PDA

View Full Version : Spoke calculation question

damanbici
06-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I am building a wheel using a velocity O/C off center rim with an erd of 598mm and a Campagnolo Record rear hub. This hub lists the left side diameter [from spoke hole to spoke hole] as 44mm and the right side as 46mm. the hub flange distance has two measurements with the left side as 35.16 and the right side as 15.2 [I think this is imagining a center of the hub from fork axle to fork axle. the total hub flange to hub flange distance is 40.36. the spoke hole size is 2.4mm.
I am not sure how to measure the spoke length for both sides. I am assuming the spoke length is different for the drive side and non drive side. Do I take into account the offset rim? How do I calculate the spoke length?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Louis
06-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html) knows all.

gdw
06-16-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

tuco
06-16-2008, 11:34 PM
the link to spocalc will get you most of the way. i don't think sheldon discussed how to take campy's hub specs and get them into spocalc. you have to take the campy specs and make sure they include the flange width. for the rear hub in your example, this is probably = 35.16 + 3.2/2. heck, the hub is listed! i think? oops. the numbers appear to be rounded to a single decimal.

instructions for guess-timating the length adjustments for offset are on the same page as the Spocalc discussion. it's not that hard.

regularguy412
06-17-2008, 07:49 AM
If you know the exact hub or rim dimensions, it's pretty easy to download the full-strength SpokeCalc and add a line to the database.

Alternatively, you can just plug the hub/rim dimensions directly into SpokeCalc on the main calculation page. Just take care to put the front hub (left and right dimensions) and rear hub (left and right dimensions) in the correct boxes.

Mike in AR:beer:

tbushnel
06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I coulldn't tell from the OP whether you were measuring yourself of not, but I wouldn't rely on printed/posted information for hub dimensions or especially rim ERD.
I believe the only adjustment in calculation needed for an OC rim is to add the offset distance to the drive-side flange offset and subtract it from the ND FO (terms might not be exactly correct here). Maybe not important if the spoke calculator does this for you.
Cheers,
ted.

michael white
06-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Have you tried the DT online calculator? I've used it many times. . .