PDA

View Full Version : Have we finally turned the corner or cycling sponsorships and it's image?

Bruce K
06-18-2008, 09:30 AM
With Garmin signing with Slipstream-Chipoltle and Columbia Sportswear signing on with High Road, are we finally getting past the bad doping press and PR issues that had come to be associated with pro cycling over the last few years or is this companies showing they support green activities rather than say motorsports?

I wonder if this will translate into TV advertising dollars/sponsorship of TdF coverage as well as other major cycling events returning to our small screens.

BK

M.Sommers
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
"Needle in and the damage done" said Neil Young. The next flat tire for cycling, it's public perception and financial sponorship is always a needle away. These are some of Fixed's favorite songs atmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT8ZZSRdmzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBj7J3CyII

johnnymossville
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Just imagine if pro football started testing in earnest. Would people even care? I quit listening to Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN radio because they give the impression that people just don't. They may have a point.

Funny how cycling has always been at the forefront of the doping issue. They actually do something about it, and get lambasted for it, through the media and financially.

M.Sommers
06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Just imagine if pro football started testing in earnest. Would people even care? I quit listening to Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN radio because they give the impression that people just don't. They may have a point.

Funny how cycling has always been at the forefront of the doping issue. They actually do something about it, and get lambasted for it, through the media and financially.

bro i would pay outta pocket to have the nfl test for roids and hgh cause those cats are some of the juiciest and dumbest athletes going bro.

johnnymossville
06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
bro i would pay outta pocket to have the nfl test for roids and hgh cause those cats are some of the juiciest and dumbest athletes going bro.

I hear the nfl actually tried running a drug test on a player once.

The machine doing the testing had a roid rage, busted the lab up and shot a guy.

TriJim
06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
While US sponsorships are looking up, I'm not sure the same is true here in Europe - Germany in particular. Gerolsteiner is still looking for a sponsor and several of the smaller races were canceled this year due to lack of sponsors. I read that QuickStep planned to feature Boonen in an advertising campaign but now he has been banned from TdF. Funny to drive on the autobahn and see 18-wheelers with an advertisement showing Bettini and Boonen resting on matresses. It will be interesting to see how the teams shake-out after July. :beer:

Michael Maddox
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I hear the nfl actually tried running a drug test on a player once.

The machine doing the testing had a roid rage, busted the lab up and shot a guy.

This is one of the funniest things ever written, ever.