PDA

View Full Version : Senator Kerry on a Serotta?

false_Aest
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey,

http://theclimb.blogs.nytimes.com/

Is that a Serotta?
----

Answered my own question. Googled it.... I'm surprised he doesn't ride a Seven or an IF.

rwsaunders
06-14-2008, 04:09 PM
You bet your Heinz catsup it is.

Smiley
06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
IF and Seven tried to GIVE him a bike and he would not accept them, something to do with being a gift. Ask Ti Designs cause I think he has several Serotta's that I know of all bought from Belmont Wheel Works he loves his bikes too, methinks.

hansolo758
06-14-2008, 04:11 PM
His stem is too short. :) ;)

Fixed
06-14-2008, 04:12 PM
he looks fit imho
cheers

paczki
06-14-2008, 04:32 PM
At Hub on Boston they said Steve P beat him like a redheaded stepchild up the one hard hill.

Climb01742
06-14-2008, 04:38 PM
it's an ottrott he bought at wheelworks. it's big. and very very orange.

Bruce K
06-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I wonder what ever happened to the custom painted, red, white, and blue, "John Kerry for President" Serotta that someone had built and gave to him? :rolleyes:

BK

Bill Bove
06-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Bruce, it's hidden in the back of a closet, next to the cheap gas we were supposed to get for invading Iraq :no:

Yep Bruce, still a dem :D

Waz up? Haven't heard from you in a while. Mike and I ordered up us a couple of Z4's. Waiting for Tom @ Parlee to approve our dealer app. Shoulda put you and Pooch down for reference's eh?

Talk at ya soon, GO CELTS!!!!

Bruce K
06-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I thought the judge down there threw the book at you and you were now playing house with some big dude named Bubba. ;)

How did that one really turn out?

A Parlee dealer, huh? Nice product line you're developing down there.

I'm hoping that we'll be hosting a parade early next week but I'm not counting LA out that easily.

I'll check in with you towards the end of the week.

BK

Bill Bove
06-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Guilty on all counts with no recourse to appeal but no matter, I was ticketed again. this time for impeding no traffic when I refused to ride as instructed by the officer on an unmarked, unmaintained, substanderd shoulder. He insisted that the Florida statute that I just happened to have in my pocket did apply to me. This time I'm bringing not only one but two real live lawyers, an expert witness and a stack of 8x10 glossy photographs with arrows and circles drawn them and a paragraph written on the back as well as several innocent bystanders who were witness' to my alleged crime. Power To The People!

In the imortal words of that great Mass statesman "Moses Malone eats ship" And as David Brudnoy would say if he were still with us "Keltics Rule" dude!

I think I saw Whitey Bulger in a Starbucks in Boca yesterday...

Bruce K
06-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Bill Bove, Cycling Activist.

I bet you look cute in those orange suits, but how do you pedal in leg irons? :rolleyes:

Did it ever occur to you that every PD along A1A has your picutre posted in their cruisers? Or maybe it's just "Get the dude in the mangenta kit!"

Everybody say it with me:

"FREE BILL BOVE! FREE BILL BOVE!"

:banana: :banana: :banana:

BK

Keith A
06-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey Bill. I'm sorry to hear about you legal troubles.

I just went and looked up the law that you were ticketed for and see that they have made a change to the wording. It used to state that you had to ride as close to the shoulder as possible, but they have changed this to the following:

Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations.

I used to carry a copy of this with me since the time a deputy sheriff pull me and two friends over and forced us to ride in shoulder similar to the one you describe. I wanted to stay and argue with the officer as I knew the law and wanted to defend my rights, but my pals were more interested in finishing the ride and getting to work.

Anyway, the new wording forces us onto the shoulder unless there is something in your way including road hazards. Most people would think this is an insignificant change -- but for cyclists, this is a big deal.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Edit: Sorry about the thread drift :)

Ti Designs
06-15-2008, 09:18 AM
John has a couple of Serottas, we see the orange one the most. The red, white and blue one says "Bring it on", but I've not seen that bike since the election. He does ride, the stem isn't as short as it looks in that picture (the long lens compresses the image), he was fitted by Thom Norton who is now a Serotta rep, and one of the faster guys you'll ever meet on a bike. As for IF and Seven trying to get in on the action, while John was front runner in the election there were a number of calls from both companies trying to get him to switch.

Had John won the election, Wheel works would have become Bike Shop One (his plane is Air Force One, his car is Transport One, his bike shop would be Bike Shop One, and when he does charity rides the port-o-potty he used would be Bathroom One). In some ways I'm glad this didn't happen. The secret service guys have no sense of humor. You know how some people claim Serium SL wheels are "bomb proof"? You can't say things like that in the same building as the prez...

hansolo758
06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
His stem is too short. :) ;)

[QUOTE=the stem isn't as short as it looks in that picture ...[/QUOTE]

I was just kidding, as I tried to show with the emoticons. I'm sure Senator Kerry can drop me on a ride and his stem is probably longer than mine.

