PDA

View Full Version : Juicing

alancw3
06-15-2008, 02:12 PM
hey i was wondering if any of my fellow forumites is into juicing. i have an interest in the nutritional value of juicing and am going to buy a juicer and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation? i was thinking of a jack lalanne power juicer pro all stainless steel.

norman neville
06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
i like it best when it comes in a little cardboard box with a straw, so i can't help with your question.

michael white
06-15-2008, 02:30 PM
i like it best when it comes in a little cardboard box with a straw, so i can't help with your question.

milk with cookies, juice with crackers. all you need to know.

capybaras
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Get a blender. Put a bag of Trader Joe's fancy berries in there. Add as much water as needed to get it liquid enough to blend (less when it is hot, more when not). Way better and less messy than a juicer. :banana:

3cb
06-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Vita-mix is the easiest to use/clean. It's great for smoothies (berries, soft fruits, soy milk based drinks, juices with ice or frozen berries). Green Machine is what I use for veggies, including leafy greens, or "savoury drinks" with garlic or spinach (etc). It even juices wheat grass (yuckky taste on its own).

jhcakilmer
06-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Vita-mix is the easiest to use/clean. It's great for smoothies (berries, soft fruits, soy milk based drinks, juices with ice or frozen berries). Green Machine is what I use for veggies, including leafy greens, or "savoury drinks" with garlic or spinach (etc). It even juices wheat grass (yuckky taste on its own).

+1 for the Vita-mix.....we use it all the time....smoothies, soups, grinding grain, etc.

Green Life extractor for juicing......since getting the vita-mix we don't use this as much, but great for all types of veggie juices......this unit is kind of like a cold press, which is good since you can make excess juice and store it. Some of the other machines actually heat up the juice (high rpm machines.....ie, champion juicer) and supposedly decreases the nutritional content.

false_Aest
06-15-2008, 06:12 PM
A few years ago my sister gave me her Juicer (she got it as a wedding gift, used it twice and then stored it for a few years).

Like her, I used it twice, stored it and gave it away.

Why?

Juicing is way cost prohibitive--at the time I found it equally expensive to juice with non-organic oranges as to buy organic Whole Foods juice in a bottle.

That said, the taste of fresh juice is effin' fantastic---I just happened to be a student and couldn't justify that expense.

----

Incidentally if you're talking about the other type of juicing go check out Bigger Stronger Faster (http://www.biggerstrongerfastermovie.com/)

girlie
06-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Ok I thought this was going to be a completely different thread.
I think..........I'm relieved.
Though it's much funnier if you read it with my twist.

kipjac
06-15-2008, 09:17 PM
hey i was wondering if any of my fellow forumites is into juicing. i have an interest in the nutritional value of juicing and am going to buy a juicer and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation? i was thinking of a jack lalanne power juicer pro all stainless steel.

Geez, when you said 'juicing' I immediately thought, uh, you know, like, performance enhancement

alancw3
06-16-2008, 06:25 AM
thanks for the suggestions. i'll look at the vita-mix and green machine models. i have been reading up on nutrition and saw a show on juicing and it just seems to make alot of sense. i eat alot of salads but the juice option could be a viable alternative. i did have some concern about the cleanup of the machine after each use. good point about the heat of the motor though!

CarbonCycles
06-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Ok I thought this was going to be a completely different thread.
I think..........I'm relieved.
Though it's much funnier if you read it with my twist.

We seem to be on the same wavelength...I was about to suggest some popcorn, diet coke and wait for the amusement to begin

dnades
06-16-2008, 07:55 AM
We use the Champion Juicer. I haven't noticed that it heats up my juice. Very simple and easy to clean. Design has been around forever. It has four parts to take apart and clean. I think we paid about 250 for it. We seem to only juice in the spring/summer. The rest of the time it sits in a cupboard.

Acotts
06-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I like to get mine online from a Vetrinary Depot based in Mexico.

1happygirl
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone used the jack lalane juicer? i was looking at it, but afraid it might sit in the closet with my other useless appliances.

mikki
06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
+1 for the Vita-mix.....we use it all the time....smoothies, soups, grinding grain, etc.

Green Life extractor for juicing......since getting the vita-mix we don't use this as much, but great for all types of veggie juices......this unit is kind of like a cold press, which is good since you can make excess juice and store it. Some of the other machines actually heat up the juice (high rpm machines.....ie, champion juicer) and supposedly decreases the nutritional content.

Have a Green Life juicer also and I agree 100% with the heat nixing a great deal of the nutrional value you are aiming for. This one makes yummy, fresh, nutrionally dense juices. We also grow our own sprouts and put some of those in the juice.

stackie
06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Buy it... from Costco. Take home. Juice with abandon for two weeks. Get tired of cleaning it. Take it back on next trip to Costco. There. You've done it. You've juiced and decided it's not worth it. Go on with life.

At least that's our story.

On the other hand, we use the heck out of our little hand me down citrus juicer. In less than 5 minutes, I can juice a few lemons, add some Grey Goose and Grand Marnier, a TBSP of sugar in one ounce of water, and serve over ice. Throw parts in dishwasher since I don't really care about a hand me down juicer. This I can handle

Jon

Ray
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I had a juicer for a few years quite a while ago, maybe 15 years back. You have to be careful with those things. I put too much garlic in my carrot/celery juice one night after working out. I sweated that stuff out for about 20 minutes and sent my wife and kids literally RUNNING out of the house. You also have to clean out the pulp right away and thoroughly. Its amazing how many forms of mold will grow in carrot pulp and it don't take long. I forgot to clean it out right after juicing a couple of times and found some amazing life forms mutating down there the next morning.

I eventually found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I still love carrot juice and usually have a couple of bottles of organic juice in the fridge. It's not cheap, but by the time you buy, clean, chop, juice, drink, and clean up all of those fruits and veggies, buying it is more than worth it.

-Ray

SoCalSteve
06-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Buy it... from Costco. Take home. Juice with abandon for two weeks. Get tired of cleaning it. Take it back on next trip to Costco. There. You've done it. You've juiced and decided it's not worth it. Go on with life.

At least that's our story.

On the other hand, we use the heck out of our little hand me down citrus juicer. In less than 5 minutes, I can juice a few lemons, add some Grey Goose and Grand Marnier, a TBSP of sugar in one ounce of water, and serve over ice. Throw parts in dishwasher since I don't really care about a hand me down juicer. This I can handle

Jon

See, thats the kind of juicing we should be talking about...

Just sayin'

Steve

cadence231
06-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I have been juicing for a year now. I find it an indespensible part of my training and health.
I have a Green Star (http://www.greenstar.com/maximize.asp).

Dancin' frikin' banana!