PDA

View Full Version : What? You Can't Waive?...

OtayBW
06-21-2008, 04:57 PM
...or nod, or blink?

I'm always amazed when a fellow cyclist don't bother to waive, or nod, or even look up when you pass (going the other way) on the road. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough and it always surprises me....

I'm just sayin...

Louis
06-21-2008, 05:02 PM
It's well known that cyclists don't wave to bicycle riders.

Len J
06-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Cyclists are terrible spellers too...... :banana:

Len

OtayBW
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Cyclists are terrible spellers too...... :banana:

Len
You're Evil. :cool:

jmeloy
06-21-2008, 05:32 PM
a wave, a nod, a SOMETHING, is much appreciated. KC is pretty bad in this regard from my experience.

Onno
06-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I waive the wave on rides when I encounter lots of cyclists. I wave the wave on rides when you don't see many.

cadence231
06-21-2008, 05:53 PM
When I wave and don't get one in return I figure they say "hi" but I don't hear them because of earphones. Sometimes I see a small wave or finger waving just off the bars. I have come to the conclusion that people are acknowledging me but I just don't see it.

1centaur
06-21-2008, 06:26 PM
As I regularly say on waving threads (which are on almost all cycling forums, which should suggest that this is a common issue):

I almost always give a small wave and DON'T LOOK to see if they do. That way I can assume they did, and I know I did, so the world is a perfect place.

93legendti
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I waive, 'cuz i like to waive. I don't expect a wave back, although it is always nice to get a return wave.

Fixed
06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
for some cats it's all about me i am beautiful and great and you are not ..
I wave and say hi bro
some times i get a wave sometimes a nod sometime nothing ...even from the new fix crowd even though i am part of fixed history around my parts
cheers

mike p
06-21-2008, 08:33 PM
As I regularly say on waving threads (which are on almost all cycling forums, which should suggest that this is a common issue):

I almost always give a small wave and DON'T LOOK to see if they do. That way I can assume they did, and I know I did, so the world is a perfect place.

I like that, a positive attitude! I'm adopting it as my own,thank you.

Mike

Ginger
06-21-2008, 08:57 PM

Ditto.

Lincoln
06-21-2008, 09:11 PM
for some cats it's all about me i am beautiful and great and you are not ..
I wave and say hi bro
some times i get a wave sometimes a nod sometime nothing ...even from the new fix crowd even though i am part of fixed history around my parts
cheers

When I lived in a smaller town (with quite a few cyclists) the (small hand) wave was pretty common practice. Now that I'm in Boulder I realize you could get tendinitis trying to wave to everyone! I still try to give a cursory wave but don't stress if I miss a few.

As Fixed and Louis noted your appearance will determine what response you get. I have noticed that if I'm wearing a generic looking jersey, the cool kids don't nod or wave but if I'm wearing some old team kit from back in the day they are much more likely to acknowledge my presence.

OtayBW
06-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, I guess I'll keep doing what I do: wa(i)ve, appreciate those who do too, and wonder about the others....

Charles M
06-21-2008, 09:21 PM
My favorite part is it's usually the "club team" level mid-Cat guys that can't be bothered to wave...

There are couple of team groups around Phoenix / Scottsdale that just can't be bothered with "simple" riders...

Last week I waved to a group and got nada, then caught on with them later as paths crossed and know a few of em and one of em said "we saw you before but didn't know it was you, you're always changing things". All I could manage was "why do you guys need someone to qualify for a wave anyway?"

If anyone should wave its the folks who "sponsored"... It's not like someone pays for the jersey spot so they can impress the 12 people that show for a local race...

But then in the winter we'll get a few higher calibur pro's that always seem to manage to get a hand off the bars... In fact I've had a couple of house guests who make a paycheck on a bike remind me to wave when we're out riding...

I'll admit sometimes I forget and say "hi" that nobody will hear, but 90% of the time I get a hand off... When the local "to good for you's" can't manage it the same 90% of the time it just reminds me why I don't much care for a lot of the guys that climb on a bike because they have something to prove...

rwsaunders
06-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I always wave and say hello, good morning, nice day, etc., whether it be a cyclist, walker or runner. If the other person chooses not to return the salutation, so be it. I know that I didn't pee in their granola.

weiwentg
06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
this has been discussed before, many times.

however, this is the first time that I've seen the word 'waive' used on this forum.

