PDA

View Full Version : Let the Weekend Ride Reports Begin

CaptStash
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Rode Tour de Balst for the first time on saturday. For those who don't know about it, Tour de Blast is a well organized and supported ride up Mt. St. Helens. 82 miles round trip with some 6500 or so feet of climbing.

I have to admit that I suffered greatly. Overall it is a really satisfying ride, but I think that trying to do it while suffering from a cold was a dicey proposition. All of the rest stops were very well staffed with friendly helpful volunteers.

The ride is highlighted by three different climbs, the first is about six miles and gets you to Elk Rock (elevation 3800 ft) which is at ~27 miles, then you descend 1270 feet to and do one more climb up to the Johnston Ridge Viewpoint at 4,200 ft. After a kick-a$$ descent you get to climb back up to Elk Rock then fly home on descents and rolling highway.

The riude was complicated for me by the fact that I cleverly left my helmet at the summit and didn't realize until I was alreadyt a mile and ahlf down the mountain. Back up I went feeling very sheepish. The worst part is that it was blowing 30 kts or so at the top, and I discovered I had forgotten my helmet only after almost wiping out in the crosswind. At about 30 mph II ghot hit hard with a gust and went into death wobbles. I got the bike under control by letting it go "where it wanted" and gently easing on the brakes. Pretty scary when you consider I wasn't wearing a helmet!

After the ride, showers (but not hot!) were available at the high school gym, followed by a surprisingly good spaghetti feed and all the ice cream you could ask for.

Great fun!

Today I went for a nice 15 mile ride with my wife. we checked out the Fremont street fair then rode hopme and did a small dose of Magnolia''s hills (my local neghborhood and a favorite Seattle hill riding location).

Great weekend to be a cyclist. (Or am I a bike rider?)

CaptStash....

LilBolt
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I also did Tour de Blast, and got to meet Yeastor at the top. The gusty conditions really beat me up...the Reynolds DV46 may not have been the best choice of the day. Also, like Capt Stash, I had a brain fade and forgot something...my sunglasses. That was a big regret with the ash & other flora & fauna ending up in my eyes. There were a lot of Serottas on the ride, but when asked, most of them were not Forumites. I'm pretty sure I saw Gasman at Elk Rock, but I was too shy to say "aren't you???" CinciJim joined us, and seemed to have a great time, despite his training back home consisting of a ride with roughly 1500 ft of climb. Anyhow, these folks put on a great ride, and have done a fantastic job controlling what they can (food, water, road support, etc). There were a couple of accidents...sounds like one guy took a nasty spill News Story (http://www.tdn.com/articles/2008/06/22/area_news/10296491.txt) Sending him best wishes to make a speedy recovery.

northbend
06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Saturday, while others in my usual cycling group (like LilBolt!) were riding the Tour DeBlast (an 84 mile bike ride up to Mt St Helens), I chose a different route. Here is what I wrote up about that ride and sent to the group:

The Native Planet Classic is an out an back ride starting in Winthrop over the North Cascades highway to Ross Lake. It is hosted by the Native Planet Outdoor Club based in Seattle, lead by very nice and friendly French guy: Jean-Philippe Soule.

