PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcyclists here?

H1449-6
06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I've noticed that those who like pedal-powered two wheelers sometimes like the motorized versions, too.

Any motorcyclists here? For my part, I've owned and ridden MCs most of my life since I was about 10, but just sold my BMW R1200C and am now looking for another bike.

fierte_poser
06-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I learned to ride in 2005. Starter bike was a 1998 Honda Nighthawk 750. Owned until 2007. Bought a 1999 Honda VFR800 with 22,000mi. Just getting broken in!

Not enough hours in the day during summer to fit in both motorcycling and bicycling.

What kind of motorcycle are you thinking of buying?

Kent

LegendRider
06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I've noticed that those who like pedal-powered two wheelers sometimes like the motorized versions, too.

Any motorcyclists here? For my part, I've owned and ridden MCs most of my life since I was about 10, but just sold my BMW R1200C and am now looking for another bike.

I'm shopping for one right now. I'm a novice, so probably a 650 cc. So far, here are some models that have been recommended to me:

- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki V Strom 650
- Kawasaki Versys
- Yamaha FZ6

Basically, I want a functional bike - not a sport bike, nor a cruiser/Harley type. I'd love to hear comments from experienced motorcyclists.

maunahaole
06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I have a '99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100. I commute on it most days. H1449-6, you should check one out if it is available - same ergos for a tall person and a usable powerband. They are no longer available new, but there are some very nice used ones (as well as some thrashed ones) available.

rwsaunders
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I was married for about 3 years (25 now) when I layed my Yamaha Virago down on a recently chipsealed country road. I managed to piece things together enough to ride home and my wife freaked out. Yes...I cracked my brain bucket too (Bell full face). The bike was repaired and sold about three weeks later.

I'd love to get another bike; there is so much to choose from these days; but Mrs. RW and I wouldn't make year 26 together. Is that a bad thing? :cool:

maunahaole
06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Legend - you won't go wrong with the SV650. That bike is more than the sum total of its parts - it will continue to be a highly competent bike long after you are become an experienced rider.

H1449-6
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm a bit of a BMW whore now. Silky smooth power delivery and bulletproof reliability, though expensive to maintain. Leaning toward a K1200RS which is now discontinued sport tourer (more sporty than tourer). One hundred thirty ponies. :eek:

H1449-6
06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Legend - you won't go wrong with the SV650. That bike is more than the sum total of its parts - it will continue to be a highly competent bike long after you are become an experienced rider.

That's a great little bike too. I had one a couple of years ago but wasn't tracking it, where it would be most comfortable. Around town and on the highway it was too small and light for me.

H1449-6
06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Tip for new riders: take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginning course. Just do it.

benb
06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
2001 Suzuki SV650.. put 15,000 miles on it
2003 Traded the SV650 for a Honda VFR800 - put 9000 on that in 2004
2004 Sold the VFR to focus on bicycle racing..
2004 Got a bad case of motorcycle withdrawl and bought another VFR..

Now.. 17,000miles on the VFR.. but not riding it a whole lot.

I debate selling it again.. but it doesn't cost anything for it to sit in the garage where I live in NH... I can deactivate all of the insurance except the comprehensive and let it sit at a very low insurance rate without having to take the plates back to the DMV..

I've got my one big race in July.. after that I will probably ride the motorcycle some.. but I only rode it ~1000 miles last year and I've rode it twice this year.

I also don't really want to get rid of it as if my living/working arrangement changes and it becomes the superior way to commute I sure will want it.

I also crashed it at NH international speedway last summer.. I fixed it 99% myself.. if I wanted to sell it and get my money's worth I'd have to put about ~$200 more into it to make it cosmetically perfect again. I have gone to the track at least once a year every year up till this year. But I trashed my leathers last year and rather then getting them repaired I tossed them this spring. (They were cheapies) I'll have to get another set of leathers before I can go back and a decent set is closer to $1000 and I seem to easily find other stuff to get instead of leathers. (I have a Dainese Cordura suit & a First gear mesh summer suit... the leathers basically never got used on the street.)

I'm basically in motor vehicle hibernation.. This may be the first year I bicycle more then I drive my car too.

Motorcycling can teach most cyclists a thing or two about bike handling IMO..

Cycling always gives you some goal to strive towards.. one of the big problems with motorcycling is other then traveling like crazy much of the skills development ends up being centered around driving really fast.. which quickly becomes pointlessly dangerous on the street.. so you either become a bit of a lawless jerk.. or you slow down, go to the track, and get bored of street riding.

I've taken the MSF classes twice.. about one of the only goal-oriented things left I can think of to do on a motorcycle is try to become an MSF instructor.. I'm sure it would be a huge challenge.

Otherwise.. I've been up and down the east cost.. it would be fun to ride cross country sometime.

Oh and motorcycle maintenance truly is zen-like. Fixing my bike last summer after I dumped it at the track was pretty darn fun actually. (60mph lowside.. had to replace all the right side controls, plastic, front fairing, etc.. ) Bicycle maintenance is mostly pretty boring in comparison once you learn it.

davidlee
06-13-2008, 03:43 PM
2000 Triumph Legend 900
1972 Norton Commando 750
1951 Vincent Comet

Stay with the bimmers!! I've owned a R60/2 and a couple of R75/5 and BMWs are the most dependable and more importantly the classiest looking bikes out there .
Also,
Some of the new Ducati Sport Classics are pretty retro and cool in my opinion. I've ridden the Gt1000 and the Sport 1000 monoposto and they are SWEET... Loads of torque and not too agressive of a riding stance.
The motor sounds great and it "sorta" looks vintage with a modern twist of you are into that .
david

johnnymossville
06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I've got an old Harley Sportster I absolutely love. In fact, my wife gets jealous of her. :p

dekindy
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I quit riding my bicycle and started riding motorcycles for several years. Bad decision. But I am back on the bicycle so that is the good news.

