PDA

View Full Version : Ot:rip George Carlin

1happygirl
06-23-2008, 05:11 AM
From Yahoo:
Edgy comic George Carlin dies in L.A., aged 71

By Dean GoodmanMon Jun 23, 2:44 AM ET

Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs, dirty words and the demise of humanity, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material developed over 50 years, the bald, bearded Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

The Grammy-winning Carlin remained an active presence on the comedy circuit. Carlin was scheduled to receive the John F. Kennedy Center's prestigious Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in November and his publicist said Carlin performed in Las Vegas this month.

His comedic sensibility revolved around a central theme: humanity is a cursed, doomed species.

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin told Playboy in 2005 that he looked forward to an afterlife where he could watch the decline of civilization on a "heavenly CNN."

"The world is a big theater-in-the round as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love to watch it spin itself into oblivion," he said. "Tune in and watch the human adventure."

AWARDS

Carlin wrote three best-selling books, won four Grammy Awards, recorded 22 comedy albums, headlined 14 HBO television specials, and hosted hundreds of variety shows. One was the first episode of "Saturday Night Live" in 1975, when he was high on cocaine.

Drug addiction plagued him for much of his life, beginning with marijuana experimentation as a teen, graduating to cocaine in the 1970s, and then to prescription painkillers and wine. During the cocaine years, Carlin ignored his finances and ended up owing about $3 million in back taxes. In 2004, he entered a Los Angeles rehab clinic for his alcohol and Vicodin abuse.

George Dennis Carlin was born on May 12, 1937, in New York City, where he was raised with an older brother by their single mother. He fondly recalled that the nuns at his school tolerated his early comedic inclinations.

After a brief, troubled stint in the U.S. Air Force, he started honing his comic act, developing such characters as Al Sleet, a "hippie-dippie weatherman."

Carlin told Playboy that his sensibilities developed in the 1950s, "when comedy stopped being safe ... (and) became about saying no to authority." He cited such influences as Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory and Bob Newhart.

He also dabbled in movies and television, recently voicing a hippie Volkswagen bus named Fillmore in the Pixar cartoon "Cars."

Carlin is survived by his second wife Sally Wade; daughter Kelly Carlin McCall; and brother Patrick. His first wife, Brenda, died of cancer in 1997. News of his death was first reported by the television show "Entertainment Tonight."

(Additional reporting by Steve Gorman; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

A lot of stuff I didn't know.

AND from YOUTUBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67k9eEw9AY on language
on similarities:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgps85scy1g&feature=related
even though some ideas I didn't agree with, some stuff was funny (that was clean). Never did appreciate the language, in that respect I always admire Bill Cosby.
FWIW, didn't watch the clips totally. They were recommended.

Kevan
06-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Hippie-dippie weatherman.

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2008, 06:43 AM
. . . a troubled genius, but a genius nevertheless.

BBD

Fixed
06-23-2008, 06:44 AM
another bro goes
cheers

Sandy
06-23-2008, 06:48 AM
another bro goes
cheers

Appears as if many talented people with very unique personalities have passed away recently.

Sandy

rwsaunders
06-23-2008, 07:32 AM
"I went to a family restaurant the other night. There was an argument taking place at every table." The man was one of the best.

gt6267a
06-23-2008, 07:54 AM
yesterday on an xm comedy channel they played an interview with carlin. it was an excellent piece about his career and performances. he was thoughtful and provacative in a very positive way. while not his most serious line, my favorite carlin bit:

... About this time, someone is telling you to get on the plane. "Get on the plane. Get on the plane." I say, "fruck you, I'm getting IN the plane! IN the plane! Let Evil Knievel get ON the plane! I'll be in here with you folks in uniform! There seems to be less WIND in here!" .... [a little later in the routine] Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss.

Russell
06-23-2008, 08:14 AM
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too! tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time >to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people....who cares?

George Carlin

Ray
06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Damn. One less of the few people on earth I relate to almost totally. And he was a spokesman who was willing to really hang it out there. Funny too. I saw him a couple of years ago. I'm gonna miss him.

edit - great example Russell. A real social commentator in addition to being funny as hell. But even when he wasn't funny, he was great.

-Ray

Bobbo
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
See my beard
Ain't it weird
Don't be skeered
It's only a beard

I loved his take on how houses are just places to put our stuff. And so we need bigger houses, cause we gotta have more stuff, man.

Tom
06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Lately I heard him talking about how we're screwed as a country because the people are bought off with gadgets. Instead of paying attention we're running off to buy the latest toaster that sends e-mail.

ThasFACE
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Bums me out to hear about this. His was the first comedy show I ever went to (at MSG when I was but a youngster).

1happygirl
06-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Russell & Bobbo:

Loved those quotes. I wasn't really aware of a lot of his stuff. Most of it was done before my time and/or I wasn't exposed to it by my parents due to my age. Thanks for enlightening me. It is later than we think always.