I'll always spare at least a grim nod or a wave from the bars. if they're lucky, I might grunt. I call it the athlete's greeting.

Ginger
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I always wave and say hello, good morning, nice day, etc., whether it be a cyclist, walker or runner. If the other person chooses not to return the salutation, so be it. I know that I didn't pee in their granola.

Oh heck,

I'll slow down and chat with runners...
Hi there, Great day! How far ya going? Wow...I could never run, it's too hard...
I suppose it's evil making them talk

paczki
06-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I always wave, except when it's large groups of riders.

Went on a ride the day before yesterday and only two riders did not wave back. Both were on red Serottas. No kidding.

Louis
06-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Recently I've taken to waving to motorcyclists (the motorbike wave - left hand out, to the side, kind of low) and I would say that about 75% of them respond in kind.

RIHans
06-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Dave says it well. Tri-guys, and gals, need to learn a bit of the code-of-the-road. Smile, it costs nothing. Not only tri-folk, all bike riders should be friendly-like to other riders.

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/search?q=the+wave

Hans

rwsaunders
06-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Oh heck,

I'll slow down and chat with runners...
Hi there, Great day! How far ya going? Wow...I could never run, it's too hard...
I suppose it's evil making them talk

Classic greeting we had once from a pack of runners..."watch out fellas, here come the rich guys on the bikes."

jamesau
06-22-2008, 06:10 AM
You can tell the kids are home from school.

Yesterday, I'm spinning up a long grade. 2 are pacing behind me, pass slowly within a few inches of my left side, and offer no acknowledgement to my greeting. Too bad some, of this (smack-down, no-respect-unless-earned)generation, think being cordial is a sign of weakness.

Then there's the other guy who I've seen frequently in seasons past but for the first time this season only yesterday. I think he's just antisocial - and is probably packing 30 extra pounds since I've seen him last.

Happily, most others including motorists and pedestrians are cordial along the country roads I ride.

Tom
06-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Some guy coming down Desolation as I was going up. I got the "Heeyyyyyyy..." trailing off as he zipped by. I had to laugh. Of course, I did the "I'm not killing myself here, nope, not me" smile and wave as he came around the corner even though I was just this side of blowing a gasket.

neverraced
06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
A grown man on a bicycle didn't wave to me.

The frequency of this pathetic subject on every bicycling forum known to man saddens me.

jamesau
06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
;)

M.Sommers
06-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Ask swoop to be certain, but I think a nod is the new waive. I nod, unless it's a very bonita chica, then I say waive and say hello and try to start a conversation.

corky
06-22-2008, 12:08 PM
But do Roadies wave to Mountain Bikers? ........ there is a common belief in the UK that Roadies never acknowledge anyone on an MTB, personally I think it's bollocks :)

EDS
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
When I lived in a smaller town (with quite a few cyclists) the (small hand) wave was pretty common practice. Now that I'm in Boulder I realize you could get tendinitis trying to wave to everyone! I still try to give a cursory wave but don't stress if I miss a few.

As Fixed and Louis noted your appearance will determine what response you get. I have noticed that if I'm wearing a generic looking jersey, the cool kids don't nod or wave but if I'm wearing some old team kit from back in the day they are much more likely to acknowledge my presence.

I have to agree. I saw at least 100 cyclists on my ride yesterday, do I need to "wave" to each? I try to at least give a nod, but if I am doing intervals or something then that may not happen.

One etiquette question, should I say "how is it going" when passing someone or is "on your left" the appropriate thing to say and wait to see if the person you are passing says something?

1centaur
06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I give a little wave when I pass somebody, so they don't have to talk (they could be gasping for breath) and I don't have to converse if our speed difference suggests I'll be moving on by them and generating a gap quickly. Seems odd to chat and then speed away. I've pretty much given up on "on your left" as it tends to make many look and steer left and otherwise sounds about the same as "coming through" which can come off egotistical. A little wave to acknowledge our fellow cyclist-ness seem good.

BTW, I was thinking about this thread on my ride today and remembered one of the funnier acknowledgments I ever got: 11-year old boy coming the other way say loudly, clearly and in his best future Star Wars conventioneer voice, "Hail, fellow bicyclist!"