Kawasaki 750 cruiser, BMW R100RT Touring model, BMW K75, and last but not least a Suzuki SV650. I only owned one at a time but traded every year except for one. I realized when I was selling the K75 that I did not want to sell it. But the buyer was driving from 200+ miles so I went through with it. Purchased the Suzuki used within a week. Finally decided that I did not have anybody to ride with and quit for good. It was enjoyable and relaxing though.

But it is much better to be cycling and getting the exercise for my health and enjoying my riding companions.

rePhil
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I started off road. Yamaha 100, Elsinore 125 & 250. KX 250, Bultaco 250 Pursang,Maico 250.Finally a Husky 250WR (hows that for showing my age?)
Road was a Kawa 175 Enduro, RD400, CBR 600. While I no longer own any, and haven't in a while, I still ride my sons GSXR litre bike whenever I visit.

mosca
06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Not enough hours in the day during summer to fit in both motorcycling and bicycling.Too true! I've got a BMW R1200GS in the garage but it doesn't come out nearly enough. I am hoping for a nice long road trip on it this fall - thinking to head for Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, somewhere I can decompress from SoCal a little. Riding around here can be stressful from all the traffic.

I remember taking a safety course at the local community college about 30 years ago with my dad. You could get your permit and ride a motorcycle before you turned 16, which meant the world to me at the time. No more riding the school bus ever!

Would love to take a track course some day as well.

mcteague
06-13-2008, 04:27 PM
I rode a MC way back in the late 70s before I could afford a car. I rode it year round and loved it. I often think of getting another and with gas >$4/gal a 60mpg vehicle like a Kawasaki Ninja250R seems appealing. But, if I used it for commuting only about half the time I figure it would take over 6 years to recoup the cost in gas savings over my Outback. There is of course the fun factor but I don't know if that is the word for riding a motorcycle on the interstate during rush hours.

Tim McTeague

Charles M
06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh Heck yeah....

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/serotta/novecbr2.jpg

And why not cross the two up every once in a while...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/serotta/novecbr.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/kuota/komwhole.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/kuota/komkredo.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/aria868.jpg

As for summer, the moto gets parked up (kinda backwards, but in Phoenix that breeze in your face is a little more "blast furnace" than air cooling.

I have a Ducati Desmose"bici" that will roll out shortly...

Can't get enough of either thing on two wheels...

fierte_poser
06-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Cycling always gives you some goal to strive towards.. one of the big problems with motorcycling is other then traveling like crazy much of the skills development ends up being centered around driving really fast.. which quickly becomes pointlessly dangerous on the street.. so you either become a bit of a lawless jerk.. or you slow down, go to the track, and get bored of street riding.

I have a friend that has tired of street riding for the most part. My skills aren't that developed yet, so I can still enjoy riding through the canyons at speeds close to the speed limit.

I find that the dichotomy between the two modes of transportation is fun. Knowing that you pedaled a 70 mile canyon loop while riding the same loop on a motorcycle is an interesting exercise in perspective.

Finally, do any of you bi-cycle riders feel the urge to wave at motorcycles from the bicycle and bicycles from the motorcycle? :D

Charles M
06-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I guess if I went everywhere with something to prove versus just enjoying it maybe the track might spoil the street, but that's just not it for me.

Track or street doesn't change anything for me as far as pleasure goes... And it's pretty nice MPG and diamond lane privilage... Makes a commute more fun.

Noonan
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
2005 BMW R1200GS. Nothing better for the roads of BC. I take the tent, sleeping bag, fly rod, boots and waders and I'm off. Rock Creek, MT, Missouri River at Craig, Skykomish for steelhead, Deschutes and N. Umpqua in Oregon.

I like to camp one night and motel the next. Most of the time, I enjoy riding by myself. I enjoy the freedom of not knowing where I'll be over the next few days. For me, planning a trip takes away some of the enjoyment.

H1449-6
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
2005 BMW R1200GS. Nothing better for the roads of BC. I take the tent, sleeping bag, fly rod, boots and waders and I'm off. Rock Creek, MT, Missouri River at Craig, Skykomish for steelhead, Deschutes and N. Umpqua in Oregon.

I like to camp one night and motel the next. Most of the time, I enjoy riding by myself. I enjoy the freedom of not knowing where I'll be over the next few days. For me, planning a trip takes away some of the enjoyment.

How do you find the long distance comfort on that bike? Since you do long trips, I assume you're happy with it.

brokenladder
06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
indeed... have a 2006 bmw f650 gs that i use to commute to/from work sometimes. great diversion on days when i don't feel like cycling to work -- like today. this morning i rode my mtb in the park near my house before work and then showered and hopped on the moto because i didn't feel like sweating anymore. all that said, i do secretly dream about taking off on a tour somewhere exotic -- probably need the 1200 GS then :-)

i agree with others here that it helps develop useful bike handling/survival skills. toward that end, i frequently recommend taking the moto safety course even to those that don't want to ride a bike. i found that it made me a much better driver and cyclist...

