PDA

View Full Version : question on my last week of training for MS150

fierte_poser
06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

As you might guess from my username, I talk about bike riding a whole lot more than I actually ride. :eek: This year has been my best year of training ever, and I have one last weekend + week before the Colorado MS150 ride on 6/28-29. I've never done this distance back-to-back and I would like to solicit your advice on how much and how hard to ride during this last week of training. Here's my background:

- 35 years old
- 900 miles year-to-date
- 62 miles - longest ride of the year
- last weekend I rode 22 miles on Friday, 55 on Saturday, and 55 on Sunday

Here's my plan for the next 10 days:

- Today - off
- Sat- 65 miles
- Sun - 65 miles
- Mon - off
- Tue - 25 miles recovery
- Wed - 25 miles recovery
- Thu - off
- Fri - off
- Sat - 75 miles
- Sun - 75 miles

What do you think? I'm wondering if 65/65 this weekend is too much this close to the actual ride next weekend. Also, work has been a bear the last week and a half and I'm feeling more tired than usual the past few days.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Kent

BURCH
06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I have done a lot of MS150's. Great events run by great people. Last one that I did was in Cape Cod last July and it was pretty sweet.

Anyhow, I think that from reading you to date miles, you could take off the rest of the time until the event and be fine. Plus there is enough support with rest stops that you can stop about every 20 miles if you need.

You could do the 65/65 this weekend or cut Sunday short and still be fine for next week. I don't think I ever put together two days like that before the event. I like your 25 miles on Tuesday. I would see how you feel by Wednesday and maybe move/shorten that ride to 10-15 miles on Thursday. In the end, listen to you body.

I am sure some folks here will have some more scientific advice, but I think you are golden.

rwsaunders
06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
You are ready indeed. Just stay away from Mexican food on Friday and get a good night's rest. You'll be pumped on Saturday and Sunday, as the MS events are a blast.

Send photos and a ride report or BBDave will join you next year in his zebra outfit.

maunahaole
06-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I think that you are OK. Don't blow your wad on the morning of the first day getting caught up in the silliness that can ensue when a bunch of freaks in lycra congregate. Go out and ride your own ride, go hard when you feel good, go easy when you don't. Concentrate on having fun and finishing with your skin intact.

chuckroast
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
You are so good to go I wouldn't lose any sleep at all worrying. Ride a couple three times this week to keep the legs loose but no hard efforts. During the event, eat a little at the stops and do stop. Is there no century option on the first day? If there is, do it and collect the patch, you'll be glad you did.

fierte_poser
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. First off, I think I need to concentrate on sleep and nutrition for the next week, two things that have slowly gotten worse over the last 3 weeks for me due to my parents visiting and a flare up at work.

Second, I think I'll adjust this weekend to ride 75/40 instead of 65/65. And I'm going to ride *slow*. No more hard efforts. I will take the art of JRA to a new level this weekend. :D

Finally, there is no century option on Day 1, but there is one on Day 2. Unfortunately, the century option happens right at the start of the course and adds ~3000 feet of vertical climb over those extra 25 miles. Not sure if I'll attempt the century option or not. That might be too much for me.

Thanks again,
Kent

MilanoTom
06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. First off, I think I need to concentrate on sleep and nutrition for the next week, two things that have slowly gotten worse over the last 3 weeks for me due to my parents visiting and a flare up at work.

Second, I think I'll adjust this weekend to ride 75/40 instead of 65/65. And I'm going to ride *slow*. No more hard efforts. I will take the art of JRA to a new level this weekend. :D

Finally, there is no century option on Day 1, but there is one on Day 2. Unfortunately, the century option happens right at the start of the course and adds ~3000 feet of vertical climb over those extra 25 miles. Not sure if I'll attempt the century option or not. That might be too much for me.

Thanks again,
Kent

Kent -

I've done 15 or so MS rides over the last 14 years. They're a blast.

I'd recommend that you not bother with the century. It's no fun to be 3/4 done and wish you'd only done the 75. On top of that, you'll get in later than the 75-milers (meaning the good chow has been picked over). You can always do a century another time.

Best wishes. You'll do fine - just avoid the temptation to start out at a screaming pace.

Regards.
Tom

PS - I'm doing the Rhode Island MS-150 this weekend. Thankfully it'll be a lot flatter than the Colorado ride.

BumbleBeeDave
06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
You are ready indeed. Just stay away from Mexican food on Friday and get a good night's rest. You'll be pumped on Saturday and Sunday, as the MS events are a blast.

Send photos and a ride report or BBDave will join you next year in his zebra outfit.

I just picked up some winter zebra knickers off eBay. I think all I need now are some leg warmers and knee warmers to complete the whole collection for winter and summer.

Anyway, nix the Wednesday recovery ride and just do some good stretching those three days off. You'll do fine.

Just stay away from the Luna Bars . . . One year on our MS150 all they had at the rest stops were these "new Luna Bars for women" and bunches of green bananas to make sure we ate the Luna bars. By mile 150 I NEVER wanted to see another Luna Bar, much less eat one, and I was sure my man-boobs were starting to grow . . . :D

BBD