PDA

View Full Version : Boston to Portland Maine?

paczki
06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Anyone done this? I know now that Amtrak actually has bike cars on the Portland route it seems a little nutty, but my mother lives on Plum Island, I have a friend on Portland so it has built in rest stops. My main question is once I get into main should I just ride on 1, 9, 1A? Is it horrible?

Thanks!

Bruce K
06-15-2008, 10:01 AM
The ride from Newburyport up through NH and into southern Maine is a pretty "standard" route with a fair number of cyclists visible on the road.

Portions of 1A and 1B, etc. make it pretty much a straight shot.

I have ridden as far North as a bit above Cape Neddick (stop and check out the lighthouse). and it is a fairly flat, fast run.

I would think the rest of the way would be similar.

BK

paczki
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought. The two sections that worry me are Boston to Wenham/Essex, and the 35 miles south of Portland or so. The former is likely to be ugly and confusing, but not too bad. The latter I just don't know.

39cross
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
...The two sections that worry me are Boston to Wenham/Essex...Solution for travelling to/from Boston: the train. You can board in Wenham or for more frequent service out of downtown Beverly. From the T website:

Commuter Rail

* Bikes are allowed anytime except during weekday rush hours (morning inbound and evening outbound), which are shaded on the Commuter Rail schedules. Bikes are permitted all day on weekends.
* Please follow the conductor's instructions when entering or exiting the train.
* If the train is crowded so that a bike would present an obstacle to other passengers, the cyclist must wait for a less crowded train, pursuant to the discretion and instructions of conductors.
* In a train emergency, stow your bike as far away from the aisle as possible.
* Bicycles are not allowed on New Year's Eve and July 4th between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. inbound or after 4 p.m. outbound.

Bruce K
06-15-2008, 12:34 PM
You might try talking with TiDesigns.

I think he's made that ride from the Boston area north.

39cross' idea of commuter rail out of Boston is also good as well.

BK

jwb96
06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I've never gone directly from Boston to Portland, but have ridden in and out of both in separate rides and know it's pretty do-able. It does depend slightly if you're looking for a short or scenic route. You might want to go through newenglandclassic.org (Tour de Cure) and see if you can dig up some routes. Skip going into Durham, but otherwise the day 1 & 2 routes mix up both main and scenic roads. Rt 1 is okay to a point, but you can hop off in Kennebunkport and do the Shore Rd, which is much nicer.

Then if the Montreal-Portland AIDS ride maps are available anywhere, and are like the original route, that will get you from Wells to Portland without going on major roads. I would not take Rt 1 through Saco, Scarborough, and Portland necessarily. If you get to Kittery, take Rt 103 out to Rt 1, then skip over to Rt 9. There are side road alternatives here too, but I have no idea of names. Then head back to the coast on 207/77 and head through Cape Elizabeth to avoid traffic and Rt 1.

Of course, Rt 1 will make it a lot shorter.

Jim

paczki
06-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks! That's most helpful :banana: :banana: :banana:

johnnymossville
06-15-2008, 10:15 PM
the whole way, twice, it's not that bad and there aren't any real hills. I'd do it again.