BURCH
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Lately I heard him talking about how we're screwed as a country because the people are bought off with gadgets. Instead of paying attention we're running off to buy the latest toaster that sends e-mail.

This fact was actually bothering the other day. I met up with a couple on Friday night that I haven't seen in a while. They had just bought a small gadget that they brought to dinner and drinks aftwards. I swear by the end of the night, I was ready to grab it and step on it. We barely connected because of the damn tech toy. It was frustrating. Similar to being with someone that sits there and text messages the whole time.

GC, "What ever happened to a kid playing with a stick in the yard? Now it is all pre-arranged playdates with parents attached. What happened to a kid, a stick, and them digging a $#%#ing hole with it I don't think that there are anymore sticks. They have all been recalled because of lead paint"

H1449-6
06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
One of the greats. RIP.

Flat Out
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too! tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time >to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people....who cares?

George Carlin

George was awesome. I hope I don't bum anyone out by telling you that he didn't actually write this and in fact thought that it was "a sappy load of ****."

Here's the snopes link:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

RIP, George.

CMY
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Sad to see him go.

Kevan
06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
if they ever found that woman and stopped her?

Russell
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
George was awesome. I hope I don't bum anyone out by telling you that he didn't actually write this and in fact thought that it was "a sappy load of ****."

Here's the snopes link:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

RIP, George.
Now I am really bummed.

1happygirl
06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
George direct quote, I heard him say:

Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize 1/2 the people are stupider than that.- George Carlin

Jeff N.
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
"Scientists have discovered a new disease that has no symptoms and has no cure. Fortunately, there have been no reported cases so far."
Also, "I often think about how different the world would be if Hitler hadn't been turned down for Art School..." -Carlin

Fixed
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
bro he goes to hospital with chest pain goes out dead ..
why couldn't they help? he was 71 ..
cheers

malcolm
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Fixed, sometimes there is just nothing that can be done. Depending on how weakened his heart was it just may not have been strong enough to save. Even though 71 isn't that old, you don't have a whole lot of reserve at that age if you take a big hit. What is really hard is when a youngster comes in walking and talking and doesn't leave. Mr. Carlin had 71 full years, more than a lot of us get.

Fixed
06-23-2008, 07:36 PM
thanks sorry i didn't mean for it to sound like someone goofed....
just 71 is here before we know it .
g.c. packed a lot of years into 71
he was respected and loved by many most of us would like that when we are gone
cheers imho

bozman
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Olbermann paid tribute to Carlin last night by replaying an interview he did with Carlin recently. Carlin's line about the gadgets was a cell phone that made toast. Same general idea.

One of my favorite of his quotes is my new signature for now. He was a genious.

rounder
06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Just got done watching george videos on you tube tonight. Loved the seven words and airplane bits. He was hysterical...RIP george. Wish people i like would stop dying so young.

Ray
06-25-2008, 03:59 AM
One of my favorite of his quotes is my new signature for now. He was a genious.
Or, per your sig, perhaps just smarter than average? :D

As to 71 being young, I don't think its such a tragedy. Hey, if I packed as much life in as someone like Carlin, I'd figure 71 was pretty ripe. If I'd lived like Garcia, I'd figure lasting to 53 was getting away with highway robbery. I'd rather live fully and croak at 71 than be careful all the time and make it to 85. Although its interesting how MOST of us get more careful as we get older. Not sure how that works. But the real tragedy's are the spate of rock-stars who jump off at 27. Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain... I think there were a few others too. That's just crazy young any way you slice it. Yet they all had time to leave a hell of a mark.

-Ray

johnnymossville
06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I went over to youtube and listened to a few Carlin bits also. He was a genius. I know a lot of people that would do well to listen to some of what he said over the years. Kinda puts things in perspective.

My two favorites: Saving the Earth, and Carlin on Kids.

CMY
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Although its interesting how MOST of us get more careful as we get older. Not sure how that works.
Could never figure that out either.. If I get to 80, I'm sure as sh*t not going to be dawdling along at 55mph on the freeway. Might as well do 90mph because I don't have much time to waste!

I have gotten more careful as I age, but it's only because I've learned what can hurt me or what I don't have control over (and I've tempted fate more than one human should already). No regrets on my end.

trocared
06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
baseball vs. football

johnnymossville
06-25-2008, 01:52 PM
baseball vs. football

I just watched that after you mentioned it. Amazing! Thanks!

trophyoftexas
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
One of the most wonderful nights of shooting I have ever enjoyed was about 15-16 years ago when Carlin appeared in Houston at the Theatre in the Round out in Sharpstown...his opening act was Leon Redbone and between the two of them I was treated to great music, great comedy, and just about every facial expression a photographer could hope for....truely one of the most enjoyed events that I've ever attended or photographed....if they weren't all on film and not digital I'd post some and share but a little too much work to "deframe and reframe" in order to scan....but they are cooooool!