PDA

View Full Version : Bike Stands

Karl Lee
06-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm in the market for a new workstand and I've kind of narrowed the search to the PARK or ULTIMATE brands I think. When calling around to shops, recommendations include Topeak, Pedro's, Performance House Brand, and others...

Anyone have a favorite and a reason why?

My last stand was a Park, got borrowed and I may never see it again. and don't want to wait anymore.

NOTE: I have your basic garage set up and like to work on my bikes on weekends and before/after rides. I also like the option to move the stand out to the driveway to wash and lube so that big giant PRO stand from PARK is out! I'm not a pro wrench but I like well made designs. Thanks.

maunahaole
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Karl - I have the Ultimate and it is an OK stand and I have been satisfied with it aside from a couple of nitpicky things. First, the part that holds the clamp will slip when trying to work a really stuck BB out. Second, it is important to have plenty of room to set it up as the folding legs take up a lot of area. It is possible to squeeze it into tighter spots, but you lose the ability to turn the cranks, or the rear tire will rub, unless you jack it up really high.

I like how it collapses down to a compact size for storage. I live in a small space, and it is good to get it out of the way when I'm not using it.

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15614-370_SETSD5_KIT-2-Accessories-45-Workstands/Sette-ST-7-DLX-Workstand-w_-Tray-and-Tote-Bag.htm

Works great, $146 to my door with shipping and you get a tote bag and a tool tray with it!

BBD

chuckroast
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I have no frame of reference to other stands but my Ultimate has been good to me. It's a folding one also but I've never had occasion to fold the legs back up. It sits in a corner of the garage when not in use but it's light enough to move out in the driveway when needed.

Karl Lee
06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys the Ultimate seems to a popular fave, Bumblebee I do like the tray idea, after my kids get finished "organizing my garage" I can't find half my tools! This would help me somewhat. There's an Ultimate and an Ultimate Elite or something....mmm don't know. I wish there were a place that carried every stand and you could go down the line and compare. Kind of like George and the Wedding Invitations, xcept well, you know!!

Fixed
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Ultimate support makes things for everyone been around well over 20 years
i had a keyboard stand from them years ago when i was on the road.. amp stands too bro you know that already
cheers :beer: imho

Karl Lee
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Chuckroast, back in the day I went to Rockhurst College, lasted a year under those tough Jesuits haha. My "lady" lived in Lee's Summit and we ate at Gates every day!

93LegendTG
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Park PRS-20. Perfect bomb proof stand.

Karl Lee
06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Legend I saw that stand on sale at one of the distributors. My last workstand was a PARK, 7-8 years old but still going strong. Fixed, you da man.

jhcakilmer
06-23-2008, 09:42 PM
+1 for the Park PRS-20.

Holds the bike up, less bending down (great for all heights, but especially nice for taller guys). Also, the base is very sturdy, and you do not clamp a tube or seatpost, and since the bike is cradled it is much easier to torque BBs, etc....bike will not shake.

pdxmech13
06-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm a little impartial to the newer Park models that the bike "sits' on.
With many new bikes coming with funky shaped seatpost/mast it is a no brainer when attaching the bike.

jtferraro
06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
recieved the Ultimate Pro Elite as a Christmas gift from my wife and have no complaints. That said, it's my first stand so I don't really have a frame of reference. I like the quick release button and feel it's a well made product. I have yet to fold it down and bring it up from my basement, but I'm sure I will do just that this summer. I can just see setting it up on my back deck, placing my bike in it, and giving it a real cleaning/washing (w/hose, soap, etc.). I also have the tool tray accessory and that thingy which keeps the front wheel from turning.

Kane
06-24-2008, 01:48 AM
if you are going to using carbon seatposts on a carbon frame, get the Park stand that holds the bike by the bottom bracket and fork/rear dropout.

If your bike is steel, Ti or Al the Ultimate is a great stand. I own a Park 5 which is a lot like that 'cheese' stand the BBDave likes. Very Tippy!

Cheers,

Kane

dnades
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Got it for christmas last year. Nice stand. Well machined and nice clamp. Like the quick release and it is pretty sturdy. I have managed to get a stuck bb out but the stand definitely moved around. The clamp didn't spin though. The legs do take up some room when opened and I always forget how they unpack. I guess you could trip over them but it would be a challenge. It folds up small for storage which I like as I don't have a lot of room to leave it out. The bag it goes in is very sturdy and the tool tray is great. The only other stand I have used is the Park ps-9(?)- kind of an entry level stand(about 90 bucks or so) and the ultimate is easily twice the stand. The only other stand that I would look at would be the park prs20- the one that grabs your bottom bracket. That would be a much more solid stand as you are supporting the frame from underneath rather than hanging it off of an arm. Good luck!!

Karl Lee
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys, good reviews. I don't really need a super duper stand but the Ultimate Pro Elite with the pushbutton release is pretty tempting. I guess I need to order one soon because if I just go into a local bike shop I'm such an impulse buyer that I'll get what they have.

jsfoster
06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Park PRS-20. Perfect bomb proof stand.

+1, and they make a lighter one also, but the steel is great, does NOT mar the bike at all, and folds up small.

-Jon

TiGuy
06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
When I needed a part for my Ultimate last year, the customer service people implied that getting the part would require them to ask the factory to ship it from the Orient, which they quickly ruled out. They suggested I buy a new stand, and in a semi-rude kind of way, they questioned why anyone would want to repair a 10-year old stand. Really annoying and unhelpful.

In contrast, Park has really good customer service. An example: When I called to buy a replacement part for my chain cleaning device, they insisted on replacing the whole unit free. They make really good stuff and they are good people, too.

KeithS
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
I've had a Park bench mounted stand I bought for next to nothing at a moving sale at my LBS. Used all the time and still looks/works like new. The thing is bullet proof and watertight....

I'm also partial since Park is local (White Bear Lake MN) for me. They do have really great stuff and superior customer service.

Karl Lee
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone, I got the Ultimate Pro Elite with the push button transmission. Not bad, way overkill but it will be the coolest tool in my garage. Had to send off for it, may be here in time for the weekend :beer: