PDA

View Full Version : specialized vs cannondale

shotojs78
06-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, my local bike shop sells cannondale and specialized, they told me that both are very good..... I've tried six 13 team edition 2006 (brand new) Si crank and dura ace vs a SPECIALIZED TARMAC EXPERT 2006 brand new on ultegra (both have approximately the same price )

and I've tried system six team Si 1 2007 (all dura ace except the shifter (ultegra)..... vs 2007 Specialized S-works Tarmac SL dura ace (tarmac is 300$ more expensive but it's not a big deal for me )

I'm looking for a very good bike, not for racing, just training and long ride.. climbing etc.... I dont know which one to choose... I've just tried the bikes in the LBS yard unfortunately.... If you can tell me your idea on that....

than k you

Fixed
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
if you can't get a used serotta and it is between those 2 cannondale imho
cheers

michael white
06-15-2008, 08:46 PM
If you're looking for a good deal on a sporty bike (and don't want to spring for a Serotta), I would recommend asking for a CAAD9 with Ultegra or 105; this is all the bike anyone really needs.

vaxn8r
06-15-2008, 09:07 PM
My shop sells both. CDale.

shotojs78
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
If you're looking for a good deal on a sporty bike (and don't want to spring for a Serotta), I would recommend asking for a CAAD9 with Ultegra or 105; this is all the bike anyone really needs.

why caad9, it'S an aluminium frame.. vs specialized carbon or mixed alu-carbon... the caad is not really confortable I think...

Z3c
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
IMHO, if you are not racing I would look to the carbon bike as it is more likely to be comfortable on longer rides. Specialized has done a lot over the last few model years to make the Tarmac models a nice blend of fast and comfortable.
For whatever reason, there are not many Specialized fans here; I think they have a great product line that offers a lot of bikes to meet a wide variety of needs.
That said, I think the Cervelo RS might be in the same general price range and would trump either of the choices you mentioned in my mind.

Just an opinion..

Scott

Ti Designs
06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Get the Trek :rolleyes:

feta99
06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I've ridden the Six-13 for a week in Hawaii and it was very nice. Couldn't really tell the difference between that and my Lynskey. I guess I don't deserve a nice bike. ;)

johnnymossville
06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
myself for racing. I have an old cannondale frame I might want to try and trade in. If they still do that.

I never rode a specialized, dunno anything about them other than what I see out there at the races. They look nice.

alancw3
06-16-2008, 06:37 AM
i have had a 2006 c'dale six13 team w/ si crank for two years now and have put about 7000 miles on it. i couldn't be more pleased. i don't think you could go wrong with one.

michael white
06-16-2008, 08:10 AM
why caad9, it'S an aluminium frame.. vs specialized carbon or mixed alu-carbon... the caad is not really confortable I think...

the material doesn't matter so much any more . . . some of the new aluminum bikes have a great ride.

best,
mw

Chris
06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
the material doesn't matter so much any more . . . some of the new aluminum bikes have a great ride.

best,
mw

I have ridden a ton of race bikes. The CAAD8 and 9 were two of my favorites. They are hands down some of the nicest off the shelf bikes available, and you make no concessions in ride quality in my opinion. My System6 was much less agreeable to ride. I think Cannondale topped out with the CAAD9 and they are just keeping up with the market going to carbon.

HSG Racer
06-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Another vote for Cannondale!

They are great frames and the System Six is mostly carbon which will come in handy during those longer rides. The Tarmac is a fine bike and the DA is certainly tempting. But around here, it seems like everyone has a specialized. It's how Trek was a few years ago with everyone having an OCLV. Nothing wrong with that but I would rather have a less common bike.

Some have mentioned a CAAD8 or CAAD9 and these are certainly great bikes. But, my experience has been that they are not very comfortable for longer rides. For rides under 50 miles they are fine but you really start to feel it after that. I would also look at the Cannondale Synapse. It's a beautiful all carbon bike with a slightly more upright position for those longer rides. System Six is the racier of the two but the Synapse is also very adequate for racing as well a being a tad more comfortable on longer rides.

vaxn8r
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Another vote for Cannondale!

