PDA

View Full Version : Delightfull Ride With Dekonick and Dan L.

Sandy
10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Dan L. and I went to Howard County in MD to ride with Dekonick today. I even got to meet his wonderful mixed breed dog.

We rode about 39 miles in rolling terrain and several 2 mile hills. The views were beautiful and the terrain, trust me, offers challenging rides for any level of rider. Somehow, Demon Dekonick took Dapper Dan and Serotta Sandy to roads at which we were given the choice as to whether we wanted to climb them or not. I voted a reounding NO on several of them, at which time we took the alternate which always seemed to be a 1 1/2 to 2 mile climb that certainly challenged me, and even made Dapper Dan do some work.

I had turned down, rather vehemently, climbing a hill that the Demon said was 18 degrees. It looked like 80 to me. We looped around and went down the hill that I refused to climb. Prior to the start of the steep descent, my mind snapped, as it often does on a ride at which some road looks inviting for speed, and I took off, somehow hitting 35 mph right before the start of the steep drop. At the very beginning of the hill I barely missed a large pot hole which would have changed my name to Smashed Scarred Sandy. I immediately started mumbling to myself that no one with any degree of sense would ever go down that hill at 50 mph, which the Demon says he does. I started braking and looking for pot holes that would launch me and my bike into oblivion. The steeper the hill got, the more I applied my brakes. I was transformed into Scared (better than Scarred) Serotta Sandy. Dapper and Demon hit somewhere around 48 mph or so, but I was still Shaking Scared Serotta Sandy, glad to have reached the bottom in one piece.

Other than the scare at the start of the big descent, the ride was really most enjoyable. The weather was ideal, and the compant was as good as it gets. We plan to do a ride again together next week, but Dapper Dan and Serotta Sandy will probably insist upon a cue sheet to eliminate certain hills prior to the ride.

A most enjoyable ride with 2 very enjoyable cyclists and a visit with a special dog.

Still So Scared Still So Shaken,

Sandy

Dekonick
10-06-2004, 07:36 PM
It was a great day to ride - and fantastic company.

What a day! A little cool for my tastes (I love 100+ degree days) but the sky was blue, few clouds visible, mostly nice motorists (one true prick in the mix thouugh...never seems to fail - Sandy was mumbling something about $%^#% Kevin....)

One note I thought I would pass along...Sandy was suggesting we do hill repeats on the 18% hill. I turned away as there is no way I will do that hill more than once a month, much to a disapointed Dan and Sandy.

I dont know how Dan and Sandy manage to do it but on a 40 mile ride with climbs they only drank 2 water bottles! I sucked down 4, a large gatorade, and then (as I began to bonk on the last hill of the day) a coke.

Thanks for a memorable ride! Lets do it again soon. All are welcome to join!

zap
10-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Illchester by any chance :D

93legendti
10-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds cool. Michael, how's that ITM/Serotta stem I sold you working out for you?

weisan
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
What a day! A little cool for my tastes (I love 100+ degree days) ...

I am glad to hear that there are other human species out there like myself who enjoy hot days more than cold days. Most people here at Austin who had to contend with the Texas heat think I am abnormal. I remember one time walking into a bike shop after riding a century at about 102 degree heat, the customers in the shop turned around and gave me some crazy look. It took me about 30 seconds before I realize what they were looking at....the long-sleeve jersey I was wearing at that time. :D
That was almost two years ago, I don't do that anymore. But I still prefer warm days to cold days.

weisan

Sandy
10-07-2004, 12:13 PM
If Illchester refers to the name of the hill, I think that is it, since I remember that the name sounded like that. There were a couple of driveways that I don't think Zap could climb, even with Zip pushing Zap.

No doubt in my mind that Zap would be Zapped by the time he climbed up Illchester.

Sandy

Sandy
10-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I just figured out how Illchester got its name:

The last sounds made by the first unlucky cyclist trying to climb the hill:

I am feeling very ILL.
I am having pains in my CHEST.
ER .....(room please)

He was buried by the side of the road, bike and all.

So Sad Sandy

Dekonick
10-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Yup - Illchester. Its a nasty little hill.

Legend - the stem is great! My shoulders feel relaxed after long saddle times with the shorter stem. I know Jerk would not approve, but my back does!

Astute observation Sandy.

zap
10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Last time I did Illchester was on the tandem w/Mrs Zap. Two other tandem teams did it with us as well. I've got to admit a triple would have been nice.

But anyways, Ellicott City is a great place to do hill intervals.

Dekonick-congrats on getting Sandy out.

Sandy
10-07-2004, 01:46 PM
A motor would have been nicer.

Zip and Zap are better than Sandy anytime, any place, any hill.

IF I ever lose 30 pounds or so and focus on improving, I am going to give you and Mrs. Zap a run for the money on the flats, and maybe, up the hills. Forget the downhills and a tandem.

Dreaming in Cycling La La Land,

Sandman