PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 705 compatible powertal sl 2.4

djg21
06-15-2008, 08:29 PM
According to VeloNews, at http://www.velonews.com/article/7754...ible-powertaps

American manufacturer Saris will soon be selling wireless PowerTap power meter wheels that work with Garmin 705 GPS units.
. . . .

After a 2006 release of a wireless PowerTap rear wheel hub system that worked exclusively its PowerTap handlebar/stem-mounted computer, Saris is branching out to a dual broadcasting system that also works with the Garmin 705. With the 705, Garmin offered the ability to display power (in addition to speed, altitude, GPS, etc.), but no accompanying power-measuring unit.
. . . .
Four wireless, Garmin-compatible units will be available this fall, ranging from the $999 PowerTap Elite+ that features a steel axle and freehub body to the $2,099 PowerTap SLC+ that features a 15mm-wide axle and ceramic bearings. Other models include the $1,999 Pro+, which has an aluminum shell and weighs 475 grams (hub only) and the $1,599 SL+, which features a carbon shell and the wider 15mm axle and weighs 416 grams.

If Saris does not make a reasonabalay priced upgrade path available for those of us who purchased the SL 2.4, I will be really unhappy. Before I purchase the powertap, I contacted Saris specifically to inquire about compatability, and was told that:

It's something that we are aware of and that we are working on. At this time our wireless technology is still on a proprietary network, as it has been for 3 years. But, we firmly believe change is for the better and in line with the innovative style of our company. In addition, we listen to and respect our customer's opinions. Therefore, we are working hard to provide a compatibility solution for the ANT+Sport network but are, as of yet, unsure what form this will take or when it might happen. (emphasis added).

bigdeal
06-16-2008, 10:20 AM
that's technology, it changes over night. do you think the people who shelled out close to a grand for an HD-DVD player are upset that's it's in the grave just a few months later? you bet. then again, that's technology.

Also, I think you're reading too much into Saris' response. Basically they said, we'll try but we can't guarantee anything. Period.