They are great frames and the System Six is mostly carbon which will come in handy during those longer rides. The Tarmac is a fine bike and the DA is certainly tempting. But around here, it seems like everyone has a specialized. It's how Trek was a few years ago with everyone having an OCLV. Nothing wrong with that but I would rather have a less common bike.

Some have mentioned a CAAD8 or CAAD9 and these are certainly great bikes. But, my experience has been that they are not very comfortable for longer rides. For rides under 50 miles they are fine but you really start to feel it after that. I would also look at the Cannondale Synapse. It's a beautiful all carbon bike with a slightly more upright position for those longer rides. System Six is the racier of the two but the Synapse is also very adequate for racing as well a being a tad more comfortable on longer rides.
That's not my experience. I had a CAAD7 on which I did many Centuries+. I never once thought, "gee I'm getting beat up." Canondales haven't been uncomfortable to ride in like 10+ years atmo.

I'd still like to get Centaur's take on the Super Six. That bike looks intrigueing. It's a race bike while the Synapse, technically is not. I have one locally in my size I can try but haven't been able to do it lately.

Fixed
06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
That's not my experience. I had a CAAD7 on which I did many Centuries+. I never once thought, "gee I'm getting beat up." Canondales haven't been uncomfortable to ride in like 10+ years atmo.

I'd still like to get Centaur's take on the Super Six. That bike looks intrigueing. It's a race bike while the Synapse, technically is not. I have one locally in my size I can try but haven't been able to do it lately.

i have a caad 7 and it rides great i would ride it anywhere
hint don't put 130 psi in your tires imho
cheers

bigdeal
06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
get the specialized.

fierte_poser
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
IMHO, if you are not racing I would look to the carbon bike as it is more likely to be comfortable on longer rides. Specialized has done a lot over the last few model years to make the Tarmac models a nice blend of fast and comfortable.
For whatever reason, there are not many Specialized fans here; I think they have a great product line that offers a lot of bikes to meet a wide variety of needs.
That said, I think the Cervelo RS might be in the same general price range and would trump either of the choices you mentioned in my mind.

Just an opinion..

Scott

I can't stand the Zertz. :crap:

Big Daddy
06-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I can't stand the Zertz. :crap:

the look? the ride? the taste?

The SL does not have Zertz.

Tornado Tom liked them back in April.

michael white
06-16-2008, 12:27 PM
well ok, based on what I know, have owned and ridden, I think they're both terrific companies which have a lot to offer, esp. when price matters--and so I would ride a few and just pick which speaks to you without worrying about what others say.

Personally I like C'dale aluminum for the stated purpose.

M.Sommers
06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I vote for the Cannonball. It has/had a nice American-made pedigree.

:beer:

Dino
06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
+1 for the C-Dale.

jasond
06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd try to take them for a further test ride. I bought a new bike in Feb and at the time I didn't know if I wanted Ti or Carbone and I was dead set on buying a Litespeed or Felt but taking a Serotta out for a good size test ride changed my mind. I just felt at home on the bike.

Just my two cents.

Jay

fierte_poser
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
the look? the ride? the taste?

The SL does not have Zertz.

Tornado Tom liked them back in April.

At the risk of being lumped in with 'them', it offends my sensibilities. :D

deluxerider
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
get whatever fits the best and appeals to you the most. i personally prefer specialized for no other reason than they fit me pretty well and i like their look and quality. but, i've owned cannondale and i would consider another the next time i'm in the market. atmo.

majorpat
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Gotta go with the aluminum CAAD frames, ebay usually has a bunch and the new ones are fine too. As of two years ago they did the frame trade in for 20% off a new complete bike, that is a pretty sweet deal, in my book (IMB)

Big Daddy
06-16-2008, 01:17 PM
the OP never asked the question from Z3c...

what type of riding are you using it for? this to me would make a difference. (not much, but subtle enough) to matter.

racing? more crits or rr?
endurance riding? type of roads? climbing?
want to look cool? hey, to some it matters just to be seen on the "right" bike.

