PDA

View Full Version : Helmets on the kids, none on their parents!

Sandy
06-21-2008, 02:37 AM
I often see parents riding bikes with their children. Normally the kids have bicycle helmets, but very often the parents do not. I often want to say something to them to the effect that not only are children's heads vulnerable but so are adults. Seems foolish to me.

Sandy

barry1021
06-21-2008, 06:00 AM
puzzled me too. I guess cuz its not the law.....

b21

roadie7
06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Working in a bike store, I see and hear parents justify this behavior all the time. One time a male customer said that he believed when it was his time there was nothing he could do so he didn't wear a helmet. I wanted to mention his children, grandchildren and friends that would mourn his loss but I thought I'd be talking to a wall.

Dekonick
06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Who ever said parents are smart?

Yeah - I agree. It is a poor example to set for your kids.

toaster
06-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Riding a mountain bike and wearing a ball cap is the height of coolness for average folk.

Putting a helmet on the kid that doesn't fit and looks like an oversize yarmulke makes one seem responsible while remaining clueless.

Lifelover
06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I must admit that I'm guilty as charged.

I think there are multiple lessons to be learned when dealing with kids and helmets.

For the most part, teenagers are going to reach a point where they would choose not to ride Vs. wear a helmet when riding around with their friends. My love for cycling was formed, in part, from all day cruising with friends at 15 y/o. While I understand the risk, developing that love can mean life long benefits.

In our house the rules for everyone have always been along these lines.

If the law says wear a helmet (due age or where you are riding), we all wear helmets.

If we are going out for a fairly serious road or trails ride, we all wear a helmet.

If we are cruising the hood, running to a friends house or up to 7-11, they are not required.

Life is full of risk, and risk management skills are important. I want my kids to understand that you prepare differently for different situations. My hope is that when they get beyond the self conscious teenage years, they will love cycling and understand that helmets are an important part of it.

ATMO, teaching your kids how to ride in various "traffic" conditions is far more important. Seeing kids (or adults) without helmets doesn't not scare me nearly as much as seeing kids who don't understand simple traffic safety rules.

Fixed
06-21-2008, 09:28 AM
do as i say not as i do ..
cheers
okay how about this ...a lot of parents smoke but they don't want their kids to
cheers
imho

Lincoln
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm with Sandy on this.
Parents are first and foremost role models. You can "say" all you want to them but the kids will want to "do" what you "do." All you are teaching them is that they have to wear one but that helmets suck. They may do what you say for a while but as soon as they can, they will be doing what you do. Bet that applies to smoking too.

csm
06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I wear a helmet 99% of the time when I ride and 100% of the time when I ski. my 2 boys have the 100% of the time rule to follow; with the sub-rule of "if it has wheels you wear a helmet." the youngest follows this religiously; he thinks helmets are cool. the older boy thinks sometimes he shouldn't have to.
I find it disheartening to see the guys on motorcycles go by sans helmets though. to me, that is just asking for it.

Lifelover
06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm with Sandy on this.
Parents are first and foremost role models. You can "say" all you want to them but the kids will want to "do" what you "do." All you are teaching them is that they have to wear one but that helmets suck. They may do what you say for a while but as soon as they can, they will be doing what you do. Bet that applies to smoking too.

It's worded a little differently but we are saying the same thing. Helmets do suck and I would prefer never to wear one. However common sense says, they need to be worn in certain situation. If my kids will follow my lead and do as I do in this regard, I will be happy.

false_Aest
06-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Saw family of 4.

Mom and dad as well as kids had helmets on . . . . BUT . . . .

kid 1+2 didn't have helmets strapped under the chin
Mom had helmet backwards
Dad's helmet was 3 sizes too small.

As I passed the mom I told her her helmet was on backwards... dunno if she fixed it.

At least their hearts are in the right place?

Frankwurst
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I did it like this. If I requested my kids to do it, I did it too.I never told them or asked them to do something I wouldn't do myself. When they reached the age of 18 it became their call. :beer: