PDA

View Full Version : Do you seek out bike shops when you travel?

H1449-6
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
If so, do you get a souvenir and if so what do you typically look for?

I usually try to hit a shop in each new city and get something small like a water bottle or a pair of socks.

Sometimes, if there's a really cool shop jersey I'll get one of those.

Anyone else?

1happygirl
06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Fer sure, all of the above. I do love checkin' out out of town shops and stuff.
Can't wait to rob my piggy bank for a travel bike in the future.

rePhil
06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Same here. I used to travel a lot. One of the first things I did after settling in was grab the yellow pages. Sometimes I would read about one of those legendary shops and make it a priority.Seems like there are fewer of those around these days.
My last visit to S.F besides the usual water bottles I scored some Campy bar end plugs and a vest (which are hard to buy locally in Fla)

Fixed
06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
jazz clubs and bike shops i like t shirts
cheers

csm
06-18-2008, 07:06 AM
yes I do. I like to get a jersey if it is shop-related or t-shirts. water bottles are fun too.

Karl Lee
06-18-2008, 07:13 AM
I do it all the time. last week I was in Chicago for a business trip and brought my bike along. When I was riding back to my Oak Park hotel from Chicago (interesting ride btw, lots of cool neighborhoods) and passed by "Lick Bikes", I had to stop in. I'd ordered a few things from them in the past so just wanted to check their shop out. I was shocked, there was nothing there, they are primarily an internet shop with 2 women frantically entering in orders on the computer at the counter. They had a few bikes built up but not what I expected the place to be like. I saw a Waterford in the window and asked about it but they said "not for sale, buddy". Didn't even have a business card! Bike shops are intruiging, never what I expect usually! Fun nonetheless. My previous trip to Chicago last June I had almost the same experience with Chicagoland Bikes.

h5gcarb0n
06-18-2008, 07:53 AM
i went with my parents to new Mexico in November and went to a couple bike shops like Fat Tire Bike witch was one of he best shops i have been to and had some of the nicest people we talked to them and they still gave us info even tho we told the we were out of state and could not get some thing for like 7 months. :hello:

flickwet
06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
finding a cool BS is an underlying mission on all my out of town jaunts, whether for work or play. and some have been little awesome shops way outta da way. Little town of Orville, Ohio. Down a side street, past an edge of town residential area there it was, like an old house and quanset hut, I wasn't expecting much, WOW high end bike shop nirvana. Bought some bottles, power bar and tools and tape. Always buy something if the shop is cool.

bigbill
06-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I always enjoyed being sent to San Diego. Two years ago I lived in an extended stay hotel two blocks from High Tech Bikes. They had drool-worthy bikes hanging everywhere in the shop. They also had clearance tables with some really sweet stuff. The prices were pretty much what you see on line if not cheaper. I really thought hard about those carbon chainrings.

Traveling in Europe was a big letdown. The only cool shop I saw was in Granada, Spain. It had dozens of steel frames hanging from the rafters since they were currently out of style.

dauwhe
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Hardly ever. I used to stop by bike shops, but most of them are boring to me.

There are a few exceptions. I'd love to visit Rivendell and Jitensha. I had a very nice visit at Velo-Orange the last time I was in Maryland--I hope to go again next month. And I always enjoy stopping by Harris Cyclery in Newton, MA (Sheldon Brown's shop, may he rest in peace).

Dave

johnnymossville
06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Now I pick up Harley T-Shirts at HD Dealers. My sentimental favorite is the one I got in Singapore. I feel sorry for the guys and gals that ride bicycles and Harleys there, (traffic/heat/lack of open road) but they still manage it seems.

TimD
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Most of my travel is for business; going to an LBS is a nice way to take my mind off of work & being away from home. My most recent stop was at Richardson Bike Mart, probably the largest (in terms of square footage) bike shop in the US.
They have a considerable amount of Lance memorabilia there (not why I went, but cool anyway).

1happygirl
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey I forgot I used to love to travel before liking bikes and would collect Hard Rock tees, but finally got too many and too much junk. Looking for other souvenirs, esp. with bikes.
Anymore suggestions other than tees or water bottles?

PS like someones Chicago experience, I'm surprised at the lack of customer service in all industries. Most of the time I go into a store with 100 people standing around staring at u comin' in the door.