Steve in SLO
06-13-2008, 11:04 PM
What I've got:
2004 Yamaha R1
2001 Ducati Monster Sie
1989 Honda Transalp

I love 'em all. I started riding at the tender age of 45 (3 years ago) after years of bicycle and auto racing. I have put about 30K miles on them in total, as well as 12-15 trackdays. The motorcycle was the perfect melding of racing lines/braking learned from the car and balance from the bikes. I often find that my skills 'feed' off each other, i.e. something I learn from the motorcycle translates to the bike, etc.

Two comments from previous posts:

The SV 650 is a great bike for anyone, from beginner to racer.

I also wave to cyclists from the motorcycle and to motorcyclists from the bicycle. Funny, the motorcyclists often return the wave, but the bicyclists don't.

Steve

toaster
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Suzuki DR-Z 400SM

The SuperMoto thing is a blast.

rphetteplace
06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
2002 Moto Guzzi Scura. Needs a new back tire real bad :banana:

fierte_poser
06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Suzuki DR-Z 400SM

The SuperMoto thing is a blast.

How do you learn to back it in without dying? :bike:

sw3759
06-14-2008, 04:47 AM
i came to cycling from motorcycling in 86' after needing a way to get in shape for off road racing and running was not my thing.found i had more passion for cycling than motorcycles but i still love to blast around every now and then.after having liter sportbikes i really enjoy the supermoto for back roads and such.
you don't need big horsepower to have big fun.
i was torn between the SV650 but got a great deal on SM.i'm quite happy with it so far.

Scott

ti_boi
06-14-2008, 07:06 AM
My last motorcycle....yeah I miss her sometimes....

Ken Robb
06-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Since buying my 2-speed Cushman scooter in 1957 I have had more motorcycles than I can remember off the top of my head. I bought a Ducati ST3 and sold my BMW R1100R last Fall. The Duc is better at high-speed cruising/touring but the BMW was better in town and on tight/twisty roads. Ya pays yer $$ and ya takes yer choice. I rode a BMW F800ST and I think that is a really versatile bike with more power than I expected.

333halfevil
06-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I ride to work almost every day on my custom painted 2002 yamaha yzf 600. A few other employees also ride. I love to park mine right next to the bike rack filled with serottas.

Ken Robb
06-14-2008, 02:45 PM
well the Ducati is absolutely my best bike for climbing. :beer:

SPOKE
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
i've been known to swing a leg over a scooter from time to time.
when i really "Feel The Need For Speed" i fire up my Ducati 1098S! if it's just a laid back kind of ride then i'll saddle up the Screaming Eagle Harley.
as of today i'm a bit confused since i just brought home my new Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition. it's got about 22 miles on it and just from this first meeting i can tell that i'm going to really like this bike! can't wait till i have it run-in so i can really experience just how good it is. ;)

BoulderGeek
06-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Funny how the taste for fine road bikes tends to blend over to motorcycles, too.

I've had a 1982 Yamaha Seca 650, upon which I put 45,000 miles.

Then a 1991 BMW R100GS/PD, which I had for 35,000 miles.

Now, I have a 1993 VFR 750 (the Pearl Crystal White "Fridge"), which I've only put 6,000 miles on.

I still lust for a BMW R1100S or R1200S. And another GS. But, my VFR is so dialed in for me now, I rode it back to back with the R1100S and Ducati 900SS, and didn't think I was losing anything (except an additional $10,000).

I'm looking at picking up a 2008/2009 Kawasaki KLR650 to do some South American adventure touring.

The road cycling feeds the motorcycling which feeds the mountain biking which feeds the snowboarding which feeds the road cycling....

:banana:

purplecu22
06-15-2008, 05:05 AM
750 monster
900ss
moto guzzi jackal
buell xb9s
buell xb12s
hd dyna sport model. got to have adjustable suspension!

Some of the bike i've had in the last 8 years.

michael white
06-15-2008, 07:11 AM
I like motorcycles too, and have had a few (all Yamahas), but it's proven that they make you fat.

I'm fighting the urge to get another right now. . . I think it's seasonal.

dancinkozmo
06-15-2008, 08:18 AM
im very impressed with everyones taste in motorbikes !!
ive got a ducati 900ss and a 748....hoping to get an enduro some day , maybe a honda xr650l or a suzuki drz 400...

avalonracing
06-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Had: '83 Kawasaki GPz500, '86 Honda VFR700, '89 Honda CB-1, '01 Ducati Monster 900S.
Have: 2001 Honda VFR800.
There seem to be a few VFRs here... cool. I hope you guys are on the VFRD forum too!

97CSI
06-15-2008, 09:19 AM
'71 Triumph Daytona (the original) T100R
'81 Kawalski KZ550

Pic's are posted in this motorcycle thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41116

H1449-6
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Lots of motorcyclists. My bikes owned list includes the following. The first couple I owned as a kid on the farm.

Suzuki Trail 90
Honda XR75
Yamaha XS 650 Special
Ducati Monster 900
Suzuki SV650S
BMW R1200C

michael white
06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I had one of the first 650 specials, too. A wonderful/terrible bike. Also very much enjoyed my RD400 and the later Seca 2.

I think I'm getting old, the cruisers are starting to look good . . .

