PDA

View Full Version : FS: '08 Look 595 Origin, XL

lavi
06-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I had this up a few months ago. Thought I try it again. My Speedvagen :beer: is almost ready and I'm contractually obligated to not have both of these bikes....by my better half.

There was not much seat mast cut off this bike. I have pics of the cut portion of the mast as well. The length from the middle of the BB to the saddle rails is 78cm. That's with 1cm of spacer. In other words, 77cm with no spacer/bumpers. It comes with an addtional 4 cm of spacers.

Specs HERE (http://www.lookcycle.com/products/data/geometrie/geometrie595.pdf).

$2,500 plus shipping/OBO. Retails for $3,700. Please be reasonable with the offers. No trades either. If I wanted a half drank PBR and a rusty fixie, I'd post this on CL.

lavi
06-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Per the PM. Here's a closer up shot of the setback. Are there any geometry gurus out there that could figure out what the effective STA would be with the set back being fully utilized? The frame has a STA at 73.

If it's an easy solution, please no laughing.

lavi
06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Is anyone at all interested? Is the price off? Did everyone already spend their stimulous checks? :beer:

I'd prefer to sell to the forum rather than ebay.

John M
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
If I have calculated correctly, a 1.5 cm setback would yield a 1.1 degree shallower angle. That is assuming that the 0 point on the seatpost is at 73 degree STA. That is for a seat mast length of 77 cm.

lavi
07-16-2008, 04:22 PM
$2K. Anybody? If no interest, how about some light hazing.

This bike has to go. The Speedvagen took up its place in the garage. :beer:

haimtoeg
07-17-2008, 08:28 PM
I need one size smaller. Too bad!

jonathanirwin
07-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Lavi, let me know when you're ready to unload the S.V.

barry1021
07-19-2008, 04:04 PM
its so purty. If ever I were to buy a CF bike, that would be it. Alas the rider needs to shed serious poundage before he can consider it.

b21

lavi
07-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Johnathan,

If I don't sell the Look, I may need sacrifice the 'Vagen. YIKES... :crap:

I'd rather get kicked square before I do that though. However, the economy dictates that I only have one race bike at a time. OR I could sell my MX Leader. I don't realy want to do that either.

Someone, please just buy it. :beer:

lavi
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the interest. Check you pm's.

Ozz
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Will someone buy this frackin' thing so it goes away!!??!!

I don't need it, but I sure want it..... :beer:

jmc22
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I made an offer but based on the frame having a seat mast and not a seat post, it is not a frame for just anyone and makes it harder to sell.
Just my 0.02

jmc22
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I made an offer but based on the frame having a seat mast and not a seat post, it is not a frame for just anyone and makes it harder to sell.
Also, there is a new 585 on E-bay for about $1,599.00 that I think will not sell and be relisted for a lower price.
Just my 0.02

stormyClouds
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Also, there is a new 585 on E-bay for about $1,599.00 that I think will not sell and be relisted for a lower price.
Just my 0.02
I am sure that the seller really appreciates your comments.

DRZRM
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh come on Stormy, he asked if his price was off a few posts up. Seems to me that jmc22 was letting him know it may be. The guy wants to move his bike, is the fact that one is not moving at almost a $1K less than asking not relevant to his question? I've had bikes on this forum that were not moving at my asking price. That is relevant information. Geez!

I am sure that the seller really appreciates your comments.

stormyClouds
07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh come on Stormy, he asked if his price was off a few posts up. Seems to me that jmc22 was letting him know it may be. The guy wants to move his bike, is the fact that one is not moving at almost a $1K less than asking not relevant to his question? I've had bikes on this forum that were not moving at my asking price. That is relevant information. Geez!
I agree that it's cool to help the guy out with pricing info. I just think that it would be more polite to do it via pm. Especially if you feel the need to point out your opinion on design flaws/problems for the potential buyers.
I also don't agree with pointing the audience to an ebay auction (for a lesser model, nonetheless) for a better deal.

lavi
07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't mind the input at all. Folks know that there's a difference b/t an '07 585 and an '08 595. An intgrated seatmast is not the only difference. Some folks sell bikes for less because they really need the cash.

