PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ergobrain compatibility Q's

d_douglas
06-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I just bought a Fondriest alu with Record 9spd on it. The seller said he would throw in the Ergobrain computer, which I thought might be cool, since I currently have no computer whatsoever on my bike.

To my pleasant surprise, the bike arrived with Campy 10spd, BUT I was looking at the Ergobrain and noticed that it has a 9spd stamp on the bottom of the unit.

Would a 9spd Ergobrain work with a 10spd group? I have no idea.

Also, are these good computers? Is it worth the hassle? I have all the mounts, but I do not want to be bothered with jerry rigging yet another bike related item (as I seem to do far too often). That said, I do have a 9spd Record equipped bike in storage, so if it won't work on this bike it would work on that one.

If it is not worth the hassle, does anyone want this computer? I would trade for some other interesting tidbit.

Your comments or suggestions?

Ahneida Ride
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Rumor has it that 10sp Ergo brain always had issues.

Many reported never getting the computer to function correctly.

Hey, but that's just grapvine rumors.

terrytnt
06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I've had an Ergobrain for my 10sp for 3 years with flawless performance. I'm one of the minority that really likes this computer.... except for the wires. I will change out in the next year or two, just to get rid of the wires. Not sure where I will go...

chuckred
06-19-2008, 07:02 AM
I think the only thing that wouldn't work is the gear indicator. Everything else should. I really like mine - except for the wires...

rockdude
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I have had my Ergo 10 speed for 4 year, works great. Again, is should work fine except for the gear shift indicator will be missing one gear. I don't ever look at the gear indicator except on long climbs when I need one more gear, I will look down at the gear indicator hoping I have one more to go to. The problem is the extra gear is never there.

d_douglas
06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
So, when I received the bike, I could not get the Ergobrain to turn on - how do you do this? It was mounted on the bike and seems to be in excellent aesthetic condition, so what's the trick?

Maybe I should keep on counting teh kms in my head to make the time pass!?!?

Darren

PS he sent the original box that it came in and the instructions as well - I haven't read everything yet, BUT it doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

rockdude
06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
If it is not on get a new battery. It shouldl be on all the time unless your battery is dead or the ergo dead.