Mud
06-15-2008, 11:37 AM
All Harleys, maybe 60 of them. It was a Father's Day ride raising money for noise pollution awareness (or something). I am still shaking and now quite deaf.

Peter B
06-15-2008, 01:58 PM
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1982 Kawasaki KZ550
1977 Yamaha RD400
1990 Honda VFR 750

The Ascot was my first, which I quickly sold in favor of the KZ550. The Yamaha was a project that I never did finish. Fortunately, a friend did. The VFR is in my garage still.

As much as I've enjoyed motorcycling, the truth is I just don't ride much any more. I bought the VFR in 1994 with 4k miles. It's at ~13k today. MIght be time to move it along...

+1 on the MSF courses for beginners.

jmeloy
06-15-2008, 04:05 PM
part of my job is US manager our global brand of high end motorcycle lubes, called SILKOLENE.....

http://www.silkoleneusa.com

H1449-6
06-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I had one of the first 650 specials, too. A wonderful/terrible bike.

IIRC it was a '79, which I got second hand sometime around 1990. Rode it for several years then sold it to a friend of mine, who took it cross country. Unfortunately, he had no end of trouble on his trip. Fortunately, he still speaks to me.

Oirad
06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
'99 Ducati Monster 750
'01 Ducati 748

IMHO riding fixed, mountain-biking, and even pack road riding has helped with confidence and kinesthetic awareness of motorcycle riding, and vice-versa.

Unless you're quite heavy, travelling two up, the "smaller" bikes like the SV 650, the Hornet, and especially the Ducati Monsters (695, 696) are all you ever really need. Plenty of horse and great handling.

You remember when people rode 250's, 350's, 500's seemed like pretty big bikes?

Ride safely!

Oirad

stormyClouds
06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Funny how the taste for fine road bikes tends to blend over to motorcycles, too.

I've had a 1982 Yamaha Seca 650, upon which I put 45,000 miles.

Then a 1991 BMW R100GS/PD, which I had for 35,000 miles.

Now, I have a 1993 VFR 750 (the Pearl Crystal White "Fridge"), which I've only put 6,000 miles on.

I still lust for a BMW R1100S or R1200S. And another GS. But, my VFR is so dialed in for me now, I rode it back to back with the R1100S and Ducati 900SS, and didn't think I was losing anything (except an additional $10,000).

I'm looking at picking up a 2008/2009 Kawasaki KLR650 to do some South American adventure touring.

The road cycling feeds the motorcycling which feeds the mountain biking which feeds the snowboarding which feeds the road cycling....

I used to have an BMW R1100S. Had several bikes before and after, but that was my fav, by far.
Anyone looking for a sporty ride with some soul - look no further. That is the lugged steel, classic ride of the sport bike world.
Mylast bike was a Ninja 636. Going from an opposed twin to an inline four took a lot of the fun out of riding. Sure, the Ninja was fast, but the Beemer was more fun. Would recommend that ride to anyone.
To the OP, if you haven't already, check out the Pelican Parts BMW forum. A lot of good guys and good info there. I used to hang there a lot. Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

H1449-6
06-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Unless you're quite heavy, travelling two up, the "smaller" bikes like the SV 650, the Hornet, and especially the Ducati Monsters (695, 696) are all you ever really need.

Until you find yourself on a highway, battling the wash of road trains.

I like something in the 600+ lb range for that.

rwsaunders
06-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Not mine, but I spotted this on the street this morning on the way to work. The owner said that it was Russian...note the 2 wheel drive.

ti_boi
06-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Not mine, but I spotted this on the street this morning on the way to work. The owner said that it was Russian...note the 2 wheel drive.

That blonde in the background would be the great in the sidecar. :cool:

rwsaunders
06-18-2008, 08:45 AM
That blonde in the background would be the great in the sidecar. :cool:

Nah...she uses plastic bags...a sure way of not getting a date in Seattle. :cool:

DonH
06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Recently sold my Honda CRF250 and will probably have another one soon. I have never owned a street bike, but have ridden off road since 1970.
My spare time is very limited lately so I dont ride as much as I used to.

H1449-6
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Bought a K1200 RS last night. Picking it up today or tomorrow and I'll post pics when I get it.

3chordwonder
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM

AFAIK those Russian Urals are a BMW copy that's not much advanced beyond the time they captured the relevant BMW tooling at the end of WWII. Like the oldschool Enfields still made in India, vintage style machines but with question marks over the materials and casting/machining quality compared to the original 40's BMWs.

I could be wrong, just relating what I was told by a vintage bike enthusiast who had one in his collection.

rwsaunders
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
AFAIK those Russian Urals are a BMW copy that's not much advanced beyond the time they captured the relevant BMW tooling at the end of WWII. Like the oldschool Enfields still made in India, vintage style machines but with question marks over the materials and casting/machining quality compared to the original 40's BMWs.

I could be wrong, just relating what I was told by a vintage bike enthusiast who had one in his collection.

40hp and a top speed of 62mph....equal almost to my old diesel Rabbit. I personally can't imagine buying anything of quality from the Russians, with the exception of vodka and an AK-47, perhaps.

3chordwonder
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I personally can't imagine buying anything of quality from the Russians, with the exception of vodka and an AK-47, perhaps.

That's put the key question - are those Ural motos built like AK-47s or like a 70's Lada? If the former, I'd get one in a flash. Even with 40hp it'd be a fun thing to tool around on.

