PDA

View Full Version : Sad news for the banana (forum mascot)

fiamme red
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/opinion/18koeppel.html?em&ex=1213934400&en=cdcae8cced5c0abe&ei=5087%0A

Ahneida Ride
06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Yup .... It's going to take ever increasing frns just to feed ourselves.
The consequence of frn dilution.

Sasha18
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks. That's a very interesting read. I don't know about you, but my banana icon is dancing because he's fairly traded and organic. :banana: :banana: :banana: Not only are they better for the workers, but they taste a heck of a lot better too. I wonder if this blight mentioned in the article will mean the end of the organic banana?

dave1215
06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
i used to work for chiquita - buying banana farms in the tropics to expand controlled production and allocating worldwide supply to the markets. let me tell you, that's a tough business. commodity pricing dynamics with perishable products create risks beyond control. i moved on to other career opportunities (then chiquita went bankrupt) but still love eating the stuff.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Enigma
06-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Yup .... It's going to take ever increasing frns just to feed ourselves.
The consequence of frn dilution.

Mr. Ride is correct. We need to spend less, waste less, spend what we have, don't spend what we don't have, and don't print money to make up for what we don't have.

Pay our debts if we owe them, but better yet, don't have debts.

It is not a really big mystery why we are in the shape we are in.......

Sandy
06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Dave Thompson is quite happy. He still has some :banana: decals left. I told him today I wanted to buy 4 more. Price is now up to $8.45 for one lousy :banana: decal. That Dave guy is quite the business man.

:banana: Sandy :banana:

maunahaole
06-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Time to plant a banana tree...

At our local store, we have bananas that are grown on the big island available, called the apple banana - I think the "proper" name for the variety is the William. Slightly different flavor, smaller and better shelf life. I guess also somewhat more immune to global politics, too.

Fixed
06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
don't spend more than you make even a dummy like me knows that
cheers :beer: my electric bill last month $ 60.00 never leave anything on when you are not using it imho
cheers

defg705
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been left with a big headache over the government's plans to ratify a key European Union reform treaty following its rejection by Irish voters in a referendum.

Opponents demanding a popular vote on the Lisbon Treaty here said that Ireland's "no" vote on the document meant Brown should now guild wars gold (http://www.ugamegold.com/c_guild-wars/) relent and call a referendum.

Labour promised a referendum on the EU constitution in its 2005 general election manifesto, but the constitution was later rejected by French and Dutch voters.

Brown argues that a vote is now unnecessary as the Lisbon wow gold (http://www.ugamegold.com) Treaty, designed to streamline EU institutions after recent eastwards expansion, has no major implications for British sovereignty.