PDA

View Full Version : Rest or Ride?

mikki
06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I am doing a long ride (for me) on Saturday and Sunday (just short of 200 miles) and would like some input on how one best prepares a day or two before. Should I rest the day before or ride? I've ridden or worked out three times this week already and seem to have plenty of energy but want my legs to be fresh and strong for the weekend.

Thanks for the insight.

Ozz
06-19-2008, 10:22 AM
rest and hydrate.

SoCalSteve
06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
rest and hydrate.

+1

Take it from an endurance cycling coach. (me)

Good luck!

Steve

mikki
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
OK. Rest and liquify for just one day?

SoCalSteve
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Today and tomorrow. Chill, rest, relax...You will have a much better time as your legs will feel great.

Good luck,

Steve

Bill Bove
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Ride and don't drink.

You'regoing to get lot's of conflicting advice, do what works for you. How do you know what works for you? Well if you don't ride for two days before the event and then feel uncomfortable obviously not riding doesn't work for you. I have to ride every dayso I just back off for a dayor two before anything big or long.

Very imortant!!! EAT during your ride. Food, not just power chemicals. Begin the recovery phase before you finish the ride. At about the 3/4 mark on rides over 150 miles I used to eat a turkey sandwich and a small bag of potato chips. The sandwich gave me protien to aid in recovery, carbs for energy and fat for quick energy. The chips for a little salt. Acouple of asperin help too.

Fixed
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
a week before half of what you do on a normal week 2 days before don't ride day before ride an hour to 90 mins. ..
that has worked for me in the past it is better to be under trained than over trained .. imho
cheers

Big Daddy
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM

You rock girl!

the most important night of sleep is the night before, the night before. So in plains English...tonight. Tonight should be the max amount of sleep you can achieve.

Nothing wrong with spinning tomorrow...Friday.

and of course water.

fierte_poser
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
What about carbo loading? Is that no longer recommended?

Big Daddy
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
What about carbo loading? Is that no longer recommended?

I know her diet...she is ready to go as far as calories. and she knows how to eat on the bike.

93legendti
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Ride and don't drink.

You're going to get lot's of conflicting advice, do what works for you. How do you know what works for you?...
That's the $64,000 question and it is all about finding what works for you. Me, nothing like a coke when I am fading. Good luck - have fun. Don't push too hard too early in the ride.

girlie
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
You rock girl!

the most important night of sleep is the night before, the night before. So in plains English...tonight. Tonight should be the max amount of sleep you can achieve.

Nothing wrong with spinning tomorrow...Friday.

and of course water.

YES! I back the spinning tomorrow and the sleep and rest which means relaxing when you are not sleeping.

Fixed
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
listen to big daddy imho
cheers good luck you'll be fine

fiamme red
06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I am doing a long ride (for me) on Saturday and Sunday (just short of 200 miles)200 miles each day, or are you riding through the night?

thejen12
06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
For myself I would not ride. Besides being physical, it's also mental. Staying off the bike for a couple of days makes me really look forward to riding again. Starting out super jazzed to be on the bike helps keep me going towards the end of a long ride.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Jenn

Lincoln
06-19-2008, 11:24 AM
For ME the formula that works is to take off two days before and then a super light workout the day before.

I also have always been told it's the sleep two nights before that matters the most though I suspect it is really just important to log as much rest as possible the two or three (or four) days leading up to the event. Rest isn't something that can be done all in one day, it takes constant maintenance to get the batteries fully charged.

mikki
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I sincerely appreciate the info. It's sleepy time tonight, for sure! (and water today and tomorrow). The recovery BEFORE the ending of the ride info is also very helpful. Sounds like it might make it easier to make it home Sunday without feeling depleted. (I am also taking Hammer's Recoverite this time)

Should be alot of fun; I feel strong.

regularguy412
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
+ (however many) on the rest day being 2 days before.

Easy spin on the day before - less than 25 miles. At the end of the spin-ride, your legs should feel like they wanna jump and go.

Mike in AR:beer: