PDA

View Full Version : Chainguard

sevencyclist
06-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a Surly Crosscheck that I use as commuter. It has derailer for both front and the rear. I have been using straps to keep my pants from being snagged and getting dirty. I am wondering whether there's any effective chainguards that I can add onto the bike to serve the purpose. Thanks.

Ken Robb
06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Rivendell sells one

staggerwing
06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
If you care to consider dropping the front derailer, and going 1x9 (or 8), which isn't such a crazy idea on a commuter rig, then this (http://velo-orange.com/sunchaiguard.html) guard from Velo-Orange might be the ticket.

Of course, with a single front chainring, on the inner position, a simple bashring in the outer spot may be enough. Thinking outside the box, it would be nice if you could get a triple, and move the outer and middle rings to the middle and inner position. Then, just put a bashring on the outside spots.

I seem to remember, as a kid, that Schwinn Varsities, and other such "10-speeds", often had a chrome ring just outside of the large chainring, as a guard.

jvp
06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
roll up your pants cuffs for the hipster look.

Bud_E
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM

My daughter has made off with my car so I've been biking to work. Every day I look down and realize that for 2 or 3 hours I've been walking around the office building with my right pant cuff rolled up.

Oirad
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Yeah, Baby! (IMHO)

Oirad