PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shops In Santa Fe

1happygirl
06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Will be going on vacation in the santa fe/albu area (most all the time in santa fe) for just a few days (think yoga & flying Migs).

Can you fellow forumites recommend any good bike shops in the area?Have never been to Santa Fe, Albu area. Should be fun!

Thanks !!!!!

1 Happy Girl

can we go now?
ready for vacation.

Mud
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
is in Santa Fe

Alchemy Bicycle Works
Jeremy & Sarah Parfitt
jparamax@yahoo.com
720 Rosita Street
Santa Fe NM 87505
505.984.0758 Fax

paczki
06-17-2008, 12:35 PM
(think yoga & flying Migs)

Que?!?!?

06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
... (think yoga & flying Migs) ...

1Happy must be a ringer. She already knows Jeremy is the US distributor for Tune hubs.

abqhudson
06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Friendly/honest people - great service - Cycle Cave in Albuquerque.

abqhudson
06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I almost forgot: There is a new bike shop - Bikeworks in Albuquerque - that is the Serotta Dealer. I don't know much about them.

jwb96
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I visited Santa Fe the last few years as my step-daughter was in college and didn't find much at all. Then I read that, despite the grand location, biking wasn't all that great because of the drivers who preferred to not share the road. So, it turned it to be a bust. Go rafting.

Smiley
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
+ 1000 on Jeremy and Alchemy, please check on my fixee wheels when you visit.

cadence90
06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
+ 1001 on Alchemy. JP is a straight shooter.

Bill Bove
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I sat in the cockpit of a Mig once. The pilot defected to a base I was stationed at in *******. Lot's of freaking out being done by lot's of people as an unannounced Ruskie aircraft approached a *********armed base. I was among the first to reach the thing on the pad, we climbed on it and took pictures. Boy did we ever get reamed for that! And lost our cameras. Later on, before it was disassembled and shipped back to the states I heard that all the fighter pilots lined up and took a piss on it.

happycampyer
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I can also recommend Fat Tire Cycles in Albuquerque. Really nice folks, and a crazy selection of bikes. Ask for Stevie.

P.S. If you don't live at altitude, don't forget that Albuquerque is about a mile high, and some of the climbs can get up to 8K - 10K feet.

jbrainin
06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been visiting Santa Fe now for almost two weeks. There is a very good local store here on Old Santa Fe Trail called Mellow Velo. They're all very friendly and very competent. http://mellowvelo.com/ for info.

paczki
06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I sat in the cockpit of a Mig once. The pilot defected to a base I was stationed at in *******. Lot's of freaking out being done by lot's of people as an unannounced Ruskie aircraft approached a *********armed base. I was among the first to reach the thing on the pad, we climbed on it and took pictures. Boy did we ever get reamed for that! And lost our cameras. Later on, before it was disassembled and shipped back to the states I heard that all the fighter pilots lined up and took a piss on it.

The things you learn on this forum :banana:

maunahaole
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Go have a bite at the Owl Cafe in ALBQ. Old style Rt. 66 diner.

1happygirl
06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
THANKS everyone!!!!
This is the most awesome place for info. Don't know that I'll have a lot of free time with the two activities I have planned, but I love to go to the bike shops and check stuff out. I will definitely try out the eating places too. For me, part of the fun of travel is the eating out also.

I'll be glad when I can save up for a travel bike too.

See this is a bike related thread plus some

THANKS AGAIN

abqhudson
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
For eating out in Santa Fe:

Try "The Shed" for lunch just East of the Plaza. It's my wife's favorite place for lunch - in the world. Great New Mexican food.

brendonk
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I second the Shed. Been going there since '73. Go for a late lunch, around 1:30 or 2:00, take your time eating and just enjoy being in such a great place. DO NOT forget the mocha cake for dessert. My parents travel to santa fe regularly and without fail i get a call from my father saying "guess where i am right now..." just to rub it in. i always know the call is coming but it still drives me nuts.

mwaldhopkins
06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I live just outside SF. Pretty much the best bike shop around with respect to selection is Bike and Sport: http://nmbikensport.com/

There's a restaurant across the street (Cordova) called Maria's which has awesome food and quite potent margaritas.