OtayBW
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I have to agree. I saw at least 100 cyclists on my ride yesterday, do I need to "wave" to each? I try to at least give a nod, but if I am doing intervals or something then that may not happen.

One etiquette question, should I say "how is it going" when passing someone or is "on your left" the appropriate thing to say and wait to see if the person you are passing says something?
First of all, the only thing that you 'need' to do is what makes you feel comfortable. Second, I'm referring only to passing in opposite directions where there is no chance to talk. Like I said, for me, a slight wave or head nod or some minor gesture is almost possible and no hassle.

Louis
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I've pretty much given up on "on your left" as it tends to make many look and steer left

I had this happen to me just this past week. I rarely ride on "bike trails" but decided to explore a new one that was just put in close to one of my usual road routes. As I'm cruising along on a slight downhill I notice up ahead a couple and a little kid, all on bikes. I yell out "On your left!" and the two adults move to the left of the trail! Then they start to tell the kid "pull over, pull over" which of course he ignores. I sort of slalomed through them, while trying to be as friendly as possible, saying hello to the parents and something appropriately cheerful to the kid. Since they were acting frantically I was concerned that they might come to dislike "faster" riders (relatively speaking), but on the return leg I met them coming in the opposite direction and they had big smiles and a bright "Hello" so I guess it all worked out OK.

Bottom line - it's not obvious what to yell as you overtake folks who don't speak the lingo. Maybe I should install that big green dinosaur squeeze-squeak horn my sister gave me as a joke.

ggross
06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
The no wave thing happened to me yesterday too. I was riding my Rivendellized Waterford in street clothes when the "racer dude" rode the other way. No wave, no nothing.

Typically, when I ride my Sachs in racer wear, I get the wave. I suspect that it's an "I'm faster (therefore, better) than you so I don't need to acknowledge you" thing.

I've gotten to the point that any ride is better that no ride and as long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter what you ride or look like.

Lincoln
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Classic greeting we had once from a pack of runners..."watch out fellas, here come the rich guys on the bikes."

Funny Ginger. I used to be a runner. It was impossible to get a rider to acknowledge you and it was totally the "too cool" mentality. I remember muttering to myself on more than one occasion about the "talentless hack on a bike acting so superior." I make a point to acknowledge whoever is out there whenever it is reasonably possible. Same goes for hikers when I'm on my MTB. I figure we are all allies out there and more goodwill is a good thing.

When passing going the same way, I give a couple extra feet of room to allow for a little "surprise swerve" on their part. I don't warn them, it is more likely to help than hurt. I always give a quick "have a good one" or "how's it goin'?" as I go by.

gdw
06-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm amused at the attitude that you encounter among a sizable portion of the bicyclists in Boulder especially among the seasonal riders with the latest and greatest gear. They're too cool to nod, wave, or smile yet the world class runners like Allen Culpepper, the Torres brothers, etc who I regularly encounter while riding or running the local paths and trails always acknowlege you.

Lincoln
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm amused at the attitude that you encounter among a sizable portion of the bicyclists in Boulder especially among the seasonal riders with the latest and greatest gear. They're too cool to nod, wave, or smile yet the world class runners like Allen Culpepper, the Torres brothers, etc who I regularly encounter while riding or running the local paths and trails always acknowlege you.

Exactly. And it's pretty universal, my experiences (from the running side) were well before I lived in Boulder. I was no Culpepper as a runner but I did run D1 track so I was probably better at it than the "too cool" cyclists. After a period of being annoyed I just decided to be amused. Like others have mentioned in this thread, now I just do my thing, appreciate it when others reciprocate and shrug it off when they don't.

flickwet
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
all others must be taught, a wink is as good as a nod to a blind man, a friendly acknowledgment is all that is sought, we are but a merry band of brothers (bros or persons) with apologies to the under represented gender on this forum.

CaptStash
06-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I can't say as I am offended if I don't get a wave in return, but I usually give a wave or nod to other cyclists. Sometimes, though if I am working hard I just have my head down and try to concentrate on what I am doing. I am sure I have missed waves to me so who am I to be offended by someone not waving back?

When I am buzzing along and passing people I always try to be nice, often telling them if I like their bike, or just saying something innane about the weather. Maybe it's because I am an asthmatic, but I have giant lungs (not to be confused with giant VO2 uptake unfortunately) and can talk at a fairly normal tone even when I'm working hard. It used to drive my wife crazy when we'd row a double. Anyway, I just like being nice when I am passing someone, or being passed for that matter.

