PDA

View Full Version : OT Tiger Woods Saturday Performance

keno
06-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Win, lose or draw today, trophy day, Woods's performance yesterday was nonpareil. He is the very best embodiment of all characteristics necessary to be the gold standard in any sport on the planet. What we saw can't be passed off as the effects of a syringe.

If Lee Trevine could "shoot" scores in the 70s with a Coke bottle and support himself at the time, Tiger Woods could probably shoot in the 60s with the flatware we used to eat dinner last night.

keno

Climb01742
06-15-2008, 06:23 AM
true. amazing. he's capable of making non-golfers watch golf. i loved his smile after jarring the one-bounce shot. he's willis reed with a golf club.

guess i know what i'll be watching tonight...celtics...tiger...celtics...tiger...

Ray
06-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Damn. I'm only a moderate golf fan and my wife hates it. So when I flipped over the Open just in time to see Tiger make his poor tee shot on 13 and catch a glimpse of the leader board with him several shots out, I figured, OK, nothing to see here, move along. So, we flipped over to a rerun of Oceans 11. After seeing Keno's post, I just went and watched the highlights. Good God Man. That guy, once again, is amazing. I really really blew it. I'll be pulling for him today, for sure.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
06-15-2008, 06:50 AM
If Eddy played golf, he'd be Tiger.

barry1021
06-15-2008, 08:49 AM
If Eddy played golf, he'd be Tiger.

+1, great analogy.

b21

handsomerob
06-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Win, lose or draw today, trophy day, Woods's performance yesterday was nonpareil. He is the very best embodiment of all characteristics necessary to be the gold standard in any sport on the planet. What we saw can't be passed off as the effects of a syringe.

If Lee Trevine could "shoot" scores in the 70s with a Coke bottle and support himself at the time, Tiger Woods could probably shoot in the 60s with the flatware we used to eat dinner last night.

keno

It was very apparent that he is in a class by himself. I am pretty sure the 3 highlight reel strokes on the back nine were well worth the price of admission for the 4 days.

97CSI
06-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Indeed was quite the show. Just like his move on Friday, only more so. Was great fun to listen to Johnny whatshisname, the TV announcer/analyst, almost jump out of his seat stating that Tiger was aimming too far to the left with the putt that went in for eagle on 18. Tiger may be Eddy, Lance, GL (without the bad-mouth for others or lawsuits), etc., all wrapped into one when it comes to golf. Hope his knee holds up for this win and many more. Definitely want him to by-pass Jack's records (Jack is too much like GL).

Len J
06-15-2008, 10:30 AM
true. amazing. he's capable of making non-golfers watch golf. i loved his smile after jarring the one-bounce shot. he's willis reed with a golf club.

guess i know what i'll be watching tonight...celtics...tiger...celtics...tiger...

He is one for a generation.

I've been in and around golf since I started caddying at 13 YO. My Dad was a golf nut. I've caddied in the US Open, I've played many of the top 100 courses in the US. I have never seen anyone do the things he does.

For non-golfers, let me explain something about the US Open. Unlike every other tournament, were the courses are set up to produce low scores and high entertainment, the USGA sets up a US Open course to "Protect Par"....that means they make it dramatically harder than any other tournament. They narrow the fairways, they grow the rough they shave the banks of water hazards close to greens. It becomes a battle of not just physical talent but mental fortitude. If you watch, you can see when a golfer collapses mentally...it's that obvious. An 18 handicap golfer playing pure golf on that course yesterday, would be lucky to shoot 130...it is set up that difficult.

Yesterday, Tiger battled his swing, a very painful knee that had arthroscopic surgery 6 weeks ago (He had not walked 18 holes before Thursday) the wind and an incredibly difficult golf course....and went 5 under in 6 holes to take the lead.

He is the real deal........the merging of incredible physical talent with a very high work ethic coupled with amazing mental tenacity.........During my 53 years, I think there have been less than 3 or 4 athletes, in any endeavor that have raised the level of the entire sport just by being the best they could be......Tiger may be the best of all of them.

Yesterday was history..........people will be talking about his career when your grandchildren are our age.

What a gift to watch that.

len

Erik.Lazdins
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I had chills watching this yesterday - I never watch that much TV but I was riveted.

To anyone who wasn't a Tiger fan yesterday - I'm sure many have changed their minds.

LenJ's post nailed it!

dave thompson
06-15-2008, 12:36 PM
My wife and I were eating dinner at a restaurant last night that had the Open on a TV. When Tiger one-hopped that shot from the rough for birdie on the 17th, the eating stopped, mouths opened and in one case food fell out. No noise for a few seconds, then the Holy cr*aps!, Did you see that? My Gods! started and continued until the replays ended and the rest of the game went on. From then on all eyes were on the television until the end of the game.

I'm not the biggest golf fan but it sure is fun watching the best play their best.

cadence90
06-15-2008, 01:21 PM
It becomes a battle of not just physical talent but mental fortitude. If you watch, you can see when a golfer collapses mentally...it's that obvious. len

I.E. Phil Mickelson's typical meltdowm at hole #13. Phil is good, but a collapser. Or Mediate's meltdown.
Tiger is truly amazing, and obstacles (knee, Westwood, etc.) simply cause him to burn brighter.

I wish he played golf (which actually doesn't really turn me on); and with the Lakers against the Skelptics; and with Italy in Euro 2008....

Guarantees....

Jeff N.
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I rode by Torrey Pines this morning, on my coastal ride. What a mob! Thousands of folks just trying to get a glimpse of Tiger. Jeff N.

mnoble485
06-15-2008, 03:22 PM
My wife who has no interest in any type of sports on TV was watching Tiger until it went off last night. Her first question this morning after saying happy Fathers Day was "What time does Tiger tee off?"
Being one with bad knees it hurts to watch.
Mike

97CSI
06-16-2008, 06:49 AM
As Rocco stated when Tiger hit the last shot of regulation play on Sunday, "I knew he would make it. He always makes them." Good luck to both of them today. Would not be a surprise to see Tiger win by 5.