PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost rack recommendations please

Chad Engle
06-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I want to buy a seatpost mounted rack to use when commuting. Just enough room to haul pair of shoes, pants, shirt. I can also switch it easily from one bike to the other if I get the urge to ride something else.

Any recommendations? Or any horror stories?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

harlond
06-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I had one, can't even tell you the brand, used it with a Nashbar trunk bag to carry shoes and clothes. I never had any trouble with it, worked fine. So no help on brand, but no horror stories to tell.

TiGuy
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
It had a tendency to slip sideways if the pack on it was loaded up. Solved that nicely by wrapping a piece of an old tube around the seat post before clamping it.

A matching Topeak trunk pack slides on and off the rack without any other attachment, which makes it really easy to slip it off when you reach your destination.

One tip: Get a rack that slants down toward the rear tire (like the Topeak). Otherwise the loaded trunk pack can stick up so high that you'll test the strength of your hamstring every time you mount the bike.

Fixed
06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
bro tried a mess bag? i could loan you one to try
cheers

93legendti
06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Check out the one in this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22534&highlight=cda

BoulderGeek
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I was on RBR last year asking about the same thing.

Granted, my plan was sport touring in France, so I was going to pack a bit more heavily. But, the regulars talked me out of a seatpost rack, especially since I use a Thompson Elite seatpost.

I just went with a cheap rack from nashbar/performance and used padded clips to attach it, since my frame had no eyelets.

I have to say, origninally I thought it would be fugly and ruin the classic road bike aesthetics (which it was and did). But, the utility I gained, especially being able to go shopping with a milk crate on it and loading up on wine and foie gras, well...it definitely paid off.

And, you can pop it off with only four screws.

Just sayin'.

pdmtong
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
went with this one because rated to carry heavier load.
perfect for farmers market runs. use the tube trick on the post to prevent slip/twist

http://www.rei.com/product/678957?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=AFE362D4-623D-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

Spud
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Moots makes a nice one.

Ahneida Ride
06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Moots ?

or ....

How about a Carradice Barley bag. Velo Orange offers bag loops.

Check out Peter White. I know he has seatpost attachments.

Chad Engle
06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks all. The Moots bag is nice, just a little small it appears.

BoulderGeek: I'm using a Thomson Elite post as well, is it a problem? Actually, road and mtn both are Thomson, so if that is a problem, I'll have to find something else.

I'm going to look into a Carradice bag as well.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Ken Robb
06-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I have a couple of post racks. One has an integral bag w/rain cover and elastic laces on top to secure wet jackets, etc. I got it at REI. The other is 20 years old and plastic with a "hidden" compartment that can hold small tools, keys, patch kit, etc. They both work fine and provide some protection as rear enders. Be careful tightening the post clamp because you can pop the attached nut out of the clamp and be SOL. Don't ask me how I know this. It must happen a lot because customer service told me they'd send me a new clamp before I finished telling my sad tale. :)

OTOH, I have several saddle bags from Berthoud, Carradice, and Rivendell (Hoss and Little Joe in waxed canvas) that carry more and are more versatile. The bikes I use the bags on have B-17s w/loops.

Chad Engle
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Fixed:
I have tried messenger type bags and a backpack, makes me sweaty. Thanks for the offer!

Chad

MarcusPless
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I was in mid-reply last night when my computer's motherboard decided to let it's magic smoke out. :crap:

My first suggestion is to leave a couple of pairs of shoes (and as much other stuff as possible) at the office.

Over the years I've used traditional racks with panniers and/or trunk bags, messenger bags, backpacks, and a Topeak seat post rack. My Topeak is the MTX BeamRack (V-type, it's angled down to lower the weight as much as possible). I also bought a good sized Topeak bag that slides right onto the rack and snaps in place. Of all of the ways I've carried stuff on a bike, the rack that clamps to the seatpost is one of my least favorites.

My main complaint is that when I stand to pedal the whole bike feels a lot less stable, sort of like the tail wagging the dog. I can neutralize it by really focusing on keeping the bike as "still" as possible, but it still doesn't feel right. The rack isn't actually moving around, but the location of the extra weight makes the whole thing feel less than ideal. It's certainly a handy solution, but I wouldn't want to ride with it every day.

If I have to haul a lot I'll use a bolt on rack with panniers, but these days it's rare that I have to carry that much. I really like the Deuter Futura 28 backpack (http://www.deuter.com/en/products/34218_Futura28_312_d2_08_ENG.php). It's got a light, spring steel frame that arches the main pack away from your back, with a meshy fabric that actually rests on your back, so there's a decent amount of air between the pack and your back.

--Marcus

SadieKate
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I just have one of the smaller ones, but DeTours makes some nice bags. They come with a clip to easily remove the rack and bag from your bike for carrying inside.

http://detours.us/index.php?cPath=33

staggerwing
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Yup, weight up high, on a seat post rack will give you that "tail wagging the dog" feeling. It was also my least favorite solution.

A traditional, bolt on rack, with a pannier (I only run a single for commuting) works much better. The only caveat is to pick a rack with a rearward extending side bar, and make certain the pannier is well secured. An ill secured pannier, and a good sized bump, could allow the bag to come loose from its moorings and be sucked into the rear wheel. P-clamps work well for securing these racks to bikes without appropriate brake-ons.

As to why not with a Thompson post; simply because a bolt-on will swing at some point, and put gouge marks on your nice post.

On a ratty old Fuji I once had, I clamped the bolt-on rack to the seat tube, just below where the seatstays were brazed on. It put the load lower, and eliminated the possibility of rack swing. Of course, I wouldn't dream of such an attachment on a decent rig.

Ahneida Ride
06-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Again, might I suggest a Carradice Barley Bag or Zipped Roll.
Check out Peter White or Wallbike...

But then I have a Brooks with bag Loops.
One can carrry tons in the Barley and the bike is most stable.

Velo orange stocks bag loops if you seat lacks them.

A bag & bag loops is a very stable and cheapo solution. ;)

BoulderGeek
06-21-2008, 01:35 AM
My comment about the Thomson Elite was just that there are some who claim that the machined ridges in that post can create points for stress fractures, and that a seatpost rack may hasten cracking.

That's just anecdotal from some people at RBR. No idea how much truth there is to it, but some have claimed that their posts broke under load with clamped racks.

It was the higher center of gravity aspect that made me use a traditional rack with p-clips. Worked fine.

Ken Robb
06-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I just have one of the smaller ones, but DeTours makes some nice bags. They come with a clip to easily remove the rack and bag from your bike for carrying inside.

http://detours.us/index.php?cPath=33

Thanks SK--that's what I have too--nice gear.

Chad Engle
06-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I was at the LBS yesterday afer work, owner showe me his moots seat post bag, very nice, probably won't work. He showed me some racks that clamp to the stays, no mounts on either bike. I like that idea, but difficult to change between bicycles.

Thanks for all the great ideas. May end up just stashing the shoes at the office, very cheap and effective.

scrooge
06-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I had one once (LeMond, I believe)--didn't use it because my hamstrings /thights hit on the clamping device. I'm not sure if it was the rack or me (I also have had this problem with certain tail lights).

If you want it to give it a try, let me know. yours for cheapie cheapie..

dookie
06-21-2008, 09:13 PM
i've got an axiom 'odyssee' on my boss-free mtb. rated to 25kg. remarkably solid if evenly loaded.

i used to have just a single bag and it would torque enough to rub the spokes when heavily loaded, so i got a 2nd to load the other side. i grocery get with it all the time and have loaded it to near capacity. no worries.