If the latter, the key to enjoyment is to just enjoy looking at one owned by somebody else, like vintage Ferraris. imho etc.

gregclimbs
06-19-2008, 09:55 AM
my 748 in track plastic:

http://wattagetraining.com/blog/greg/uploaded_images/Comingsoon_13177/motorsport11.jpg

g

BoulderGeek
06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
my 748 in track plastic:

g

Nice form. Textbook training shot.

You should instruct.

H1449-6
06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the K1200RS I got a couple of days ago. Taken near the DuPage VOR. I guess I'd call this one a century bike, so to speak. Buttery smooth power delivery and all-day comfort. You can't tell from the pics but this bike really needs a bath.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/H1449-6/_DSC0521.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/H1449-6/_DSC0533.jpg

rinconryder
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Just got a triumph street triple a couple of months ago - nothing but grins. It is the baby brother to the speed triple and uses a "detuned" version of the Daytona 675. I love the menacing whir of the triumph triple.

mcteague
06-20-2008, 07:12 AM
As I consider getting back into motorcycling after being off one for many years I find that I am hesitating. All I want is a inexpensive, fuel efficient, but still fun bike. The '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R is getting great reviews and does what I want it to, except for the fact that they are sold out everywhere. Also, when I add in helmet, riding jackets (maybe two, for hot and chilly days), gloves, etc. etc. it all starts to add up. I often think back to how much fun riding a motorcycle was and in the days of $$$ gas a 50-60mpg commuting vehicle seems appealing.

But then I consider riding to work on I95 along with lots of traffic in the hot, humid Baltimore Summers I get that nagging doubt. Is it all worth the increased danger and expense? Guess I'm not really looking for an answer. Just trying to make up my mind.

Tim McTeague

avalonracing
06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Tim,

There is a great-looking 2001 VFR on the DC craigslist right now. I have one myself (pic on page 3). I don't know if I would want a 250 on I-95 in MD but as one of the VFR owners here I will attest to their useful power and crazy long term reliability.

Check it out. (I'd probably take the Micron high-mount pipe off your hands if you bought the bike :rolleyes: )

flickwet
06-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Started on my Dads 1971 Yamaha AT-1 125 Enduro, I was 12, I was allowed to ride it when I could pick it up. My classmates would see him go by my Jr HS on his way to work every nice day sportcoat, tie blowing in the wind, ALWAYS a helmet and gloves. Yeah my Dad was and is still cool. Now I have an old 1982 Yamaha xt250 enduro, bought it with my son, I'm not so into it (prefer bicycles), my oldest son sure is though, He's just like my Dad, cool too.

H1449-6
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
But then I consider riding to work on I95 along with lots of traffic in the hot, humid Baltimore Summers I get that nagging doubt. Is it all worth the increased danger and expense? Guess I'm not really looking for an answer. Just trying to make up my mind.

Tim McTeague

Couple of thoughts:

a) Take the MSF course to reacquaint yourself with riding.
b) Consider buying a used bike.
c) Please DO NOT ride a 250 in freeway traffic. It's just not big/powerful enough to be enjoyable (arguably unsafe as well). In fact, I'd suggest that you find another route to work if you're going to ride a motorcycle of any type. Freeway = no fun.

Your best bet might be to get an older Japanese standard bike in the 500-750cc range. Cheap and reliable.

Ken Robb
06-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I would look for a deal on a good used bike like a Kawasaki 500cc twin if it fits you. They have plenty of smooth power and get good mileage too. Riding position is not too aggressive and the fairing gives reasonable weather protection. If you go this way the first buyer has taken the big depreciation already. If you decide riding is not for you you can sell it for about what you paid. If you love riding and want to trade for a different bike once you get some experience that will be easy too. The ads are full of people who are upside down in low-mileage bikes that they bought w/teaser-sucker financing plans.

I love my aerostich (sic) Cordura jacket/pants combo for riding with real clothes (even a suit) underneath. Zip out liner for cold days and LOTS of vents for hot days. There are cheaper options not made in the USA that may work well too but I have no experience with them.

mcteague
06-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Couple of thoughts:

a) Take the MSF course to reacquaint yourself with riding.
b) Consider buying a used bike.
c) Please DO NOT ride a 250 in freeway traffic. It's just not big/powerful enough to be enjoyable (arguably unsafe as well). In fact, I'd suggest that you find another route to work if you're going to ride a motorcycle of any type. Freeway = no fun.

Your best bet might be to get an older Japanese standard bike in the 500-750cc range. Cheap and reliable.

A) MSF course would happen if the bike purchase does.
B) I've looked into used but lots have stupid pipe mods or were ridden hard and put up wet by youngsters.
C) Yeah, I know. But, a Ninja 250R tops at 100mph or so and cruises easily at 70. As it would mostly be used going to work, that is my main hold-up about getting one. I know riding 15 miles to work on I95 is going to be the least type of fun. Days off, my bicycle will always get ridden so I don't really think I will get my money's worth with a motorcycle. Guess the price of gas and memories of my first KL250 started making me think about it.

Tim

OldDog
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Had Hodakas, Husky's and a Bultaco as a young pup, Harley's for street bikes, for 30 or so years. Current rides are a 2002 Deuce with a Jims's motor, 124 hp/133 torque and obnoxious Thuderheaders and enough chrome to blind the sun Gods. Second is a Harley 2005 Ultra Classic Ultra Glide (geezer glide), basically stock except for jets, air filter and pipes. My son has a Ducati something or other. It's a hoot to ride too.

