PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of the Serotta Forum

Sandy
06-23-2008, 06:31 AM
The Serotta Forum possesses a special spirit, a function of those who participate and interact here. It is manifested in a special kindness and sensitivity. A simple example:

Smiley very recently found out that one of his two dogs is very ill. It has been devastating to him. But instead of focusing entirely on his own problems, he has shown that "special kindness and sensitivity" to me. I have hardly cycled for 6 months and he knows how that has remarkably negatively affected the quality of my life. So he selflessly posted a thread trying to get me to ride again in addition to his very regular phone calls about it.

I was out in my yard yesterday when Smiley and Zap show up, unknown to me until my wife mentioned it. They had ridden over and were going to wait for me to go on a slow paced ride to help get me back to riding again. Both are superior riders to me, even if I am in riding condition. They wanted to do a slow paced ride (so I could keep up) to a local Starbucks or bagel shop and both spent a great deal of time trying to convince me. As I did not want to hinder/impede their cycling enjoyment, I promised them I would ride 20 miles later that day, which I did- A very slow ride, but a start.

Zap and Smiley were quite kind and sensitive to me- an exammple of the spirit and goodness that exists on this forum. It abounds. Ray received great advice/concern/sensitivity in a thread about an attack on his dog. Smiley received sensitive and caring responses about the illness of his dog. Posters always are genuinely concerned if others here have problems- bicycle accidents, personal family tragedies, illness, business problems, interpersonal stressful situations....It doesn't really matter what. If you have a problem and you need help, there are always kind folks here to assist you. Bicycle parts are given to others here, and special considerations/trust is apparent in purchases/sales made through the Classified Section.

This is a cycling forum, and one will always receive genuinely helpful and sincere responses to any cycling specific question. But to me, this place is special because it has special selfless people that possess that special kindness and sensitivity mentioned above.

Sandy

jabbahop
06-23-2008, 06:49 AM
you and we are lucky to have quality people around.

rwsaunders
06-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Ride on Sandy. :beer:

Smiley
06-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Its more then a forum its a comunity that cares. That's why I like it here. The friends that I have made are PRICELESS.

Kevan
06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
my electric cattle prod is available should you need it. Be careful though...Sandy LIKES it.

barry1021
06-23-2008, 01:32 PM
are good people. Fact.

b21

shinomaster
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Sandy, this truly is a special place, and it always has been. :beer:

Lifelover
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Great post Sandy.

However, don't assume it is a burden for folks to ride slower than their normal pace. It often can be just as rewarding for them.

I'm of the opinion that too many recreational road cyclist take the sport to seriously and going on a slow pace ride can remind them of why they rode as kids.

Fixed
06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
it is good for them to a have a slow day ..look around see stuff talk to friends etc
cheers imho

93legendti
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Great post Sandy.

However, don't assume it is a burden for folks to ride slower than their normal pace. It often can be just as rewarding for them...

Every ride is a good ride, no matter what the pace. Friends along for company make a good ride better.

Sandy, this truly is a special place, and it always has been. :beer:

Well said.

flickwet
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Its more then a forum its a comunity that cares. That's why I like it here. The friends that I have made are PRICELESS.I've said it before I'll say it again The Serottonians Rule Baby, I've learned soooo much about soooo much, for years I lurked and did not post I'm on this forum now on a regular basis I try to listen more than talk but logoreah strikes

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
You are hereby ordered to go on a ride with Smiley . . . don't make me come down there! :crap: :no: ;) :D

BBD

soulspinner
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Let their caring inspire you Sandy! Get on that beautiful new steel Serotta and ease on down the road...

1centaur
06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, some of us are nice but...Sandy, how did the ride feel? Time wasted or time well spent?

BTW - +1 to Lifelover on assuming burden. I would delighted to ride slowly with someone (the right someone) sometimes, whether to smell the roses or practice some ridiculous spin speed. I can't make myself do that by myself because my rides are too few and I want distance.

paczki
06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Sandy,

You've inspired me to go hit the rollers!

Sandy
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, some of us are nice but...Sandy, how did the ride feel? Time wasted or time well spent?

BTW - +1 to Lifelover on assuming burden. I would delighted to ride slowly with someone (the right someone) sometimes, whether to smell the roses or practice some ridiculous spin speed. I can't make myself do that by myself because my rides are too few and I want distance.

Ride felt great overall. Was glad to get back on the bike. Expected to have no endurance, diminished leg strength and power, more difficulty in climbing, loss of muscle mass, increased weight (substantial) and poor cardiovascular conditioning. Bingo- Correct on all counts. But it was a start. Hope to be able to get into sufficient shape to go to dbrk's Ramble and meet his wonder dog, Mira the Silken Windhound. Now to keep at it.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Sandy

PS- Love the all steel Coeur D' Ancier (or however you say it) thus far.

Sandy
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Its more then a forum its a comunity that cares. That's why I like it here. The friends that I have made are PRICELESS.

You nailed it. "It's more than a forum, it's a community that cares."

Sandy

flickwet
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
What happened to you? I've only gotten involved in the forum in the last cupla months. Your one of the historical figures here and for you not to be riding and from what you have intimated at you got hurt or sick. It may not be my/our business but hey we all need each other to be a community.

For the record, 2 Goldens: Betty and Bernice, Bernice is a G.R.I.N. dog, true souls dwell within them both

TAW
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Love the forum and its participants. I've never had a problem that I didn't get some good solutions for and kind discussions. Thanks to Serotta for providing it and for taking care of it. Good for you for riding, Sandy. :)