I believe my price is pretty fair considering what the bike is. I also realize it's harder to sell a frame with an integrated seatmast. Luckily for me I have really long legs and prefer a shorter TT with a longer stem so that the next guy probably won't have the issue of the seatmast being too short.

jmc22
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree that it's cool to help the guy out with pricing info. I just think that it would be more polite to do it via pm. Especially if you feel the need to point out your opinion on design flaws/problems for the potential buyers.
I also don't agree with pointing the audience to an ebay auction (for a lesser model, nonetheless) for a better deal.

stormyClouds:
Don't you think that anyone that is able to pony up for a frame such as this is not going to do their homework.. you make it sound as though the internet is a big secret and nobody knows that you can look up items and find out what they believe their true worth is and make an educated decision as to what they are willing to pay for oneself.
In addition, I think the seller made the point quite clear that he is desperate to sell this frame a number of times....well, in my opinion I think the 595 frame is hard to sell due to the mast, whereas the 585 - which is the same frame but with a standard seatpost, may be easier.
I hope the seller does sell it & gets his full asking price, I sent him a PM asking what he would sell it for, he responded & I in return sent him a reply telling him what I was willing to pay for his used frame. Someone may think otherwise and pay more, but that is their decision.
Lastly about the auction, it was not my item, it did sell so I was wrong and again, don't you think that is where a lot of people will find out what the true market is for an item, especially when the Seller said was considering selling it there & would have to pay their fees?

stormyClouds
07-23-2008, 10:15 PM
stormyClouds:
Don't you think that anyone that is able to pony up for a frame such as this is not going to do their homework.. you make it sound as though the internet is a big secret and nobody knows that you can look up items and find out what they believe their true worth is and make an educated decision as to what they are willing to pay for oneself.
In addition, I think the seller made the point quite clear that he is desperate to sell this frame a number of times....well, in my opinion I think the 595 frame is hard to sell due to the mast, whereas the 585 - which is the same frame but with a standard seatpost, may be easier.
I hope the seller does sell it & gets his full asking price, I sent him a PM asking what he would sell it for, he responded & I in return sent him a reply telling him what I was willing to pay for his used frame. Someone may think otherwise and pay more, but that is their decision.
Lastly about the auction, it was not my item, it did sell so I was wrong and again, don't you think that is where a lot of people will find out what the true market is for an item, especially when the Seller said was considering selling it there & would have to pay their fees?

Fair enough. I can see your point as well.
Apologies for the thread drift...
Super cool bike - best of luck to Lavi with the sale.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
stormyClouds:

Have you ever looked at a 585 and a 595 side by side? There are MANY differences beyond the integrated seatmast...And, the very different price of the 2 reflect this as well...

Just an FYI.

Steve

lavi
07-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks SOCAL. There are significant differences. I'm not ramming this bike down anyone's throat. The right person, who knows what this frame is all about, will love it and love the price too.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks SOCAL. There are significant differences. I'm not ramming this bike down anyone's throat. The right person, who knows what this frame is all about, will love it and love the price too.

Your welcome and yes, it is a great price...I own the 2007 Team version of this frame in a XXL...

I have been so busy shooting and on the weekends teaching my wife to ride a fixie that I have not had a chance to finish the build as yet, nor cut down the seat mast to where I need it to be.

I can say this though, the 595 is the real deal. Amazing build quality and you know you are NOT buying a Tawainese stamped out huge production frameset...

Good luck on your sale!