OldDog
06-20-2008, 12:49 PM

Tim McTeague

Any busy expressway/interstate gives me the willies when on my scoot. I avoid them if I can. If I had to ride I-95 for a 15 miles commute every day, I'd stick to a car. A really, really big one too! I'm lucky that my daily 22 mile commute, one way, is on mostly low traveled back roads, a bike of any type is pleasureable.

michael white
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Any busy expressway/interstate gives me the willies when on my scoot. I avoid them if I can. If I had to ride I-95 for a 15 miles commute every day, I'd stick to a car. A really, really big one too! .

I guess this is how one gets to be an "old dog."
(as opposed to dead dog.)

mcteague
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Any busy expressway/interstate gives me the willies when on my scoot. I avoid them if I can. If I had to ride I-95 for a 15 miles commute every day, I'd stick to a car. A really, really big one too! I'm lucky that my daily 22 mile commute, one way, is on mostly low traveled back roads, a bike of any type is pleasureable.
Yeah, the last few days, as I drove to work, I imagined how it would be on a bike. One car tried to merge right into me but I anticipated it and avoided getting hit. Still, I shudder to think what would happen if someone did that while I was on a bike and could not get out of the way. At 60-70 mph if the fall didn't kill me I suppose all the cars riding over my body would seal the deal. Thanks to all for the reality check.

Now, if I didn't have to work I would have time to ride the back roads on the motorcycle AND bicycle.

Tim McTeague

benb
06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
C) Yeah, I know. But, a Ninja 250R tops at 100mph or so and cruises easily at 70. As it would mostly be used going to work, that is my main hold-up about getting one. I know riding 15 miles to work on I95 is going to be the least type of fun. Days off, my bicycle will always get ridden so I don't really think I will get my money's worth with a motorcycle. Guess the price of gas and memories of my first KL250 started making me think about it.

Tim

Yah.. go right ahead and buy a Ninja 250... it dusts off nearly every car on the road and has plenty of power for the freeway.

It's accelerates to highway speed as fast as most of the big harleys.. and has a top speed higher then the Electra Glide. And no one tells owners of H-D's touring bike to stay off the highway.

It is a great bike.

Geez people.. you do not need 0-60 in less then 4 seconds to be OK on the highway, nor do you need to be able to go 150+ mph.

At a lower price then a CdA it is an amazing piece of technology.

OldDog
06-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Two weekends ago a few buddies and our sweeties hopped on the hogs and did a three day trip, spending Friday at the Harley factory in York PA then going over to Gettysburg for Saturday and Sunday. It was nice showing them them the backroads I learned on my bicycle trips to the area. Had to stop at the "Sachs" covered bridge.

Going down to York, from I81 we hopped onto I83. That stretch of road was a nightmare, for me anyway. Twice, I was almost taken out. And two other times for each of my buddies. Too close for comfort. Up here in the northern part of the state, cycling and motorscooting are a pleasure due to the lack of people. I could never be an urbanite.

"I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dog and me.."

Gotta love Hank Jr.

benb
06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Riding on the highway in traffic just takes time, experience, and a bike that makes it comfortable, turns & reacts quickly, and has great brakes.

I wouldn't do it regularly on a cruiser but I've spent plenty of time on the busy roads around Boston and I've rode through NYC and it was fine. Any of the BMWs, VFRs, Triumphs, etc.. that have been shown in this thread will do great.

All those spaces you can't fit through in a car are huge on a bike. Move a little faster then traffic and move to the largest open spaces you can find and it's cool.

That just becomes a problem on a bike where your hands & feet are out in front of you and you're wearing clothes that catch the wind and turn your riding gear into a parachute.

Pretty sure I took I-81 through PA when I went to Tennessee in 2003.. lots of pretty riding.

rounder
06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Just got done watching The Fastest Indian on dvd. Recommend it highly to everyone who likes bikes or motorcycles.

Volant
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
We drove by a nice 1100 Shadow Sabre this past weekend with a "For Sale" sign on it. My wife's birthday and our anniversary are this week. My wife actually suggested we get it and that would take care of the presents as well as our summer vacation. She recalls, fondly, our first date where I picked her up on my old rice-burner 22 years ago. So, I bought it.
I rode motorcycles up until 2000 when my riding buddy got T-boned by a minivan (driver on cell phone). He left behind a 1 month old. Having just added a child to our family, we decided to sell the Harley (bike at the time) and get another motorcycle "someday down the road". I guess this past Monday was "someday". I had forgotten that feeling of "freedom" that they provide.
Be safe out there.

michael white
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
the Sabre is one of my favorite cruisers . . . more or less maintenance free, and a bit of attitude to boot. have fun on it!

BoulderGeek
06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I commuted in DC/Arlington on my BMW R100GS Paris Dakar. I was actually rammed by a car on my rear wheel once!

Absolute bastids on the roads there, and I'd never commute in DC again on a moto. Maybe a fixie.

