PDA

View Full Version : When is enough, Enough

dsimon
06-22-2008, 09:48 AM
So i was going on short 20 mile ride just to beat the rain, because i have been out in the field doing training for the last 3 weeks and now its time to catch up and what do i find this morning a front flat tire :crap: so so say hmmm maybe a slow leak well it wasn't and the second one wasn't either so then i use a new tube well that went flat too so im thinking pinch flat thats possible as i have Protons and conti4000 so you know you have to be on roids to get them on and off but three in a row? well so whats next take off the tire and check it out all clear so back to the original ? how many times does one patch a tire before enough is enough im running up to 3 now on one tire i think thats enough one seems like a waste 3 or more seems well crazy. just thought i would rant and rave since im here patching tire and throwing some away :argue: instead of outside ridding. thanks

regularguy412
06-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I hear yer pain. Went thru the same kinda thing many years ago when I first started riding. I was using urethane tubes to help avoid flats. (Imagine THAT!) After riding on them for about 3 months, I started having flats but could find no real leak when I'd take the tubes out and pump them up. I finally pumped one up and ran it under some water in my bath lav. There were several very oozy leaks. Letting out maybe one small bubble every 10 seconds or so. The key was that the leaks were on the side of the tube next to the rim / rim strip. Seems the urethane tubes were kinda stiff after they got old and had gone through a bunch of heat cycles. The velox was stretching down 'just' enough into the spoke hole such that it allowed the tube to stretch slightly along with it. When it stretched it became thinner and was easily abraded by the rough surface of the velox. After that experience, I began using better tires and cheaper tubes,, instead of the other way around. Those urethane tubes were about $9.00 apiece, even back in the late 1980's.

My real solution to unexpected flats before a ride became ---- extra wheelsets. ;)

Mike in AR:beer:

bronk
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I stopped patching tubes years ago. Don't flat more than once/year and not worth the worry. The patch kit would dry out before I'd use 1/2 of it.

alancw3
06-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I stopped patching tubes years ago. Don't flat more than once/year and not worth the worry. The patch kit would dry out before I'd use 1/2 of it.

i agree. tubes are probably the cheapest think in biking. always a brand new tube. for what is worth i have tried many different brands of tubes and now use performance tubes. when on sale they are like $3. i then buy 6 and put away until i need them. for $3 why patch?