PDA

View Full Version : Name that doo-hickey

jwb96
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Okay, I need the technical name for that thing on a cross bike that holds and routes the front brake cable. It slips on like a headset spacer. And are there some with more drop than others? I need to play around with either flipping my stem or getting one with a different rise, and I don't have much room to play with because of that rigid cable-guide elbow thingy.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. ;)

Thanks,
Jim

fmbp
06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
cable hanger

David Kirk
06-16-2008, 05:56 PM
"Bob"?

dave

girlie
06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Michelle.
:)

OtayBW
06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
"Bob"?

dave
I thought he said 'doo-hickey', not 'thing-a-ma-Bob'...

cadence90
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Okay, I need the technical name for that thing on a cross bike that holds and routes the front brake cable. It slips on like a headset spacer. And are there some with more drop than others? I need to play around with either flipping my stem or getting one with a different rise, and I don't have much room to play with because of that rigid cable-guide elbow thingy.

I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. ;)

Thanks,
Jim
It's not "doo-hickey".

It's either Dave Hickey (fixed-gear moderator on RBR) or David Hickey (the excellent art critic).

I doubt Dave Hickey can help, because I believe he only rides road fixed.

David Hickey wrote "Air Guitar", which is neither here nor there except that it's a great book, but I hear rumors the working title for the sequel is "Cable Hanger", which could provide some real insight.

I have read this far, you can disregard everything written above. :)

http://www.interlocracing.com/cablehanger.html

http://www.interlocracing.com/lowehanger_top34.JPG
Long Drop Cable Hanger
Nothing revolutionary here unless you are a CX racer or mechanic. Just a cable hanger that hangs lower and therefore allows for easier cable routing for cross bikes. An idea given to us by the mechanic on the Rad Racing team. It offers about 1.5" of drop and adds only 3/8" of stack height. CNC'd aircraft-grade aluminum. Black or Ti-silver. Fits 1-1/8" fork steerers only.

TMB
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
It's not "doo-hickey".

It's either Dave Hickey (fixed-gear moderator on RBR) or David Hickey (the excellent art critic).

I doubt Dave Hickey can help, because I believe he only rides road fixed.

David Hickey wrote "Air Guitar", which is neither here nor there except that it's a great book, but I hear rumors the working title for the sequel is "Cable Hanger", which could provide some real insight.

I have read this far, you can disregard everything written above. :)

Well, shows how behind you are! He recently bought a Panasonic Touring Bike, travel bike, with GEARS!!!!!

Most unlike him.

cadence90
06-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Well, shows how behind you are! He recently bought a Panasonic Touring Bike, travel bike, with GEARS!!!!!

Most unlike him.
Aaaah, I get it: trying to stay ahead of the youngsters.

I bet that thing will be on RBR classifieds within 6 weeks.

But you're right: I'm pretty much behind on everything....

TMB
06-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Not a hope, Panasonic is his new "thing"

It's got racks, the frame come apart for packing, fenders, leather bar tape, pretty darn nice for such a little bike!!

TMB
06-16-2008, 09:46 PM

And since you prolly don't believe me

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=133462&highlight=panasonic

cadence90
06-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Not a hope, Panasonic is his new "thing"

It's got racks, the frame come apart for packing, fenders, leather bar tape, pretty darn nice for such a little bike!!
Actually it's great he's branching out.

Doesn't he have a beautiful fixed Moyer, or just that other Texas builder (can't recall his name)?

TMB
06-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Actually it's great he's branching out.

Doesn't he have a beautiful fixed Moyer, or just that other Texas builder (can't recall his name)?

It's the other builder - Cheakas (?) - Southwest Frameworks

Gorgeous bike.