http://www.ride4areason.org/npclassic/npclassic_map.shtml

This year, one of my cycling goals was to be a better climber and I really wanted to do RAMROD (Ride Around Mt Rainier in One Day) this summer to measure my progress but my name didn't get picked in the lottery for it and with my name in the high 200's on the waiting list the likelyhood of getting a slot is slim. I signed up for the Native Planet Classic when I learned it's elevation gains, distance and scenery were close to RAMROD.
This was a ride I did by myself, no partners. Friday after work, I rushed home, ate some dinner then went to bed to get some sleep before setting off at midnight for the drive to Winthrop. Woke up at 9PM and couldn't get back to sleep. Even watching ESPN on TV didn't do the trick (usually does). Finally gave up and ate one last meal of pasta at 11:30 then drove on to Winthrop... You know they say you should hydrate before a big ride. Doesn't work so well when you have a long car ride ahead of you. I know now what is like to be Julie (one of my cycling buddies in the group I usually ride with who pees more often than a dog): I musta stopped every 40 miles to pee...
I arrived in Winthrop about an hour before the course opened, got the bike and myself ready picked up my ride packet (which wasn't much - no que sheet or map!), then set off at 5:40AM. The Methow valley is beautiful. This time of year, the fields are lush and green, filled with happy cows and contented horses as you pass ranches along hwy 20. At 6AM, there were hardly any cars and very few riders, you hear the birds singing their morning songs, the hollow sound of your tires rolling on the pavement. If this ride had a total of 150 riders I would be suprised. There was a sight uphill grade riding up the valley and I was soon overtaking riders who had started before me, onesey-twoseys for the most part. I wasn't trying to ride fast at all, just riding comfortably but once you see someone up the road, they become a bead I fixate on until they are past me..maybe that's why I was soon alone (my computer wasn't working so I have no way of knowing what my pace actually was).
The valley starts to narrow and the climb gets steeper the higher up you go. For me, the highlight was the final climb to Washington Pass where the road switchbacks just below the twin spires of Early Winters mountain. It was here where I was passed by the only riders on the way to Ross Lake. The snow is nearly gone from the sides of the road but not from the mountainsides. The sound of water cascading is everywhere...gee, maybe thats why this mountain range is called that, huh? The first climb of the day is over at the top of Washington Pass (30 miles of climbing) and I meet up with the riders who had passed me at the rest stop which was just being put together. The food at the rest stops was great. The right stuff for riders: fruit, granola, energy bars and gels you could stuff in your jersey for later and plenty of water. They also had these tablets you could drop in your waterbottle to make your own energy drink - kinda like zipp-fizz but better tasting. In fact alot better tasting than the Accelerade I was using for the first time. That stuff has a pasty aftertaste like drywall mud. After the rest stop I rode off with the riders who had assembled to that point at the rest stop. A screaming downhill ride for almost the entire 34 miles to the turnaround point at Ross Lake. I only recall the scenery along this section because I had to ride back up the same route on the return. Pretty intense action. There were no cars and we were taking the entire lane. It is the first time I ever wished I had an 11 tooth sprocket to go to on my cassette - we were flying! Arms and legs get sore from being in a tuck over the handlebars so the few climbs we did have were a welcome relief to me. We were the first group of riders at the turnaround point and it was there that I started to notice that all these guys were wearing team kits and sporting shaved legs. More riders showed up and more of the same: shaved legs and team kits then there's me: the 50 year old hairy legged guy with the blinky on his camelback. One other exception was one tall dude on a single speed - what the heck (I learned later on he is well known for having won the couger mountain time trial up zoo hill). I decided to take it much easier on the way back! I ate some food, took on water and waited for the racers to take off. The ride back is much tougher on the way back to Washington Pass. I was paying the price for the fast pace earlier and the lack of sleep but it was managable. I rode within myself and was careful to drink and eat often. I was all alone and it was quiet - backpacking in the wilderness solitude quiet. My right foot started to get a hot spot and I briefly thought of stopping and putting it in a snowbank along side the road. Then I'd feel mysteriously better and I'd pick up the pace again and keep climbing. You notice more things when climbing probably because you are going slower but maybe you also do it to keep your mind off the suffering. What I noticed was the roadkill. Nearly every ride you see it and it's usually your garden variety racoons, squirrels, rabbits, possums and snakes. This ride was different: All the road kill I saw were deer! Lots of them. Tossed off the side of the road. Ugh! At one of my low points when I was suffering, one of the ride organizers drove by in the opposite direction. He hung his head out and yelled in a thick french accent: 'You are doing fantasteek! keep eet up!' The climbing finally ended just before mile 97 at the top of Washington Pass. This time the rest stop was stocked with sandwich wraps, augraten potatos, cookies along with the other usual fare. It was a perfect meal to get you ready for the final 31 miles to Winthrop. It was the only rest stop I really sat down and took my time. A sandwich never tasted so good. The final miles reminded me of the finish at the Crater Lake Century that a friend of mine (Don) and I rode last year - all downhill to the finish! The only difficult part was the last 10 miles on nearly flat roads because there was a headwind. I was tired and a few riders started to pass me but I didn't really care. I knew the ride was ending soon and I just rode within myself and took time to look around and take it all in. The smell of sagebrush and lodgepole pine, the quiet...I was wondering how my friends were doing down at the Tour DeBlast and I missed their company when I finished at 2:30 in the afternoon. I was jazzed enough after the ride that I decided to drive home after taking a 30 minute nap. Nothing sounded better than sleeping in my own bed. What a day: 450 miles of driving, 126 miles of riding, 10,400 ft of climbing. I felt pretty good about my performance especially considering I was running on about 3 hrs of sleep but I don't think I'll pull off another day like that again.