As a defensive measure, I have taken to waving and making eye contact with drivers who are in a position to smack into me if they haven't seen me. If I don't get acknowledgment, I slow down or even stop. I started doing that after t-boning a car that turned into my path.

CaptStash....

mgm777
06-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I feel obligated to raise the BS flag on this thread. I live in the Boulder area and ride almost every day, all year. I too am a former runner. When I ride I am not hurt nor offended if another "cyclist" or "rider" fails to wave, salute, nod, or otherwise acknowledge my existance. I certainly don't take offense nor do I make rash generalizations, or speculate about why the other didn't wave. I also don't pass judgement about people on bikes based on my opinions about how much or how little they spent on their gear. That is ridiculous, IMHO. I am just glad to see ANYONE on a bike. It is good for all to be on bikes. I do make it a point to ask EVERYONE who is dealing with a mechanical if they need any assistance. Similarly, when I run, as when I ride, I am enjoying the moment. Please don't take offense if I don't wave, salute, say hello, or otherwise acknowledge your presence. Also, take comfort in knowing that I am not judging you based on how much or how little you spent on your bike and gear. I am glad to see you on a bike and hope that you inspire others to do the same. When I am running, I am working too hard to think about you at all. I don't get my own sense of worth from having people on bikes wave to me. Finally, also know that when I fail to acknowledge you, I am not being an elitist. That would imply that I am actually processing my thoughts, based on seeing you, and then deciding that I am better than you because, in my estimation, you didn't spend enough on your gear. The fact of the matter is that I am simply enjoying a bike ride. I may wave and I may not. Please don't read anything else into it. Enjoy your ride.

Blue Jays
06-23-2008, 01:21 AM
"...Recently I've taken to waving to motorcyclists (the motorbike wave - left hand out, to the side, kind of low) and would say that about 75% of them respond in kind..."That's the same technique I employ on my bicycles and motorcycles.
I also wave to both cyclists and motorcyclists regardless of which one I happen to be astride at the time. :beer:

gdw
06-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Easy guy. I really don't care whether people wave, nod, smile, etc. That said, I stand by my original post. Some members of the cycling community seem to have an attitude problem. Read the local paper, The Daily Camera, if you don't believe me. Our neighbors to the north certainly seem to feel that Boulder riders are annoying. :banana:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/may/22/larimer-sheriff-singles-out-boulder-cyclists/

http://m.dailycamera.com/news/2008/may/29/sheriff-says-residents-back-stance-on-cyclists/

thinpin
06-23-2008, 02:37 AM
There was a time when fellow cyclists would greet each other but not nowdays..mainly the older crew bother, those that have been cycling for years.
yesterday I went on a 70 km spin outside the city, Passed 3 other cyclists. The 2 young bucks ignored my greeting and the old fellow on a flatbar roadbike greeted me back.
Dont really care just an observation

rumrum888
06-23-2008, 05:33 AM
I just recently started riding around SE Michigan, and the difference between here and Southern California is significant. Here everybody greets everyone. I even got the peace sign from almost an entire convoy of bikers yesterday as they passed me. Southern California like others are saying, it seemed to matter more how you looked.

OtayBW
06-23-2008, 07:46 AM
In the spirit of balance, I should also say that when I lived out in the boonies in West Tennessee, EVERYBODY would wa(i)ve as you passed them in a car/truck on the road. Of course, this was the 'rolling, one-finger-lift-off-of-the-steering-wheel'. Probably a >90% wa(i)ve rate. Most every other place I've lived since, the return wa(i)ve rate was very low, and there was usually a different finger involved.....

coopdog
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Forget the wave. How about proper stranded cyclist etiquette?

Last week I flatted with about 3 miles to go to my destination and a long walk from anything. My first thought was, "God I hope I remembered to replace my tube in my bag" as I grabbed for the bag. Sure enough it was there. Whew! I proceed to remove my rear wheel. It is obvious I've had a mechanical. I look up to see a fella cyclist come coasting along. The second I saw the Discovery Team jersey I knew how this would end. Sure enough. He zips right on by. Not a word. About 30 seconds later, a Junior in team kit coasts by and gives the universal 'need assistance?' look. I give him a thumbs up 'I'm o.k.' and he motors on.

