchers. Are there any wider tubulars that are puncture resistant?

World Class Cycles has a limited edition Black Chili Comp 25 with a Vectran belt. Not cheap, but worth the money ATMO.

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular_tires_only_cart.htm

Regards.
Tom

Fixed
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
bro i got some vits. with tan sidewalls put them on and every 8 inchs there is a crack or like a seam cant ride them like that ..i got one ride out of them
cheers

Fixed
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
the old rovals from the 80's ? the tires will be worth more than the wheels imho
cheers

flickwet
06-27-2008, 12:48 AM
they are the old ones, took' em to my lbs today, a shout out to CC in Peninsula! bought a pair of sprinters These are gonna be awsome oldschool cool to me. Not gonna be my regular wheels more like an occasional blast. the Rovals are light and straight but seem a bit frail so to speak, the tires may outlast the wheelset, I'll take it easy on'em. put a straight block 12-19 7 spd will run em on my Colorado with downtube shifting croce d'aunet? ya know pretty vintage (like me) campy

40x14
06-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Riding new vittoria corsa cx's out out to a race, a medium sized shard of glass caused sudden blowout. This led me to start using Tufo's liquid tire sealant.

The stuff is pretty cool. Squirt about 10-15 grams of it inside the tire and it remains in a semi liquid state. It can be used to prevent minor cuts from causing flats and also to prevent blowouts. The idea is that the liquid latex gushes to the hole where air is escaping, catalyzes with the air, hardens, and immediately plugs it (the hole).

So far I like how it is working for me. I'd still like to try the conti 4000s tubies for their durability.