JanG
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Visited this shop in Bucheon, S. Korea in February.
Unfortunately, there was nothing here that was souvenir-worthy.

xlbs
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I look for stores everywhere I go. I just got back from a 10 day Habitat for Humanity junket in Costa Rica. There were wee bicycle stores in almost every little community we went through. In one place, Buenos Aires (yes, that's in Costa Rica) where there are about 10,000 people, I counted at least 4 stores, all selling inexpensive mountain bike frames and individual components. These were 20 to 300 square foot "holes in the wall" but the proprietors were making every effort to make their businesses presentable.

Tough way to make a living in a poor society. All I saw were smiles!!

There were bicycles everywhere there, doing battle with some very interesting traffic...great trip, interesting place.

Ian

Ti Designs
06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
No.

I work in a bike shop, I look forward to my days off and I can't afford to travel. Hell, I don't even like bikes!

rsl
06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I love to visit the "legendary" shops like one of the above posters said.

I've had the good fortune to visit Jitensha Studio in Berkeley twice, and recently had coffee and a large chocolate chip cookie at One on One bike shop in Minneapolis. Both are incredible shops.

Jitensha is austere and beautiful in it's own way, while One on One has a small cafe up front with a large assortment of older bikes to look at, with a great mechanic space in the back. Nice selection of Nitto parts in stock, and they seemed to have almost the entire Surly line in stock, of which I'm a fan.

I'm in Lexington KY right now, and happened upon Peddle Pushers (or something like that) just earlier today. Friendly guys, but not a lot to look at.

I guess I do look for souvenirs. I've got a Jitensha Studio t shirt and a jersey and bottle from Missoula bike works in Missoula MT, and I do look for shop-related cycling caps.

I'd love to see Vecchios in Boulder, but I haven't been in Colorado since I was a kid. Someday maybe...

H1449-6
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
If I ever owned a bike shop I'd want it to have a coffee shop/hangout atmosphere, similar to One on One as described above. Not sure that's a viable business model, though.

rsl
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
If I ever owned a bike shop I'd want it to have a coffee shop/hangout atmosphere, similar to One on One as described above. Not sure that's a viable business model, though.

Yeah, I've wondered about this too.

When I was in One on One, there were about 3 or 4 people eating up front, and about 3 or 4 more people in the shop/mechanic area in the back.
I don't know how long that shop's been open, but it seems to be working for them, because I'd guess the shop's been open for some time.

From all the surlys crusing around Minneapolis, I would think they've sold their fair share of steamrollers!

I just remembered that I swung through Moab UT on a college road trip (I didn't have time to stay or my mtn bike with me unfortunatley) and stopped in to Chile Pepper bike shop. It seemed pretty cool and I bought a couple of pint glasses; another good shop souvenir. They had an espresso bar, and there were a few folks in there drinking espresso while escaping the heat of the day. Seemed pretty enjoyable to me!

Lifelover
06-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't always actively seek them out,but if I see one that looks cool I'll stop and get a water bottle.

michael white
06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't care that much about bike shops in the US. Overseas, I do find it very interesting and enjoyable to pop into many of the bike shops I happen to walk past. I feel I learn something about life there that I can understand and appreciate when I look at what they're selling and what sorts of things they value. Also that's where I get souvenirs for myself.

Kane
06-19-2008, 01:47 AM
-S.F. = BIKENUT & CITY CYCLE are within a block of each other in the 'Marina' district (Union and Steiner). 10.5 lb road bikes (bring your wallet!).
-Marin = BICYCLE ODYSSEY in Sausilito. Tony has more dream frames than you have fingers and toes.
& SUNSHINE or FAIRFAX Cyclery in Fairfax. Mountain biking hub of Marin.
-Berkeley = Wrench Science internet dream bike store (road, mtn or poser fixed gear bike)
-Oakland = Robinson Wheel Works. Smart and interesting

hybridbellbaske
06-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Guilty as charged, Your Honour.

In New York I sought out Toga and Conrad's, and in London Condor- all great places.

pbbob
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
going to london and belgium this fall. plan to stop at a little shop outside brussels. owner is some guy named eddy who I hear used to race a little bit.

victoryfactory
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
when traveling is to ask about the best local routes.
Also most good road shops have group rides on the weekends that
you can join (if you wish)
Several shops I've visited even have the best local rides printed out.
A great way to enhance your experience of an unfamiliar place if you
travel with your bike.

VF

mikki
06-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Always. Love to see how the various shops all have their own personality. I am a clothes horse, both on and off the bike, so am on the prowl for cool stuff wherever I visit.

H1449-6
06-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Guilty as charged, Your Honour.

In New York I sought out Toga and Conrad's, and in London Condor- all great places.

I visited Condor a couple of years ago. Great little shop.