There is no reason not to simply slow down and see if a fellow cyclist needs assistance when they're obviously having a problem.

EDS
06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
First of all, the only thing that you 'need' to do is what makes you feel comfortable. Second, I'm referring only to passing in opposite directions where there is no chance to talk. Like I said, for me, a slight wave or head nod or some minor gesture is almost possible and no hassle.

Many happy miles to you too.

markie
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
all others must be taught, a wink is as good as a nod to a blind man, a friendly acknowledgment is all that is sought, we are but a merry band of brothers (bros or persons) with apologies to the under represented gender on this forum.

I am pretty sure a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat.

too much python for me.

BURCH
06-23-2008, 08:33 AM
I somtimes get into a zone and don't even think about waving. Other times, when I don't wave it could be out of self preservation. I sometimes see some road debris or deteriorating asphalt that I need to concentrate on. Any other times, I will give a wave or nod.

My goals on a ride:

#1 Make it home in one piece
#2 Get a good workout and enjoy the ride
#3 Misc including waving to other cyclists

PaulE
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
but it bears repeating. Boy I sure miss Chunk 666. This is from the second iteration of the Serotta forum (the one before this one), and as long as it's out there I'll keep it bookmarked.

I waived today (http://www.fly.com/serotta/read.php?1,7666)

rwsaunders
06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
but it bears repeating. Boy I sure miss Chunk 666. This is from the second iteration of the Serotta forum (the one before this one), and as long as it's out there I'll keep it bookmarked.

+1.

Fixed
06-23-2008, 06:10 PM
I am shy
cheers :beer:

OtayBW
06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I am shy
cheers :beer:
Oh, I doubt that.... :D

Seramount
06-23-2008, 08:21 PM
I wave sometimes. Sometimes not...

Just depends on my mood, road conditions, type of ride I'm doing, and/or whether I think you might be a dooshnozzle.

I waved at a guy on a 'bent the other day...it made me feel kinda dirty.

paczki
06-23-2008, 08:25 PM

That is funny as hell :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
If the guy didn't wave back, he may just not have seen me. Or he may have just not reacted quickly enough and he did wave, but after I had passed.

But this custom of all of us greeting each other when we pass also may just be a social custom whose time has passed. When I lived in Tulsa back in the 80's I would rarely, if ever, see another "serious" cyclist. When we did see each other we'd always wave because we were rare and special. There simply weren't that many of us around, and chances are if you did run into another geek in spandex or wool on a fancy European bike in the middle o' nowhere, it was someone else who was into it seriously and knew what they were doing, not a newbie. We were members of the same exclusive fraternity.

Today cycling has gotten much more popular and it's going to keep getting more popular--both as recreation and transportation--as gas prices continue to rise. And when all these people go into the LBS to buy a bike, they don't get some new owners orientation course that teaches them the etiquette. Also with so many more bikes on the road, it's just not nearly as unusual anymore to see someone else on a bike, even a kitted out expensive setup. A lot of these people who don't wave back may very well not be trying to be snooty. They're just ignorant--they just don't know that it's special or that we are special people.

Think about the Netherlands or China, where there are literally millions of bikes passing each other every day. Do you think all those people wave to each other every time they pass another bike? I bet not, or else the roads would be a sea of flailing arms and collisions because nobody has their hands on the handlebars--they're all waving all the time. There's just too many of them.

BBD

Bud_E
06-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I waved at a guy on a 'bent the other day...it made me feel kinda dirty.

Ugh. I'll pray for ya.

steve v
06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
My observation is that the guys with mediocre aluminum bikes and all the gear usually don't wave/nod. I can climb pretty well so I always enjoy showing them up when given the chance. Women on bikes never acknowledge me - but I look kind of sketchy.

I'm always happy to see people out riding so I'll wave/nod to anyone.