Steve

barry1021
07-24-2008, 07:11 PM

ain't rammin' nothing down nowhere..I am a steel guy and I think that bike is drop dead gorgeous, if it rides as well as it looks, woah!!

b21

keno
08-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I recently bought the Look 565 Origin f/f and built it up with Shimano bits and pieces. I've ridden it both on my Velomax Orion IIs and my new tubeless Shimano 7850-SLs. I love this bike on each set of wheels, and I'll try my Nimbles just for the hell of it. In fact, after a brief ride yesterday on my Ottrott ST I've decided to sell it as the 565 ride is so much more interesting to me now. (Ottrott is 60/59(virtual), 4 deg slope TT)

I don't believe that the internal differences between lavi's and my frame are significant (there's some alu in my bb and more grams than lavi's) and would handle similarly. I'm thrilled with it.

keno

SoCalSteve
08-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I recently bought the Look 565 Origin f/f and built it up with Shimano bits and pieces. I've ridden it both on my Velomax Orion IIs and my new tubeless Shimano 7850-SLs. I love this bike on each set of wheels, and I'll try my Nimbles just for the hell of it. In fact, after a brief ride yesterday on my Ottrott ST I've decided to sell it as the 565 ride is so much more interesting to me now. (Ottrott is 60/59(virtual), 4 deg slope TT)

I don't believe that the internal differences between lavi's and my frame are significant (there's some alu in my bb and more grams than lavi's) and would handle similarly. I'm thrilled with it.
keno

Meant with no disrespect, but the 565 and 595 are two completely different bikes...Pretty much everything about them is different...

Put the two side by side and you will see what I am talking about.

Steve

happycampyer
08-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Meant with no disrespect, but the 565 and 595 are two completely different bikes...Pretty much everything about them is different...

Put the two side by side and you will see what I am talking about.

Steve

I agree with you, Steve. The 595 is a much higher performance rig and is technologically more advanced, but that said, it's not for everyone. I have a 595 and an Ottrott ST, and the 595 is a pure bred racing bike. Unless you ask Serotta to make the bike ultra stiff, the ride quality of an Ottrott is probably closer to the 585 or 565, IMO.

paczki
08-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a 595 and an Ottrott ST, and the 595 is a pure bred racing bike.

Do you have the Origin or Ultra?

happycampyer
08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Do you have the Origin or Ultra?I have the Origin. Obviously, the 585 is a pure bred racing bike, too. Regarding the comparison of the bikes, it is interesting to note, for example, that Thor Hushovd rode a 585 in this year's Paris-Roubaix (http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2008/probikes/?id=thor_hushovds_agricole_look_roubaix08). IMO, the 595 is a very comfortable bike considering how stiff it is, especially torsionally. For sprinting, high speed cornering, etc., the 595 is the better bike; for riding over rough pavement, the 585 is probably the better choice (as Hushovd's choice attests).

Lavi,

Apologies for turning your classified into a discussion thread, but it does serve to bump it from time to time. The 595 is a very special bike. If I had to keep one bike, I'd keep the 'vagen, too. Your price is more than reasonable.

keno
08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I have an Ottrott and a 565 Origin and they have next to nothing in common. The 565 is a much tighter ride compared with a more plush, foregiving ride on the Ottrott. The 565 is far more lively with greater road feel and gives me a much greater feeling of being on a bike that wants to go.

I have ridden a Look Ultra 585, which I expect is what Hushovd was on, and that is a very different bike from the Origin. A sprinter with his strength demands the stiffest frame available, given sponsor issues. In comparing the Origin models, please explain with some specificity the differences between the Origin in the 565, 585 and 595 other than alu in the bb of the 565 and the mast on the the 595. Putting aside aethetics, which favor the higher numbers in my view, what is so obviously different? Give me some facts, please.

keno

happycampyer
08-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I have an Ottrott and a 565 Origin and they have next to nothing in common. The 565 is a much tighter ride compared with a more plush, foregiving ride on the Ottrott. The 565 is far more lively with greater road feel and gives me a much greater feeling of being on a bike that wants to go.