I grew up cycling and motorcycling on the backroads of Lancaster and York counties in PA. That's what gave me my lightning quick responses. ;-)

Looking at a 2009 KLR650 for riding from Tierra del Fuego and Ushuaia back to Norte America in ~1.5 years.

frogpirate
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
In fact, the cross-over is how I met my wife back in 2003. I was fresh of finishing the Iron Butt Rally - a 11 day - 11,000 mile motorcycle scavanger hunt and saw a Craigslist ad titled "Love me, love my bike". She was talking bicycle, I was talking motorcycle, but we made the connection anyway. By 2004 I had a Litespeed and rode Cycle Oregon, in '05 I added a Giant TCR 0 and we raced an ultra bicycle event (Race Across Oregon) and finally in 2007 she took the MSF corse and bought a used Ninja 250. :-) The trend seems to be big motorcycle miles one year, big bicycle miles the next year.

Current Stable, Me:
2003 Aprilia Tuono
2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
2005 Giant TCR 0 - DuraAce10
2006 IRO 1-speed RobRoy Cyclo-cross
2008 Co-Motion Nor'Wester (i've only had a week and it's not 100% assembled yet. Mix of Campy Chorus and Shimano XTR)
Sneak peek:
http://sports.webshots.com/album/564113253mgMDzS?vhost=sports

Current Stable, Her:
2003 (iirc) Trek 5500 DuraAce9
2005 Serotta Ottrott ST Campy Chorus 10
1998 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Kevan
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm stuck with a learner's permit and getting used to a Yamaha Vino 125.

BoulderGeek
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
As I am trapped down here in Antarctica, I have been reading tons of global dual-sport adventure touring books.

I think that it is time to get back into the dual-sport world. So, when I get back to Colorado in January, I'm going to pick up a 2009 KLR650 and spend a couple of months adding farkles and preparing for Deadhorse, AK (Arctic Circle) to Panama Canal.

Three months of riding. A year of planning.

mcteague
07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I just bought a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. I added headlight and tail light modulators and wear a full coverage white helmet to help make me more visible. I checked my mileage at the 2nd fill up, I am getting 62mpg and it's not fully broken in yet. It's certainly not a street legal race bike, despite appearances, but I can easily keep up with traffic going 70+mph with a bit to spare if needed. The real fun is riding on twisty roads where it's light weight and quick handling make it a blast to ride.

Tim McTeague

H1449-6
07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I just bought a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. I added headlight and tail light modulators and wear a full coverage white helmet to help make me more visible. I checked my mileage at the 2nd fill up, I am getting 62mpg and it's not fully broken in yet. It's certainly not a street legal race bike, despite appearances, but I can easily keep up with traffic going 70+mph with a bit to spare if needed. The real fun is riding on twisty roads where it's light weight and quick handling make it a blast to ride.

Tim McTeague

You should post that in the green bikes thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=40629&highlight=green+bikes) .

Nick H.
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
I've been motorcycling for 28 years - let me see if I can remember the machinery:

Honda CD200 - my first bike. Didn't have any lessons - bought a licence and took off. Only crashed it twice.
Suzuki GSX-250 when I was a courier in London. The electrics broke every month
Kawasaki GT-550, also for courier work - the best bike for the job, ever
Honda VFR750, an early one. No soul, with a dashboard that reminded me of a Datsun
BMW K100LT. My girlfriend felt safe on it, but the engine always felt tight and the handling was vague
Kawsaki ZZR-1100. A good holiday bike, which seemed to handle better with a passenger.
BMW K1100LT. A fantastic bike which cured all the faults of the K100. I wouldn't say no to another one.
BMW R1100 GS. Revolutionary - easily the best all-rounder of its day. I went all over France and Spain on it, and kept up with the sports bikes at the old Nurburgring too. I also rented one to tour dirt roads in South Africa - one of the best things I ever did.
BMW R1150GS. Even better. I did some navigation rallies in Ireland on it. You have to do this in groups of four otherwise it's impossible to lift the thing out of the bogs.
Yamaha R1. Crazy for the road, so I raced it in the British Endurance Championship - 6 hours with 3 riders. Like doing 25% of Le Mans in British weather.
Aprilia RSV Mille. A big, beautiful Italian V twin which I rode to...Italy! The Italians were surprised it got there - they thought it would break down on the way. Totally reliable, very fast, and comfortable with a good range - a great bike for credit card touring. Lovely torque, which made it a pretty good 'Ring bike. Didn't handle as well as my instructor's 916 though
Kawsaki ZX-10. A truly versatile bike, good for track days and holidays with a passenger.
MV Agusta F4. Another one I used for endurance racing. I took it to the 'Ring too. I can't imagine that any bike could handle any better, ever. It needed some very expensive tweaking to get it as fast and reliable as our opposition, the Suzuki GSX-R1000, but we did it in the end.
Suzuki GSX-R1300 Hayabusa. The first 200 mph bike - I had to get it. It did 204 on the clock, but the radar said 186! Huh.
KTM 950 Adventure S with an OTT Gauloises paint job. As tall as a giraffe, and everybody clears the road for you. Such fun! More exciting than the BMW equivalent, but not as practical.

Umm, what was the question? Oh yes, a new bike for H-1449-6. I suppose a BMW would be the sensible choice...so how about a Honda Valkryie (aka F6-C) with 6 into 6 pipes? They sound rather like a Porsche 911. You know it makes sense!

Oh, and a functional bike for LegendRider. The Suzuki SV is great at most things except carrying a passenger. How about a Monster 750? Not cheap, but owners seem to love them. Or a Honda CB500? Nice power delivery, easy to ride, sell it when you get bored.

