PDA

View Full Version : Any band/orchestra instrumentalists here?

ergott
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I mostly play the bass trombone, but have been known to perform on French horn, Euphonium and Tuba. Don't ask me to play the trumpet. That one don't work for me. Tuba rocks, but out of my price point. You guys think bicycles are expensive? The tubas I'm longing for cost more than any car I'd actually consider buying.

I took up the double bass after playing electric for a long time. Gig called for it so I learned it in a hurry. Don't ask me to do arco though. Sounds like a saw played at half speed.

Anyone else?

johnnymossville
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Started way back in school with lessons and band, and continue playing until now. I still play the same clarinet I got then, rebuilt a few times over the years.

3chordwonder
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I've played electric guitar and occasionally bass for a long time now, but musically speaking I'd call myself a deconstructionist rather than an instrumentalist.

Thank god for the beauty to be found in crackle, hum, feedback, whammy bars and simple playing. Try that on a tuba. You really need to be able to play to make any instrument other than an electric guitar sound good, imho. Congrats on being one of those people.

P.S. why are tubas so expensive? (ignorant variation on: 'that much? for a bike?').

P.P.S. back on topic, I did take trumpet lessons with the local brass band when I was a kid. I remember it as a really hard instrument to play with ease and feeling. Not being into brass band music didn't help.

legacysti888
06-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Jazz/funk percussionist/drummer and quite long in the tooth.

ergott
06-19-2008, 06:32 AM
P.S. why are tubas so expensive? (ignorant variation on: 'that much? for a bike?').

Lots of plumbing
http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/MWN-8.aspx
http://www.wwbw.com/Meinl-Weston-6450-Baer-Production-Series-5-Valve-6-4-CC-Tuba-i302018.music

There's a lot of precision in the construction as well.

I know that the good ones are all hand made (sound familiar?) so you have to get the right one. I tried a couple of identical bass trombones out in the shop and there were still differences.

Fixed
06-19-2008, 06:47 AM
i play piano , organ ( hammond ) and guitar
ex road musician
on this note I have a grand piano being delivered to my house today now we will have 2 pianos a old hammond and a bunch of guitars my son plays too he is doing great he plays all day when he is not on the golf course
cheers

DfCas
06-19-2008, 07:16 AM
I was a drummer all thru school,so I played all C's.

I've 'tooned' pianos for 23 years.

ergott
06-19-2008, 07:18 AM
i play piano , organ ( hammond ) and guitar
ex road musician
on this note I have a grand piano being delivered to my house today now we will have 2 pianos a old hammond and a bunch of guitars my son plays too he is doing great he plays all day when he is not on the golf course
cheers

Excellent work! I love Hammonds. Got a Leslie?

Fixed
06-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Excellent work! I love Hammonds. Got a Leslie? not anymore
i scaled down many years ago i had a b3 with 2 122 les. now I have a little m3 that is as old as i am i don't start it up that often these days ..
cheers

Michael Maddox
06-19-2008, 07:54 AM
ergott--

I'm a trombonist, myself. Mostly legit with some Tallahassee ensembles, including the BBCO and a couple of quintets. I've kitted out for a good trombone quartet, myself as 1st/2nd tenor and alto trombone, but it's been tough to find people committed to rehearsals for something that is really just a "fun" thing. The best I've really got going was a trombone/cornet duet thing that I did with a friend for a while; we have intentions of making it a bass trumpet/cornet duet when I finally get comfortable on my bass trumpet. On the jazz side, I sub occasionally for the Tallahassee Swing Band, but I've never really developed my jazz chops like I should, although I'll sure blow my lips out trying. :)

I know what you mean about tuba prices. The T2E2 ("Tallahassee Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble") has been on me to buy a tuba for years. As I currently have more instruments than bicycles (and I own 17 bicycles or so), I am NOT allowed to purchase anything that cost as much as a nice sedan.

It's just as well. I've taken some time off from the horn for a year or so. I had developed some technical issues with my breathing that were irritating me. I've used the time to ride much, much more and to concentrate on the piano and guitar. I was just thinking about breaking out the Bordogni etudes and getting back into the swing of things when I saw this thread.

I used to be an admin over at the Online Trombone Journal Forums, which have moved to tromboneforum.org. I think I'll pop in over there and see if I can't get motivated!

scrooge
06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I was a trumpeter through college, but more or less quit during grad school. Now I'm trying to get back into it (seems like a lot of wasted hours in the practice room!) but find it hard to get motivated. I had a quintet going this spring, but we're on hold for the summer...

I also play a little guitar---but again, since college practice/motivation seems to have dropped off. My problem is probably that I spend too much time on bike forums.

My wife's more than fair with the oboe--an especially beautiful instrument if you can play it, an especially horrible one if you can't.

rounder
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Guitar. Been playing since high school...mainly folk and country.

Birddog
06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
If any of you horn players want a challenge and something worthwhile to do in your "spare time", look into playing "Taps" for the burials of our Vets. A local OKC guy started a nationwide effort to find people to do this after he discovered that they were using a recording if they were doing it at all. I believe there might even be some small compensation for doing this. It is very moving when you hear them play "Taps" for the last time. The Buglers usually place themselves some 100 yards or so away from the site. The other day we passed a Cemetery on our ride where they were doing it with a Bagpiper, also very moving.

