PDA

View Full Version : cell phones and cycling

Oirad
06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I guess you're not supposed to use your cell phone while you ride, even in Italy: http://www.repubblica.it/2008/06/motori/motori-giugno-3-2008/multa-bici/multa-bici.html

Oirad

flickwet
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
cell phone-off, in jersey pocket, emergencies only, well maybe a pic

onekgguy
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't seem to have a problem out on the road with my phone. I'm gone for hours at a time and I need to be available for my wife and daughter to contact me should they need to. It's not that difficult to do provided you're riding solo. In a group of course you need to drop back.

Kevin g

frenk
06-23-2008, 03:43 AM
It's right, you should not be on the phone while riding.
Except in Italy (and here in South Switzerland as well) when I look at the road one car driver over two is talking at their phone. So police should focus on the most dangerous thing...

Fixed
06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
gold sell phones at w.w.w. you chump.com
cheers imho

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
. . . but I always turn it off. It's nice to have it there for an emergency, but I go for a ride to get away from annoyances like that, not take them with me. Also in a group ride, not fun to sit up to wait for riders who seem to constantly be answering calls. If I did have to keep it on, as in some family emergency, I'd set custom rings so I can tell if it's a call from the person I need to hear from.

BBD

Volant
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
This is a timely post. My wife always requests that I carry my phone. It's on, but in my jersey pocket on the road. I did the same last weekend on my mtb. I biffed and landed on my phone. The phone still functions, but the LCD broke (doesn't work at all). Verizon is supposed to bring out a new G'z one that isn't so large; so I might move to that in a couple months.
Any of you out there that aggressively mtb with your phone? How do you protect it?

BTW, this isn't the first time; I've killed a World Phone, a Curve and an LG 8700. I decided that I really just need a phone and not all the other add-ons. This last phone lasted the longest (4 months) and it's just a cheapo LG.

BumbleBeeDave
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
. . . that is a hardshell case that fits in your bottle cage. Don't remember who makes it, though. I've also seen a semi-hardshell of the same ilk from Trek.

BBD

93legendti
06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
. . . that is a hardshell case that fits in your bottle cage. Don't remember who makes it, though. I've also seen a semi-hardshell of the same ilk from Trek.

BBD
www.cagerocket.com

gdw
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't carry a cellphone while mountain biking but always have a digital camera with me. It fits nicely in the large pocket of a Camalbak Mule or in the inner pockets of a Hawg. I have it sitting on top of my arm and leg warmers so it has some padding below. The water bladder in front of the pocket seems to offer some cushioning on the rare occasions when I crash and roll on it.

WadePatton
06-25-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't carry a cellphone while mountain biking but always have a digital camera with me. It fits nicely in the large pocket of a Camalbak Mule or in the inner pockets of a Hawg. I have it sitting on top of my arm and leg warmers so it has some padding below. The water bladder in front of the pocket seems to offer some cushioning on the rare occasions when I crash and roll on it.
I crashed and rolled on an old VHS tape video camera, once.

Cell goes in jerky bag (to keep it dry, I eat the jerky first)--perfect size with zip, and in the center jersey pocket. In a group, I don't always take it.

Volant
06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

BBD

That's what the Curve was in when it broke. I thought I had enough padding in there to protect the phone. But, on fast, rocky decents, it just got the heck beat out of it.
I was doing good with this last one wrapped inside the top pocket on my Camelbak. But, this last ride, I went without the Camelback. The 8700 broke while in the Camelbak. I think I just need a shock-proof phone.

Oirad
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Dear gdw,

I wished I'd had your digital camera to take the pic of the copperhead I ran over last Sunday on a steep downhill in the woods.

Thankfully, I didn't hurt him/her too bad because it slithered away calmly.

Best wishes,

Oirad

gdw
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I try to avoid snakes but it can be difficult.

Oirad
06-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Dear gdw,

Excellent! (Good composition, btw.) That photo alone is the reason why I should carry a digital camera when I ride.

Most of us wax poetically about cycling and nature. The reality is that we are alienated from nature. Humans are unnatural beings in so many ways. Seeing such critters reminds us of why and how we are so different and how we have to respect each others' space.

Thanks!

Oirad