PDA

View Full Version : saddle tilt live and learn

Fixed
06-14-2008, 11:52 AM
bro as i live i learn i hope ..well after thinking it was written in stone that a saddle had to be level ..I am finding that i like the front just tad higher on my saddles ..gee if i had listened to this old ex nat champ i used to ride with.. he told me that he liked his saddled like that ..i thought he must be looney ..well I am too now ..
keep an open mind ..
my saddles are turbo and rolls
cheers :beer:

dnades
06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I rode a friends bike who had his b17 tilted up slightly. Wayyyyy more comfy than mine which was level. I was worried about the pressure but no issues arose so up it goes. Keeps me in place better too.

pdxmech13
06-14-2008, 12:30 PM
keeps one from falling off the front :beer:

TAW
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I have to be careful that I tilt mine slightly up, or I get too much pressure on my hands from my weight being pushed forward. I guess that's why I like Thompson seatposts, they're easy to micro adjust.

Erik.Lazdins
06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I like my saddle with a very slight downward tilt - Aliante

Ahneida Ride
06-14-2008, 01:02 PM
One can Micro Micro adjust a Thompson ....

Gotta love that ....

Most B17's point up ...

dekindy
06-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I like my saddle with a very slight downward tilt - Aliante

Me, too.

M.Sommers
06-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Nose slightly up here. It helps my hips to set/sit in their position.

I'm having revelations about saddle height though, heck it's about 3cm higher than ever and I love it.

:beer:

mike p
06-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Flites, nose up ever so slightly.

Mike

victoryfactory
06-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the "level" saddle thing is just a generality.
What people fail to take into consideration is the individual
shape of any given saddle. Concave, convex, straight or
any combination of those things.

Do what feels good

VF

93legendti
06-14-2008, 05:35 PM
bro as i live i learn i hope ..well after thinking it was written in stone that a saddle had to be level ..I am finding that i like the front just tad higher on my saddles ..gee if i had listened to this old ex nat champ i used to ride with.. he told me that he liked his saddled like that ..i thought he must be looney ..well I am too now ..
keep an open mind ..

Did you do any damage?

1centaur
06-14-2008, 06:16 PM
While it seems written in stone to have a level saddle if you read forums, I noticed a lot of pros with a slightly up nose. Since I'm on a trainer five days a week and have a Thomson, it became an easy experiment, using a digital level, to find out what works. Nose up about 1 degree,across multiple saddles, works for me. I don't read stones anymore.

chuckroast
06-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I purchased my first Brooks B-17 this last winter and put it on my Serotta after reading about them so much here. I had it level at first and didn't understand what all the praise was about. I even felt like I was sliding off the front somehow. So I angled the nose up just a bit back in April and what a revelation. Now I get what everyone meant. Totally worth it.

Fixed
06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Did you do any damage?
no but i am not as tough as i use to be
cheers imho :beer:

Dekonick
06-14-2008, 07:48 PM
B-17's on all my rides, all of 'em pointed a bit up, and as far back on the rails as they will go. Happy nether region - no numbness here! :banana:

93legendti
06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
no but i am not as tough as i use to be
cheers imho :beer:
I always tell my kids: Don't get old". :)

Dekonick
06-15-2008, 07:18 AM
thats what I tell myself!

39cross
06-15-2008, 07:35 AM
For some reason this reminds me of the famous quote from old friend Wilkins Micawber (from Dicken's David Copperfield if unfamiliar):

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Just substitute cm's/mm's for pounds sterling/shillings etc. The boundary between comfort and misery is slim.

bironi
06-15-2008, 07:50 AM
keep an open mind ..

I had the same experience, and switched to the nose-up slightly a few years ago, and yes it definitely relieves the pressure on hands and shoulders. Rolls only for a few years now, but I did jump on a buddies bike with a well worn B-17, and found it very comfy.
Byron

Dave
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
The terms level, tilted up or tilited down are only relevant to saddles that are relatively flat from front to back. A lot of models have a number of curves from front to back, like the Fizik Gobi that I use. If you placed a level from tail to nose, on mine it would read tilted down considerably, but that's because the tail is kicked up quite a bit. The area where I sit, near the middle is not tilted down at all. I place a tordedo level on the tail, hold it level and set the nose about 1cm below the level. That produces a lowest spot somewhere in the middle. Use whatever angle it take to keep from sliding forward and prevent excessive pressure on vital parts.

93legendti
06-15-2008, 01:10 PM
...Use whatever angle it take to keep from sliding forward and preven excessive pressure on vital parts.

Great advice.

vaxn8r
06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
With Specialized saddles you point them slightly down. They showed that the blood flow, where you need it, was better.