Birddog

navclbiker
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Clarinetist with the DC Navy Band here. I do a lot of funerals at Arlington in addition to public concerts. Can't play taps though. That would be a bit strange. As was stated above, If you play trumpet or bugle and have some spare time, do hook up with your local VFW and lend your talent. :beer:
-Dave

ergott
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
That's not a bad idea. Trumpet is my worst brass instrument, but I could work up taps. It just wouldn't sound right on trombone;-)

Hardlyrob
06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Long time musician here - principal instrument is classical piano, but it's kind of hard to play that regularly.

I've been a trumpeter / cornet player with occasional forays into baritone and French horn / mellophone. Tuba just doesn't work for me, so I guess Ergott and I are complimentary players!

Until last June I played in the New England Brass Band - a 30 piece British style brass band - great fun playing concerts all around New England, and competing in the Brass Band championships five times (and winning our class twice). Gotta tell you, beats playing in Boston's Symphony Hall - what a sound!

Prior to that played I in various senior and junior drum and bugle corps over the years, and of course the college marching band, wind ensemble etc. Including a gig with the All American College Marching Band for Regan's second inauguration in 1985 - pretty cool

Music is a wonderful thing, my dad still plays trombone regularly at 85!

As suggested above, by all means get in touch with the VFW / Army or whoever in your area. There is a great need for folks to play taps at memorial services - the WWII generation is passing faster and faster every day.

Cheers!

Rob

P.S. - Hey Ergott - where are my wheels?

CaliFly
06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Clarinet, sax, piano, little bit of guitar, little bit of percussion...

Played clarinet in a symphonic band all through high school which allowed me to play in the major cathedrals in Great Britain and Scotland as well as at the World's Fair in Brisbane, Australia.

Played in a local all-synth band in the 80's.

...good times.

Steevo
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Was a tuba player from grade 5 through college - concert band, orchestra, brass quintet, jazz ensemble, the local summer band. All tons of fun. Even marched in the annual Memorial Day parade which was quite a sight - little kid & big horn. That was a long time ago.

I miss playing, and recently dicovered the local Rockland County concert band. The band's leader told me I'd have to get back my chops before joining. Unfortunately I haven't found a tuba for rent, and they are damn expensive to buy. Anyone have any ideas to get access to a decent tuba for low $$$?

Fixed
06-19-2008, 03:08 PM
ebay?
cheers

Fixed
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM
bro this was a big purchase for mrs fixed and me i gave up my singolo hope and some other stuff but family and music are the only things i like better than my bike . .my son is happy i paid cash i save up for things i want and this was deal i could not turn down imho :beer:
cheers

rounder
06-20-2008, 09:07 PM
bro this was a big purchase for mrs fixed and me i gave up my singolo hope and some other stuff but family and music are the only things i like better than my bike . .my son is happy i paid cash i save up for things i want and this was deal i could not turn down imho :beer:
cheers

Tell us about it. Who made it. What is it made of. How old. Needs strings?? Does it play in tune. What are you gonna do with it. Thing looks beautiful. Good luck with it man.

DfCas
06-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Fixed- If you tell me the brand name and the serial #, I can tell you how old it is.

Make sure that the sun doesn't hit it from those windows. It will superheat it and wreck the tuning pretty quick.

Looks like you nave 2 pianos- a studio also?

Fixed
06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
5'10" horugel grand piano. my tuner checked it out after my son found it on craig list the tuner said i would never find a better deal it was delivered yesteday and tuned today it has not been played much and is in great shape ..my son has played it nonstop since we got it.
he has been playing for 10 years and plays and love classical music
i play the piano too yes studio a yamaha p22
cheers

Erik.Lazdins
06-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I took up the saxophone in the 4th grade at Conerly Road school in Somerset, NJ. Since I was tall it was suggested I play the tenor.

Had a Yamaha student horn until I saved up caddie money and in HS bought a Mark VI.

It was fun until I started playing in the HS jazz band in 8th grade in St. Louis. Then I was hooked. I wanted to be a studio player.

But in my Jr year I heard Todd Williams play - he went to cross town U-City HS - I knew he had what I didn't. I had the privilege of rehearsing and playing with him in the 1985 All State Jazz Band - a terrific guy and truly gifted. When he went on to play with Wynton - I wasn't surprised. I played in the Jazz band at Tulsa Univ and gigged in a jazz quintet while getting a non music degree.

In my opinion, even if you don't pursue music as a profession your life is enriched by learning to play. I am hopeful schools don't cut music programs, many have.

Michael Maddox
06-25-2008, 06:10 AM
5'10" horugel grand piano. my tuner checked it out after my son found it on craig list the tuner said i would never find a better deal it was delivered yesteday and tuned today it has not been played much and is in great shape ..my son has played it nonstop since we got it.
he has been playing for 10 years and plays and love classical music
i play the piano too yes studio a yamaha p22
cheers

Fixed,

Have you read the book Grand Obsession, about the quest for the "perfect" piano? I'm about halfway through and have found it a good read for those of us maddened by instruments.

Fixed
06-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Fixed,

Have you read the book Grand Obsession, about the quest for the "perfect" piano? I'm about halfway through and have found it a good read for those of us maddened by instruments.
thanks bro i will look for it at borders
cheers

Ti Designs
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I now hate all of you. What little time I have to myself is split between training on my bike and playing piano. I can put up with having a cheap Serotta with old 9-speed parts 'cause I know it's the motor that counts. No amount of practice is going to make up the difference between a real piano and the electronic piano I own.