Dino
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I've got the moto bug too. Was raised on a bike(s). Have had a little bit of everything. 99% of the time I commute either by bicycle or by motorcycle. Only drive a car on the weekends as deemed necessary by the family agenda. Riding a BMW at the moment, but that will likely be replaced with another Ducati soon. Probably a Multistrada, although I've got some dumb desire to ride a 1098, at least for a few months :)

Here's a few from my stable from various eras (spanning from circa 1985 to present, in no particular order - Dirt and enduro bikes not included!)
:

Suzuki GSXR 1000
Kawasaki Ninja 750
Yamaha V-max
Yamaha Venture Royal
Kawasaki Voyager
Kawasakli KLR 650
BMW R1150GS and GSA
Kasasaki ZX-10
Suzuki DL-650 (Wee Strom)
BMW R1150R Roadster
BMW R1150 Rockster
BMW F800
Vespa GTS 250
BMW R1200GS
Yamaha FZR
Yamaha FJ 600
Ducati 900SS
HD Dyna Wide Glide
Yamaha RD60

Shared a couple of track bikes with some friends that we rode for some light duty endurance races. Should probably do that again.

Anyhooo....two wheels seems to work best for me. Petrol on the recovery days, glycogen for the others! :)

Dino
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, and I'm coming to Valanciana Spain for the final Moto GP of 2008 at the end of October. Any one from the forum wants to meet up for a party in Spain...it should be a good time!

mls
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I have a 2006 suzuki gsxr 1000 for the street that I dont use much .
I also have a 2007 suzuki gsxr 750 for the track that I really like ,
the track is the place !!! Its cool hearing about the old bikes like
rd 350/400s my rd350 is looong gone . I would love to have a tz 250
for the track but dont want to work on the bike that much . I have
been thinking about trading the 1000 for a motard to take to work or
for just horsing around they look like alot of fun .

Pete Serotta
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Have a Ohlins 2000 R1100s BMW Orange and Silver, as well as a 2005 1200GS BMW.. While I like them, I put more miles per year on bicycle. The 1100s is worth less than an Ottrott frame and it only has 10K miles... :D

Dino
07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Have a Ohlins 2000 R1100s BMW Orange and Silver, as well as a 2005 1200GS BMW.. While I like them, I put more miles per year on bicycle. The 1100s is worth less than an Ottrott frame and it only has 10K miles... :D

I love the R1100s. One of my favorite sport-tourers. Post a pic. I'd love to see it!

dancinkozmo
07-24-2008, 06:49 AM
I've been motorcycling for 28 years - let me see if I can remember the machinery:

Honda CD200 - my first bike. Didn't have any lessons - bought a licence and took off. Only crashed it twice.
Suzuki GSX-250 when I was a courier in London. The electrics broke every month
Kawasaki GT-550, also for courier work - the best bike for the job, ever
Honda VFR750, an early one. No soul, with a dashboard that reminded me of a Datsun
BMW K100LT. My girlfriend felt safe on it, but the engine always felt tight and the handling was vague
Kawsaki ZZR-1100. A good holiday bike, which seemed to handle better with a passenger.
BMW K1100LT. A fantastic bike which cured all the faults of the K100. I wouldn't say no to another one.
BMW R1100 GS. Revolutionary - easily the best all-rounder of its day. I went all over France and Spain on it, and kept up with the sports bikes at the old Nurburgring too. I also rented one to tour dirt roads in South Africa - one of the best things I ever did.
BMW R1150GS. Even better. I did some navigation rallies in Ireland on it. You have to do this in groups of four otherwise it's impossible to lift the thing out of the bogs.
Yamaha R1. Crazy for the road, so I raced it in the British Endurance Championship - 6 hours with 3 riders. Like doing 25% of Le Mans in British weather.
Aprilia RSV Mille. A big, beautiful Italian V twin which I rode to...Italy! The Italians were surprised it got there - they thought it would break down on the way. Totally reliable, very fast, and comfortable with a good range - a great bike for credit card touring. Lovely torque, which made it a pretty good 'Ring bike. Didn't handle as well as my instructor's 916 though
Kawsaki ZX-10. A truly versatile bike, good for track days and holidays with a passenger.
MV Agusta F4. Another one I used for endurance racing. I took it to the 'Ring too. I can't imagine that any bike could handle any better, ever. It needed some very expensive tweaking to get it as fast and reliable as our opposition, the Suzuki GSX-R1000, but we did it in the end.
Suzuki GSX-R1300 Hayabusa. The first 200 mph bike - I had to get it. It did 204 on the clock, but the radar said 186! Huh.
KTM 950 Adventure S with an OTT Gauloises paint job. As tall as a giraffe, and everybody clears the road for you. Such fun! More exciting than the BMW equivalent, but not as practical.

Umm, what was the question? Oh yes, a new bike for H-1449-6. I suppose a BMW would be the sensible choice...so how about a Honda Valkryie (aka F6-C) with 6 into 6 pipes? They sound rather like a Porsche 911. You know it makes sense!

Oh, and a functional bike for LegendRider. The Suzuki SV is great at most things except carrying a passenger. How about a Monster 750? Not cheap, but owners seem to love them. Or a Honda CB500? Nice power delivery, easy to ride, sell it when you get bored.

Great post !!!!!

Charles M
07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
After getting rid of my 996, I always wanted another Ducati... So I thought, what the hell...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/kuota/kuduclarge.jpg