PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my "new" bike...

scottcw
10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=44684&postcount=1

I bought Dave's Kirk Terraplane. Now I need to have it built. Problem is cost... in the last few months, I have bought an Ottrott and the Terraplane. I am pretty much tapped on big expenditures.

I am a big Campy fan, so I would like to go all Campy group, except for maybe a Phil Wood BB and the stem/bars. I already have pedals. Can I keep it under $600?

Recommendations appreciated.

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
I forget where I saw it but you can get a full Campy centaur group for @ 600

Thats the brifters,front and rear der's,crankset,casette. You still need wheels...

-or- a complete veloce groupo for 450 or so.

Ken Robb
10-07-2004, 01:39 PM
look at GVH Bikes

dgauthier
10-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Try http://www.totalcycling.com.

They have 2004 Veloce groupsets (without hubs) for $436, and Veloce hubs for $62. With shipping it'll be a bit over $500, and you still have to get rims, spokes, seatpost, saddle, bars and stem. I'll bet you're looking at something approaching $800.

Lately I've noticed the prices at http://www.supergo.com are better than totalcycling for Campy Record and Chorus, but I haven't cross-shopped for Veloce.

rnhood
10-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Very, very nice bike.

My advice is to go with the new Shimano Ultegra as it is 10 speed and based on the new Dura-Ace 10 which, is an outstanding group. I don't know how you could do better. But, personal subjectivity must be considered also so, if you like Campy then I think the Centaur would do nicely on this bike. Nevertheless, try to ride a bike equipped with the new Shimano 10 speed just to see how it feels and works.

And again, very nice bike.

Serotta PETE
10-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Think you are going to have to spend more than $600, unless you already have the phil BB and crank. Unless someone has some used items, you will need to spend more than that for anything but a 9 speed 105 or ultegra.

The assumption is that you already have Campy, if so than I would say wait until you have enough to equipt the frame with the items that you want. It is cheaper to wait than to buy something and then have to upgrade later.

I have found this out painfully over the past years.

Pete :cool:

scottcw
10-07-2004, 02:25 PM
The assumption is that you already have Campy, if so than I would say wait until you have enough to equipt the frame with the items that you want. It is cheaper to wait than to buy something and then have to upgrade later.

I have found this out painfully over the past years.

Yep, the Ottrott is all Campy. I will not even consider Shimano. Hate it.

I could wait until spring to build the bike as riding season is close to over in the NE anyway. Then I could drop $1,400 or so on a Chorus group.

Too Tall
10-07-2004, 02:36 PM
You won't have to look hard to find ultegra/chorus in the ballpark.

OldDog
10-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Winter is soon upon us. If you can stand the wait (practice in patiance) do it they way you want in the spring. In the meantime, how about some picks?
Good luck with it.

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Going with veloce or centaur is not a bad option. IMHO, centaur is a great option. I had a bike that was full veloce, and it was a dream component group (in fact its what made me change to all campy...now I have a hard time liking shimano ultegra or DA even they are decent groups.)

I actually changed my rear der. (which was record 9) with a centaur 10 instead of getting a chorus or record 10 replacement. I did get record brifters though...got a good deal ($200) Works great!

I moved all my 9sp campy to my older colorado, and have the HC all record/chorus/centaur mix. It all works just great!

no disrespect to all of the Shimano folks. I just personally like the thumb shifter. I also like my brake lever to NOT move.

Bill Bove
10-07-2004, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=scottcw] I will not even consider Shimano. Hate it.
I agree.

Big Dan
10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Kind if strong statement..I guess I used to love Campy too until they left me stuck with 4 pairs of 8 speed wheels.. :crap:
Now I can use my Shimano wheelsets with 8,9 and 10 speeds...

Good luck on your quest..you can always get some parts on ebay..unless you hate that too.... :D

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Hmmm - Ill bet if you still have those wheels (and 8sp Campy 'ponents) you can make some frame mighty happy...perhaps a Kirk Terraplane?

:)

Yeah - I know it sucks to be stuck with old tech that you cant upgrade - but at least campy 8 sp Brifters can go to 9, and 9 to 10 - and they can be overhauled.

I dunno - I used to love STI. Now I really dislike it...

Sandy
10-07-2004, 05:00 PM
There are many factors that go into choosing Campy over Shimano or vice versa- ergonomics, price, reputation, longevity concerns, appearance, ease of operation, personal experience, repair and maintenance costs and ease of repair, availability of parts, dealer input, friend's input,advertising, cycling articles,.....

