PDA

View Full Version : Optical indicator for 10 speed drives

Smiley
06-14-2008, 02:27 AM
On my new tandem I need something to tell me what gear I am in, Got used to my old 9 speed bar ends for that on the old rig. Anybody have any ideas and don't say ask the stoker, she's tired of looking back there.

Ahneida Ride
06-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I'll sit back there .... You pedal.

I'll be your Optical Indicator.

How's that ....

Really ..... I'd like one too for Campy !!!!! ;)

SoCalSteve
06-14-2008, 10:37 AM
On my new tandem I need something to tell me what gear I am in, Got used to my old 9 speed bar ends for that on the old rig. Anybody have any ideas and don't say ask the stoker, she's tired of looking back there.

I am sure I am stating the obvious, but if you use Shimano brifters, the FlightDeck works really well for that feature and many others...

Good luck,

Steve

tbushnel
06-14-2008, 11:01 AM
but never used one.

http://www.bikeparts.com/productinfo/Dura-Ace-10-Speed-Inline-gear-indicator-rear-91687-56843.html

Maybe that would work.
ted.

TAW
06-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I am sure I am stating the obvious, but if you use Shimano brifters, the FlightDeck works really well for that feature and many others...

Good luck,

Steve

This may be too obvious as well, but the Shimano "in line" gear indicator that comes with the brifters would work as well. I never installed these until I put a Garmin on my bike and took the Flight Deck off. I missed the gear indicator until someone reminded me about those little in-line things. Not as nice as the Flight Deck, but still works. You probably already knew about that anyway. :)

dnades
06-14-2008, 12:19 PM
works but it is small and hard to see exactly what gear you are in. I am always looking at my cassette anyway. Does it matter? Either the pedaling gets too hard or too easy and you shift up or down.

Smiley
06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
but never used one.

http://www.bikeparts.com/productinfo/Dura-Ace-10-Speed-Inline-gear-indicator-rear-91687-56843.html

Maybe that would work.
ted.
Thats IT, thanks and thats why u Guys rock the forum, this will save me headaches with proper gear changes. Thanks

Ahneida Ride
06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Do they make one for Campy 10 ?

TAW
06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Thats IT, thanks and thats why u Guys rock the forum, this will save me headaches with proper gear changes. Thanks

Guess I should've checked the link before I posted, since this is what I was talking about. I'll send you one if you need one, I believe I have several laying around.

woolly
06-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Do they make one for Campy 10 ?

Kinda hard to read something like that when it's hidden under the bar tape, isn't it? ;)

Smiley
06-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Guess I should've checked the link before I posted, since this is what I was talking about. I'll send you one if you need one, I believe I have several laying around.
10 speed? If so let me know and I'll kindly drop you a check for your generousity. Thanks Smiley

thejen12
06-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't they come gratis with every set of levers? I know for the 9-speed ones, my LBS has a whole box of 'em because they usually don't install them.

Jenn

palincss
06-14-2008, 09:17 PM

How about upgrading to 10spd bar end shifters? Or, even better, 9 speed bar end shifters?

(Psst - about the Emperor's new clothes... )

TAW
06-14-2008, 09:35 PM
10 speed? If so let me know and I'll kindly drop you a check for your generousity. Thanks Smiley

Well, wouldn't you know I have two nine speed ones in my parts bin and it appears that I didn't save any 10 speed ones. I'm sorry about that, I was sure that I had one. But as Jenn said, your LBS will probably have one sitting around.

SoCalSteve
06-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Don't they come gratis with every set of levers? I know for the 9-speed ones, my LBS has a whole box of 'em because they usually don't install them.

Jenn

With the Dura Ace, yes. I always install them, dont know why I do as I NEVER look at them..Hmm, weird. Thats what the FlightDeck is for.

Steve