PDA

View Full Version : Podiatrists en la casa? My left foot/pedal stroke/pending buinon surgery

M.Sommers
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Description: My right knee has endured four knee operations, so my left leg is my go-to, it does the lion's share of the work. About five years ago, I fractured my left great toe (the big piggy).

Fast forward: I have pain in my left foot, on the top, midway down and the left toe aches sharply. My left gastrocnemius (calf) used to be significantly larger/stronger than my right leg, now the lower left leg is smaller is smaller and weaker than the right leg, even my soleus is smaller on the left. I noticed this yesterday during my ride report photos. My left tibialis anterior/dorsi flexors are very weak too, in fact they do nothing. All of this has resulted in a left foot that wants to always be in a toe-down position.

Today: I rode, consciously making an effort to keep the left toes up. Amazing difference as the left hamstrings were now engaging, doing work, the left calf was involved and the left leg became a real stroke instead of simply pushing down-pushing down as it has for the past few years. In fact, I've been desperate to re-gain power and I've put putting my saddle further down every season!

I need my left great toe to have either an Ortho who specializes in feet (or a Podiatrist who is good with the knife) to fix my left foot. I have a tailor's bunion on the left foot too. Anyone have their foot operated on? I am trying to hold off on this until October, when there's nothing better to do than be Luke Skywalker for the 33rd time in a row, on Halloween.

:beer:

Dekonick
06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
ever think about custom shoes?

M.Sommers
06-15-2008, 07:09 PM
ever think about custom shoes?

My foot is fubar. In fact it's an eleven. :crap:

TMB
06-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think custom shoes as much as a custom orthotic is what's called for.

After years of being healthy as a horse I seem to be falling apart remarkeably quickly.

One of my favourite has always been walking - nothing is too far away to walk to.

Suddenly I find that my feet tire and begin to ache, quickly. Feet of course transmit all the way up the legs and intot he back - leading to a quick and early fatigue.

I am not used to this and it is frustrating me and I too have decided that a visit to a foot doc is called for - like our forum mate - I am trying to delay, for two reasons;

1) I just generally hate going to the doctor

2) In case they tell me I have to do something like get off the bike for a while - better I get that news before winter then before summer.

Strangley, the one place my feet feel constantly comfy and I don't get the foot pain is in a pair of cycling shoes. Good enough excuse I guess to ride more.

Go for orthotics.

Dekonick
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Seriously - orthotics are a partial answer. There is more to your foot than the sole -

I know it is expensive, but I can honestly say my feet are much happier in custom cycling shoes. For me, it was an expense I was 'forced' to do - I had lasic surgery and it cost alot less than I had set aside in my flex plan (a plan at work that lets you put tax free $$ aside for medical expenses. It is a use it or lose it deal, so my left over $$ had to be used or my FRN's were gone. Fortunately, orthotics and custom footwear count as medical expenses - especially as my feet are 'flat')

I used the left over $$ to buy 2 pair of D2 shoes. My feet are MUCH more comfortable - even after hours in the saddle on mountain bike pedals (I commit sin - I use Time ATAC's on my bikes - for shame! No more LOOKS, I don't need a flat spot for my foot as the shoe is stiff enough to solve hot spot issues! - great footwear!)

Consider them - it is a fantastic excuse to go to Vail or Aspen (so you can get properly fit - I used the fit kit, and it worked, but I had to send the shoes back a few times to get them just right)

Lead time? Yup.

Expensive? Yup.

Worth it? YUP!

even if you are a slow arse bike rider such as myself...the shoes are fantastic.

:D

M.Sommers
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I will get some orthotics and custom shoes this Winter, but this Fall I have to get the foot fixed. My left great toe has moved inward, about 5* or more (it wants to move under the other toes). I used to have great feet, but the left foot is cooked. The size of the bunion on the left toe is severe (the bump is the actual joint of the toe being forced out). The atrophy of the lower limb is a result of the left foot's inabilty to function.

Ozz
06-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Could be worse...I saw a guy cruising along with only a left leg today....he looked fit and was moving pretty good uphill.

Cool stuff...

pbbob
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I only know about taylor bunions. Mine were removed while in the army
In 1981 the army way was marcaine, then hammer and chisel and filed smooth with a flat bastard file.
there are more advanced sophisticated techniques now one would think. recovery is short and quick.
good luck

Dekonick
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey - good to see you pasting again! Hope the nursing home hasn't taken all from ya....

:)

Dekonick
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Could be worse...I saw a guy cruising along with only a left leg today....he looked fit and was moving pretty good uphill.

Cool stuff...

Dan LeFoot seems to get around just fine!

Fixed
06-16-2008, 10:49 AM
i don't anything about this but I hope you feel better i know how much you love riding ..I think you like swimming maybe when you are mending you could swim to keep your fitness up
cheers
butch

M.Sommers
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
i don't anything about this but I hope you feel better i know how much you love riding ..I think you like swimming maybe when you are mending you could swim to keep your fitness up
cheers
butch

el butcho i promise to join the local Y just before the surgery so i can keep my cardio. my legs will always come back, they were made in ireland so you can't kill them. i ride every day and if i don't bro i get cranky.

Your_Friend!
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
M_Sommers!

I Wish You

A Very Speedy_Recovery!

I Hope That It Does Not

Make You Too_Sad!

Love,
Y_F!

ciclisto
06-16-2008, 11:41 PM
A podiatrist here, seems to me you need to be worked up with a good biomechanical exam. determine the problem/s then perhaps try a conservative
approach with a proper custom orthotic , a real one , not the arch supports pretending to be an orthotic. If you have surgery you should be getting orthotics anyway, so why not try them first. You can always have the surgery. you can't take it back. hope this helps you.

trashycat
06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
I am a Certified Pedorthist specializing in helping people who have foot related problems, through the use of orthotics, shoe advice, and shoe modification.

I am also a competetive cyclist, and I too, have a bunionette that's getting worse. I would suggest finding a C.Ped. in your area or going to a shoe repair shop and having them stretch a pocket in your shoe to accomodate the joint protuberance. The tool we use is called a 'Ball and Ring stretcher'. I have to do this to my shoes too.

As far as your dorsiflexors, I would recommend using therabands to strengthen them. You tie the theraband around a heavy piece of furniture...sit in a chair and wrap the loop of it around your foot. Start with your foot pointed and flex it up against the resistance of the band.
There are other exercises you can do too.