But to say that one hates Shimano seems somewhat excessive in my opinion. I really don't understand how hardly anyone would hate Dura-Ace 10. Perhaps you wouldn't like it or want it, but......

Besides, I would not like (I didn't say hate) signing my name as Campy Cerotta Candy. But it is so easy to say:

Spinning Shimano Spinning Serotta Sandy

Sandy
10-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Have you ridden any bikes with the Dura-Ace 10?? If so, did you really dislike the group?

I really don't want to change my name. Besides, if I do, I might have to become:

:butt: Calfee Carl :butt:

Ken Robb
10-07-2004, 05:15 PM
I have 4 Shimano bikes and 2 Campy--they all work great.I might slightly prefer Ergo shifters but I hate paying so much extra to buy Campy and then having to pay so much extra for chain and cassette replacements. For me I could say it's a hard choice but it isn't really. I'll buy whichever I get the best deal on next time because they all work fine for me. I've never had to do more than clean and lube any brifters including some Suntour 7 speed stuff on a Schwinn CrissCross. I lube and/or replace cables when they get just a little sticky feeling.

Big Dan
10-07-2004, 05:33 PM
When I started reading the thread I understood the reasoning behind the 2 bikes with the same components. I guess the words love and hate are too strong for me. When someone knocks on my door and gives me Campy or Shimano stuff for free.. :) ..then I will love those components. In the meantime I use whatever I can get the best deal.. I really like the D/A 9 sp stuff..good enough for me.. :banana:

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Superior Serotta Sandy,

Surely sometimes shimano slightly sours...

While

Certain Campy cruises can cause cerebral celebration.

Please ponder this pleasant post!

:banana: Ride what fits the budget, and makes you happy! :banana:

I still prefer my Campy ergo's but miss Shimano (and/or Sram's) casette prices. (and wheelsets)

malcolm
10-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Try lickbike. I just bought a full chorus group for under 1k. It was without hubs but included everything else.

Tom Robison
10-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Yep, the Ottrott is all Campy. I will not even consider Shimano. Hate it.

I could wait until spring to build the bike as riding season is close to over in the NE anyway. Then I could drop $1,400 or so on a Chorus group.

I'm with you with the Campy. Since your season is nearly over, put the frame aside and save up for at least Chorus. The lesser groups are good, but you'll always wish you had Chorus/Record.

You can also piece the parts out via ebay and pick 'em up, at your leisure, over the off season.

Tom

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I disagree - As long as it is centaur or better its essentially the same stuff. Centaur is basically last year's chorus (from what I hear anyway - according to campy its their top o da line quality - so record, chorus or centaur is the way to go)

Record - chorus is last years record, - centaur is last years chorus. In other words, unless you have serious snoot factor issues, Centaur is good chit.

P.S. you can always tell when I am at work as I post all day and night long between calls and paperwork. :D

sevencyclist
10-08-2004, 01:03 AM
You mentioned that you have an Ottrott, so you probably have a good set of wheels. You could probably use the same set of wheels on both bikes, as long as you stick with same drivetrain company, so you can save that portion of the cost to use on other parts.

William
10-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Campy, Shimano.
Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

Both work great. I have never had any major problems with the 105, Ultegra, & DA groups that I have. I know guys who love the Campy they have had. Maybe I’ll try Campy some day, but when ever the time has come to buy, I have always found better deals on Shimano.

I don’t think you can really go wrong with either brand. :banana:

Just a side note:
Not that this really means anything, but I have come across WAY more Campy snobs in my time than Shimano snobs. Probably has more to do with having a link/name that evokes the image of classic European cycling heritage than actual performance. But that’s just MHO. Take it for what it’s worth.

William

ace007
10-08-2004, 01:45 PM
I'll be selling some Campagnolo Eurus wheels with Michelin Pro Race Tires on them (both ridden about 250 miles) in the next week or so for $600 + $20 shipping if you are interested.

shaq-d
10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
just wanna say, centaur isn't really last year's chorus, at least for BB's. the centaur BB uses a completely different tool than the one for the chorus-record bb's, which is the nice circular socket wrench thingy that you stick into the middle of the bb. the centaur bb uses a tool that you get to around the outer edge, more similar to the shimano bb's. just a tiny point :)

sd

edit: just looked at the campy site, the 2005 centaur bb looks to be on a par with the chorus though.. hmm i might be referring to older centar..well whatever :p :crap: