PDA

View Full Version : Q-Rings

Chief
06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Who is using Q-Rings and what advantages and benefits, if any, do you perceive with them. Are you using them with compact cranks or regular cranks?

Chief
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
No one using Q-Rings?

Waldo
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I am using for the better part of last two years and continuously since August. Like them a lot. Don't feel like I am pedaling squares or any other non-smooth geometrical forms. Don't know if I am going faster because of them or because I am riding more than in the past. No knee issues. Make sure you have room to move up your front derailleur (if braze-on) to accomodate the big ring, as its effective size is larger than its nominal (number of teeth) size. Front derailleur performance is a bit worse than with round rings.

dekindy
06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I researched these thoroughly various sources a couple of months age including a review on Roadbikerider.com and further questioning of the reviewer. To make a long story short, skip it. Might have some minimal value for climbing hills in a granny gear. You are better off just working on the engine and "get ur done".

Waldo
06-20-2008, 05:15 PM
FWIW, Joe Friel likes 'em.

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/04/q-rings.html

Matt Barkley
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
A couple of the fastest cats I know are using them on the road and tt bikes... :beer: (I can;t bear to think about trying them out after biopace and rotorcranks and powercranks and I just want to pedal in circles the easiest least complicated for me) :beer:

tmanley
06-21-2008, 12:16 PM
I've been using them for the past year and really like them. I've just switched over to a compact crank and I'm looking to order a set for these cranks too. I haven't done any specific tests to see how my power output has changed, but that might be something worth trying over the winter.