I'd do the ride again if some friends wanted to go and we make a weekend outa it. The full super-century is challenging for those who want to test themselves. I think the best ride would be the metric century option which has the turn around point at Washington Pass. The whole route up is beautful and the ride back down is boatloads of fun. Maybe next years ride will have more folks. It deserves more attention than it gets.

William
06-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I never did that ride, but I've ridden up around St. Helens on my own. Wonderful place. I remember visting the base and camping in the area when I was a kid before it blew.

Got up early and did a good 45- 50 miles. Then The family drove out to a cottage on the water and spent the day. Rode the Effin Cross bike over to get my Growler filled. I could say the Buzzard filled my Growler. Some of you Nor'easters might be able to figure it where we were. I saw a group of 25+ riders but I was on my way back to the cottage so I didn't follow them...besides my Growler was full and cold and needed opening. ;)

William

barry1021
06-23-2008, 01:38 PM
was at Smolak farm in North Andover on Saturday. Wasn't sure but i though I saw Bruce K trying to climb aboard, but they wouldn't take the Meivici.... :)

johnnymossville
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I did the Dan Spencer Memorial Pennsylvania Masters Road Race Championships. 42 miles of racing where there were finally some hills! My terrible sprinting ability dropped me from 4th to 7th overall in the final 20 meters, but it was fun anyway.

Sunday race, Criterium. I got a double flat, ended my race after only 10 laps. The great weather and crazy cool jungle gym in the town park for my kids made my day though.

Overall, good weekend for riding.

Cdub
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Went to the Tour de Louisiana for 3 stages of fun. 3 mile TT to Start, 64 miles of rolling RR and Sunday crit on possibly the worst surface they could find.

The TT was as straight as can be. I really suck at this discipline, but managed to be 25 seconds faster this year. I need to find 30 more seconds to be competitive.

The RR started at 1:20 in the afternoon. Normally the temps are about 90-95, but not today. We were half a mile into it and the skies opened on us. I was told it rained 2.5 inches on us in the first three laps. It kept it nice and cool. Amazingly enough no one crashed until the fourth lap when it was dry. i managed to move up several spots on GC by finishing in the front group. Still not great though.

The crit was 50 minutes. Now normally I am JAZZED for a crit, but not this time. Not a foot with out gravel, pot holes or some kind of broken pavement. One of my team mates went off the front so I moved up to help control pace and get him a better gap, but it did not last to long. With folks getting sketchy and nearly 50 seconds to make up on GC, I decided to race safe. I moved up 10 more spots to finish 17 overall.

To give you an idea of the crit course. When I unzipped my jersey back at the car, rocks fell out.