shotojs78
06-16-2008, 02:34 PM
the OP never asked the question from Z3c...

what type of riding are you using it for? this to me would make a difference. (not much, but subtle enough) to matter.

racing? more crits or rr?
endurance riding? type of roads? climbing?
want to look cool? hey, to some it matters just to be seen on the "right" bike.

yes.. not for racing.. personal training.. good bike, good look.... climbing..

mike p
06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
First off any bike shop should let you take the bikes for a real ride. My guy will let me take out bikes for the weekend. I'm racing a caad 9 this year and it's a great bike. It's also quite comfy even on longer races. That said if I were you and not racing I'd buy some nice steel bike. 90% of my miles are put on 2 older steel frames.

Mike

HSG Racer
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Well that's great that the CAAD7 doesn't beat you up on long rides but it's all relative. I also have a CAAD7, a blue one and it's a wonderful bike. I've done the same long distance routes on both my CAAD7 and my Moots and I feel so much better on Ti after the 50 mile point when compared to my CAAD7. The poster isn't even considering a CAAD. As much as I like my CAAD7, I could not in all honestly recommend it for centuries or long rides.

As for the Synapse, it is used for stage racing and it was used for a few stage races at last years TDF by Liquigas. It's as much of a race bike as any other bike out there.

Big Daddy
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Well that's great that the CAAD7 doesn't beat you up on long rides but it's all relative. I also have a CAAD7, a blue one and it's a wonderful bike. I've done the same long distance routes on both my CAAD7 and my Moots and I feel so much better on Ti after the 50 mile point when compared to my CAAD7. The poster isn't even considering a CAAD. As much as I like my CAAD7, I could not in all honestly recommend it for centuries or long rides.

As for the Synapse, it is used for stage racing and it was used for a few stage races at last years TDF by Liquigas. It's as much of a race bike as any other bike out there.

then add the Roubaix to the list to test ride, then also go back and look at the R3 if available. Not knocking Alu, and cannondale.

shotojs78
06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I'M not sure yet, I saw a caad9 full record and ksyrium es... very low mileage, the guy must sell... just 1400$ or six 13 2006 dura ace (3000 miles) 1500$$

I dont know which one..

rnhood
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
If your choice is between these two only, then go with the Six13. It probably rides better for longer distances and, it has the advantage of Dura-Ace components. Of course an actual test ride would still be recommended before buying either one.

1centaur
06-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Dude, I wrote that review in the Gallery when you asked for it!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=554801&postcount=13

vaxn8r
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Centaur, I missed that write up.

To HSG, it's not that a Synapse can't be raced. It's got a slightly taller HT and tuned for a more comfy ride. I doubt racers would choose it for that sprint or tucking in the fast pace lines. It is a great bike from what I felt riding it and from friends who ride them a lot. The truth is, it should be the bike for 99% of us who rarely or no longer race. Or at least race only for prize money and not for our incomes. I like cf and ti but I never felt the CAAD7 too harsh, obviously you felt differently. If it were me choosing between any CDale or the Specialized, I'd probably end up with the Super Six for all around performance or maybe a System 6 for it's in-your-face aggressive look and that it would be a great tool in the quiver. The beauty of the choice is all may be ridden in stock sizes and he'll know exactly what he's getting into after a few test rides back to back.

shotojs78
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
If your choice is between these two only, then go with the Six13. It probably rides better for longer distances and, it has the advantage of Dura-Ace components. Of course an actual test ride would still be recommended before buying either one.

you prefer dura ace than the record??

sevencyclist
06-17-2008, 01:27 AM
you prefer dura ace than the record??
That's a loaded question on this forum.

I agree with putting Specialized Roubaix into the mix. If you are not racing and looking for comfort, I personally rode the Specialized bikes and thought Roubaix is more comfort oriented due to more heads up position. Tarmac and S works are more racy. Overall, Cannondale are probably stiffer, racier, but less comfortable for the long haul.

The older bikes are no worse than the new ones and can be had for a better deal. So don't worry too much about model years. Bike companies tend to come up with gimmicks to sell bikes but offer no huge advances from year to year.

Good luck with your choices.