I have ridden a Look Ultra 585, which I expect is what Hushovd was on, and that is a very different bike from the Origin. A sprinter with his strength demands the stiffest frame available, given sponsor issues. In comparing the Origin models, please explain with some specificity the differences between the Origin in the 565, 585 and 595 other than alu in the bb of the 565 and the mast on the the 595. Putting aside aethetics, which favor the higher numbers in my view, what is so obviously different? Give me some facts, please.

kenoI'm not familiar with the 565, but I have ridden the 585 and 595, and have learned a bit about the two in terms of the design differences, but I'm no expert.

Although the 595 based on the same design platform as the 585 (there apparently is some rationale behind the "5-x-5" designation"), the 595 is different from the 585 in many ways: the headtube is stiffer, and is tapered to a 1-1/4" lower bearing (to accommodate the 595's HSC6 fork, which, unlike the 1-1/8" HSC5 fork on the 585, is tapered and generally stiffer than the HSC5); the 595's tubes (pretty much every one) use more complex shapes, which Look claims shave weigh and add lateral stiffness and torsional rigidity (and no doubt cost of production); the BB shell is beefier; and the integrated seat mast is designed to be more rigid, and to compensate has an elastomer system to reduce vibration. There is a good review of the 595 on Pez's (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4851) website.

I wasn't saying that the ride quality of the Ottrott (generally speaking, since you can tweak it) is like the 565 or 585. You were questioning whether there was any difference between the 595 and the 565 other than aesthetics. The answer is, yes, absolutely. From the standpoint of plushness, as you put it, the ride of a 585 is more plush than a 595, and I would agree that the Ottrott is more plush and forgiving than a 585 (or at least mine is). The 585 is a steak knife; the 595 is a razor.

The Ultra versions are just stiffer variants of each model; my suspicion is that a 595 Origin is still laterally/torsionally stiffer than a 585 Ultra, based on the design. Btw, the article claims that Hushovd was on a 595 Origin, whch would make sense for a race like Paris-Roubaix IMO.

lavi
08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Campyholic,

No worries. It's nice to see the discussion. I agree with the more recent posts on the 595. It's a brilliant bike that begs to go fast. I have always felt that the more true and subtle characterics of a bike don't make themselves readily apparent until a bike is "ridden in anger" or at least over 25 mph. This is as opposed to soft pedaling something at 16 mph. Not that there's anything wrong about the slower speeds. I just feel a bike really comes alive at race pace. Then a person can feel the flex that gets designed into these stiff frames.

Of course, I only hit 25 mph when the road points downward. :crap:

lavi
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the discussion and interest.

keno
08-03-2008, 05:47 AM
regarding Hushovd's bike, at least in the TdF, http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-thor-hushovds-look-595-pro-team-edition-17377 describes it as the Pro Team model and discusses it pretty thoroughly. While the disucussion we're having raises many questions with not-too-certain answers, I'd bet the ranch that what Hushovd was riding has zero to do with the discussion, not to mention that it may have custom qualities not available to mere mortals. BTW, having looked at the 595 more closely, I expect my comparison with the two other 5_5s was not apt. I do think, however, that the 6 and 8 are likely quite similar in most important ride aspects.

Anyhow, I hope that many Look models show up at FdFL with enough sizing in common and generous owners willing to do on site testing.

keno

SoCalSteve
08-03-2008, 11:57 AM
regarding Hushovd's bike, at least in the TdF, http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-thor-hushovds-look-595-pro-team-edition-17377 describes it as the Pro Team model and discusses it pretty thoroughly. While the disucussion we're having raises many questions with not-too-certain answers, I'd bet the ranch that what Hushovd was riding has zero to do with the discussion, not to mention that it may have custom qualities not available to mere mortals. BTW, having looked at the 595 more closely, I expect my comparison with the two other 5_5s was not apt. I do think, however, that the 6 and 8 are likely quite similar in most important ride aspects.
Anyhow, I hope that many Look models show up at FdFL with enough sizing in common and generous owners willing to do on site testing.

keno

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!