Lots of fun, very well run race. I will go back. Abita Springs Brewery is fantastic.

sloji
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Did 53 miles on Sat on PCH with my bro but i've been training and he hasn't so the little brother got a chance, a once in a lifetime chance, of besting the elder sibling! I know what will happen now though and in about a month he's gonna call and say "hey, how about I come up for a ride?" ...and we know what that means! In all truth we had a great ride and it was fun to see what SoCal is like.

Sunday I rode with Southern California Recumbent Rally for about 40-50 miles. A casual slow ride along the beach with a few bursts thrown in for fun. A few recumbent racers showed up and I kept taunting them about finding hills..."can those bikes climb hills?" It's a constant inside joke with recumbent racers about hill climbing ability, course like any bike you can beat some and not others. One of the designers of Bacchetta bikes gave a short speech and to the few racers in the crowd he said "no questions from the hecklers" and sure enough a guy in the crowd asked first off "can you climb hills on those bikes?" ...perfect! The great thing about that question is it's usually a casual rider with no interest in speed that asks it...

Oh, hot weather, very hot...

Sasha18
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
No ridin' for me this weekend. Instead, I went up to Vancouver BC to lend moral support to my partner in the half marathon. She really wanted to run it, two training friends bailed out on her and I figured it would be fun. 21 Kilometers is a long way. I've been doing some training, but running just plain hurts. Running along side her, I finished 180 out of 184 in my age group - 30-34. I could've run a lot faster, but that wasn't what I was there for. The event was really well organized. Maybe I'll go ride the tour de blast next year. It was also the WA state crit championships, which I also missed.

regularguy412
06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Got up Saturday morning and did the local bike club's metric century (well, 59 miler). I hung in with the young bucks all through the first 25 miles that included many short, but steep climbs. After all the climbing we headed out onto the flats that was a big loop out to another small town. Lots of crosswind/ headwind on that part. The group had whittled down to about seven of us by that point. There were really only three of us, myself and two young fellows, who were still taking pulls into the wind. I took the last mile and a half pull into the wind. As we turned West out of it to cross a major intersection, a gust blew some kind of really painful trash under my sunglasses and into my right eye. I rolled along slowly trying to get the stuff out. After about two minutes of pain and a watery eye, I could finally focus. As I looked up the road, the group had disintegrated into pairs, with the two who were pulling with me going off the front. I figured that 2 hours, 20 minutes of effort was enough for that ride and just cruised in at 18 mph to the finish. Even with the slow finish and the five minute break at 30 miles to check in and get some more fluids, I still finished in 3 hours, 1 minute.

Later that same day, I went out with my riding buddy and got in another 25 miles - so , about 80 miles for the day.

Got up early on Sunday and got in a solid two hours at tempo, just to try and clean out the legs. Not sure I got that part accomplished, since they're still a little tight today. At least there was no rain, and the heat and humidity were both reasonable, for this time of year.

Planning on doing a road race this coming Saturday that's part of the Smith & Nephew Grand Prix in Memphis, TN. Just have to see how I'm feeling.

Mike in AR:beer:

BURCH
06-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Did a solo 30 mile ride on Saturday. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

On Sunday, I did something odd. I rode with the local club. I am a club member, but I just prefer to ride solo in the end. I guess that I just wanted to ride with others. Anyhow, It turned out to be a fun barn burner. We started with about 20-30 riders and I quickly got sucked into the lead pack and killed myself to stay with them. I luckily hung on and made it in with the lead group (4 total). One of the guys was amazing. He had the best acceleration that I have seen in a long time. He could jump from 15 to 25 in a snap. It was cool to witness. I was glad to hang with them. That ride and my miles to and from the ride totaled about 35 miles.

TAW
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Did a 65 mile group ride from the LBS. This is a pretty good ride with a fairly fast pace. Mostly team riders and the group splits up when the pace is lifted. It was warm here in KC, and I ended up with a "tan line" on my forehead from my helmet vents. My wife thought I was bruised! :D