Smiley
06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Bruce, Kerry bought all his bikes not one was given to him, although TiDesigns wishes somebody would give him a Serotta :)

Ti Designs
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Bruce, Kerry bought all his bikes not one was given to him, although TiDesigns wishes somebody would give him a Serotta :)

What would I do with a second one???

Bruce K
06-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Smiley,

I'm pretty sure that holsds true for all his Serottas except the "campaign bike" and the replacement for the one he crashed in Concord, MA.

I thought I remember being told that it was a gift and that I heard that from someone at Serotta.

If I'm wrong, sorry.

BK

maddog17
06-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Guilty on all counts with no recourse to appeal but no matter, I was ticketed again. this time for impeding no traffic when I refused to ride as instructed by the officer on an unmarked, unmaintained, substanderd shoulder. He insisted that the Florida statute that I just happened to have in my pocket did apply to me. This time I'm bringing not only one but two real live lawyers, an expert witness and a stack of 8x10 glossy photographs with arrows and circles drawn them and a paragraph written on the back as well as several innocent bystanders who were witness' to my alleged crime. Power To The People!

In the imortal words of that great Mass statesman "Moses Malone eats ship" And as David Brudnoy would say if he were still with us "Keltics Rule" dude!

I think I saw Whitey Bulger in a Starbucks in Boca yesterday...

LOL!!!! are you bringing any implements of dee-struction with you too!!

Smiley
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Smiley,

I'm pretty sure that holsds true for all his Serottas except the "campaign bike" and the replacement for the one he crashed in Concord, MA.

I thought I remember being told that it was a gift and that I heard that from someone at Serotta.

If I'm wrong, sorry.

BK
I was told that at the time when he was running he did not accept gifts like these , no worries but that was what I knew. Smiley

Bill Bove
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
You are correct sir, how ever the roadway part is where we are hanging our argument. the shoulder is not considered as being part of the roadway. We have consulted with several "experts" regarding this and are going to court to get a precedent set. The last time, because traffic court is heard by a magistrate and not a judge there can be no precedent we could do nothing but pay the fine, this time we are bringing a court stenographer with us and almost hoping to lose so that we can appeal and have the case go before a judge.

In the meantime I have been eating a lot of hardboiled eggs and working on my communication skills.

Ti Designs
06-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that holds true for all his Serottas except the "campaign bike" and the replacement for the one he crashed in Concord, MA.

Hmmm, two bikes that don't exist.

Bruce K
06-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Gee Ed, there were pictures of the Red, White, and Blue bike on this forum and other places, and Ben and I talked about that bike at one of the Sunflower Revolution rides.

He crashed a bike in Concord Center (I thought it was the Ottrott). The story in the Globe said there was some frame damage so I assumed it got replaced under the Craash Protection plan as he had a new bike in time to do that year's PMC.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just having a senior moment....

BK

M.Sommers
06-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm running in 2020 and I roll on a Serotta already.

:beer:

R2D2
06-16-2008, 04:11 AM
You are correct sir, how ever the roadway part is where we are hanging our argument. the shoulder is not considered as being part of the roadway. We have consulted with several "experts" regarding this and are going to court to get a precedent set. The last time, because traffic court is heard by a magistrate and not a judge there can be no precedent we could do nothing but pay the fine, this time we are bringing a court stenographer with us and almost hoping to lose so that we can appeal and have the case go before a judge.

In the meantime I have been eating a lot of hardboiled eggs and working on my communication skills.

I bet you can eat fifty eggs.
Go get that precedent!!!!

Shakin' the bush Boss.................

soulspinner
06-16-2008, 04:51 AM
John has a couple of Serottas, we see the orange one the most. The red, white and blue one says "Bring it on", but I've not seen that bike since the election. He does ride, the stem isn't as short as it looks in that picture (the long lens compresses the image), he was fitted by Thom Norton who is now a Serotta rep, and one of the faster guys you'll ever meet on a bike. As for IF and Seven trying to get in on the action, while John was front runner in the election there were a number of calls from both companies trying to get him to switch.

Had John won the election, Wheel works would have become Bike Shop One (his plane is Air Force One, his car is Transport One, his bike shop would be Bike Shop One, and when he does charity rides the port-o-potty he used would be Bathroom One). In some ways I'm glad this didn't happen. The secret service guys have no sense of humor. You know how some people claim Serium SL wheels are "bomb proof"? You can't say things like that in the same building as the prez...

:p

Keith A
06-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Bill -- Please do let us know how this case turns out.