CaptStash
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I feel obligated to raise the BS flag on this thread. I live in the Boulder area and ride almost every day, all year. I too am a former runner. When I ride I am not hurt nor offended if another "cyclist" or "rider" fails to wave, salute, nod, or otherwise acknowledge my existance. I certainly don't take offense nor do I make rash generalizations, or speculate about why the other didn't wave. I also don't pass judgement about people on bikes based on my opinions about how much or how little they spent on their gear. That is ridiculous, IMHO. I am just glad to see ANYONE on a bike. It is good for all to be on bikes. I do make it a point to ask EVERYONE who is dealing with a mechanical if they need any assistance. Similarly, when I run, as when I ride, I am enjoying the moment. Please don't take offense if I don't wave, salute, say hello, or otherwise acknowledge your presence. Also, take comfort in knowing that I am not judging you based on how much or how little you spent on your bike and gear. I am glad to see you on a bike and hope that you inspire others to do the same. When I am running, I am working too hard to think about you at all. I don't get my own sense of worth from having people on bikes wave to me. Finally, also know that when I fail to acknowledge you, I am not being an elitist. That would imply that I am actually processing my thoughts, based on seeing you, and then deciding that I am better than you because, in my estimation, you didn't spend enough on your gear. The fact of the matter is that I am simply enjoying a bike ride. I may wave and I may not. Please don't read anything else into it. Enjoy your ride.

+1

CaptStash....

flickwet
06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
non-wavers tend to fall into two classes: 1. newbie poseurs full kit 21-35 yrs old younger ones do wave, difference between a newbie and a poseur I guess, 2. pelotoninos (small groups of racer club types) also see #1) I've been ridin along time I always acknowledge even if its just a finger lift, but heck if its early am they get a good mornin from me. I also find it curious that woman riders and runners always wave, Makes this old man feel like a stud, even if they're really just swatting at a bug.

93legendti
06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I just recently started riding around SE Michigan, and the difference between here and Southern California is significant. Here everybody greets everyone. I even got the peace sign from almost an entire convoy of bikers yesterday as they passed me. Southern California like others are saying, it seemed to matter more how you looked.

Where were you riding when it happened?

OtayBW
06-24-2008, 06:24 PM
I ran across a group (4) of ~kindegarten-aged kids riding up this rural road toward me on either side of the road today. I went right up the middle and gave them a good wa(i)ve and they all laughed and wa(i)ved back (I'm still wondering about the laughing part...ah, nevermind...).

~30 seconds later, a bird crapped on my left (non-wa(i)ving) hand.

Cdub
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Always wa(i)ve to every person I see. Lots of folks don't acknowledge it even when we are the only two on the road. i always wave to motorist on back counrty roads hoping it will make them think we are nice folks.

One case I will not wa(i)ve, if I am in the middle of a hard interval, but my wife does not expect me to say anything when I am on the trainer ;) !

Dekonick
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I think it is kinda funny - there is this prick - rides the same route I do quite often. I always wave - he never does. I yield to pedestrians and runners, he buzzes them. I have only seen him wave to female runners...oh, the irony!

Funny part, he looks like a dork on the bike so I just laugh.

oh - this is on a bike path. I prefer the road, but there are stretches near me that it is safer to ride the path than get creamed by a semi...

WadePatton
06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm going to get miffed if a cyclist doesn't acknowledge my presence on a bike out here in the boodiddles. #1. It's pretty rare to see another cyclists and #2. If we don't know each other, we know some of the same peeps. #3. This is where motorists wave at each other.

If I run into another cyclist on the road, we usually wind up stopped and chatting--yes male or female.

Not stopping to offer to help-even if you can't- is a high crime out here.

Of course I wave at every motorist, cyclist, pedestrian, homeowner, and porch swinger when I'm riding. Well, also when driving.

I completely understand the lack of waving in areas of high population, but when in Rome (GA) or thereabouts. Wave at the folk, we'll talk about you if you don't.

Most of the motorists wave back and I like that, means I've been seen and am not just a freak-in-the-road to them. I'm a freak-in-the-road that waves--and that's one step in the direction of them realizing that I'm a peeple with no protection and needs a little room while I'm out there.

Some kids on BMX bikes rolled up with us and chatted the other day. In hindsight, I should have slowed a bit more, or stopped to talk with them. We talked and I thought I was putting along, but kiddos ran out of breath pretty quick. Bad me.

http://www.sheknows.com/graphics/emoticons/friendlywave.gif

Spinner
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
... bikers, walkers, standers in yards all seem to smile and wave. must be mrs. spinner, the stoker, that brings out this behavior.

Kevan
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
in NYC,on 5th Avenue, near Rockefeller Center, during the holidays. It didn't go over so good. Where's the cheer?