PDA

View Full Version : Summer Riding

M.Sommers
06-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I sense a disturbance in The Force. It seems when the temps creep above 85*, many cyclists don't ride. The wintertime cabin blues can take place during the summer too. Keep riding! In fact I ride more as the temps soar. My joints feel better, the body loves the sweating and cooling off with a cold shower/swim/beer is the stuff.

Ride early am or evening, but ride! Drink lots of water before the ride, during and after. I'm off for 30 miles (I mostly ride during the peak temps as I love it0. Ride! That means you Sandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yon2YuXssvo

:beer:

malcolm
06-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I do the hotter n hell hundred every year. Last year not to bad, year before the course closed early and the average temp on my buddy's computer was 127 although the actual ambient was only low hundreds.

M.Sommers
06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I do the hotter n hell hundred every year. Last year not to bad, year before the course closed early and the average temp on my buddy's computer was 127 although the actual ambient was only low hundreds.

I've heard of this ride. Sounds like I need some Tobasco and some SPF50!

Good on ya.

malcolm
06-14-2008, 01:53 PM
http://www.hh100.org/

Come and do it this year. We even have an extra hotel room you are welcome to use.

M.Sommers
06-14-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.hh100.org/

Come and do it this year. We even have an extra hotel room you are welcome to use.

Thank you! I am totally intrigued about doing this ride...late August is good timing. Stay tuned and thank you Sir.

whitecda
06-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I b!tch either way, but I'm way more likely to be out in the heat than the cold. I hate being cold.

malcolm
06-14-2008, 02:08 PM
If you are really interested it is a great ride. 12,000 riders and great rest stops it is more like a rolling function/party/get together although many are out to hammer it. The homemade cookies at the Electra, Texas rest stop are worth the trip and my wife loves the grilled sausage dogs at about 50mi, I personally can't face sausage in 100+ heat after 50mi.. My favorite is the unofficial beer rest stop at about mile 90.

WadePatton
06-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I used to hang it up for the summer-here that's 90+ and it runs Jun-Sept, but I'm building up to it. Early, very early riding is my approach.

Then take a nap and watch Jaws. ;)

Fixed
06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
bro how about this i have not used the a.c. this summer i live in an old fla house with a lot of windows a couple of fans and a pool outside i feel great
ride and jumb in the pool listen to some early 60's jazz .. bliss
cheers :beer:

chuckroast
06-14-2008, 02:24 PM
The Planet Bike computer on my Serotta has a temperature screen and I love it when it goes over 100. There are only two digits available so the indicated temp goes to single digits and teens. It tends to pick up reflected road heat, not ambient air temp so I've seen an indicated 18*.

That said, I much prefer the heat. I ride after work during the week and there's a point of pride in being able to talk about it the next day.

M.Sommers
06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
bro how about this i have not used the a.c. this summer i live in an old fla house with a lot of windows a couple of fans and a pool outside i feel great

When I send you the Specialized, I'll include some Chet Baker.

Bill Bove
06-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I refuse to turn the AC on untill it hits 95 for three days in a row. I swear the cats at home hate me for being so cheap and secretly plot to crap in my cycling shoes this time of year.

Anybody who complains about the Florida heat in July should be forced to go to Minn. in Jan.

Lifelover
06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I have always enjoyed the heat but it seems as I get older and more settled into an 80% office job, I like it a little less.

However, I'll take 100 and humid over cold any day. Mornings and nights are the best time to ride.

WadePatton
06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I refuse to turn the AC on untill it hits 95 for three days in a row. I swear the cats at home hate me for being so cheap and secretly plot to crap in my cycling shoes this time of year.

Anybody who complains about the Florida heat in July should be forced to go to Minn. in Jan.

I only run a/c to sleep at night.

Anybody with a coastal breeze who complains about heat, should be removed from the coast. ;)

Ti Designs
06-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I sense a disturbance in The Force. It seems when the temps creep above 85*, many cyclists don't ride.

Wimps. It's too cold! It's too hot! The tour is on TV! How many bikes you got???

flickwet
06-15-2008, 10:02 AM
It dont bodda me! I don't look too pretty, I'ma sweatin oldie, but it feels great once your movin. And of coures its cool for me to casually mention to my outdoor exercise avoiding friends "yeah I did ____ miles today on the bike", Its good for my shallow ego. Its 11 o'clock time for my dads day ride see ya, have a great one everybody.

paczki
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Wimps. It's too cold! It's too hot! The tour is on TV! How many bikes you got???

Very funny!

97CSI
06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I b!tch either way, but I'm way more likely to be out in the heat than the cold. I hate being cold.Amen. Want to move to the south of France or Maui. But, as long as the grandkids are kids, we'll be in the part of the world where they reside. Could be worse, They could live further north.

CaptStash
06-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Just ride baby! Who cares about the weather was long as the street is dry (or close enough anyway!)

CaptStash....

TMB
06-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I love riding in the summer heat.

If it's hot enough then when I get home I stop long enough to get the shoes off, strip off the jersey and I'm into the pool in bibs,

It's heaven.

M.Sommers
06-16-2008, 12:46 AM
It was 82* without humidity this evening and it felt chilly.