PDA

View Full Version : 1" stem question

epicwinter
06-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I am refitting my old colorado legend with a threadless frontend. I got the fork, handlebars, and headset but now I need a stem. I was looking at the easton stems mostly, but all the stems I see seem to be for 1 1/8.

I only see a few stems out there that are 1" and they are all really odd sizes. Can you put a 1 1/8 stem on a 1" steer tube? Also does anyone have any recommendations for 1" stems?
thanks
ryan

PaulE
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
A lot of the 1-1/8" stems used to come with the necessary shim to use with a 1" steerer. I haven't bought one in a long time so I don't know if they still come with the shims but they are certainly available at your LBS and elsewhere.

jvp
06-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Can you put a 1 1/8 stem on a 1" steer tube? no
Also does anyone have any recommendations for 1" stems?
ttt, nitto pearl, cinelli w/ cinelli bars.

rwsaunders
06-13-2008, 02:09 PM
What is your bar diameter? I know that the Deda Newton stems for 26.0mm diameter bars have a shim for the 1" steerer tubes. I think that the Newton's for the 31.7mm diameter bars supply a shim too.

dave thompson
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I am refitting my old colorado legend with a threadless frontend. I got the fork, handlebars, and headset but now I need a stem. I was looking at the easton stems mostly, but all the stems I see seem to be for 1 1/8.

I only see a few stems out there that are 1" and they are all really odd sizes. Can you put a 1 1/8 stem on a 1" steer tube? Also does anyone have any recommendations for 1" stems?
thanks
ryan
See your LBS about a 1" shim so you will be able to use the 1 1/8" stem you want. I'll bet he has a pile of the shims laying around. A six-pack of beer would go a long way to secure the shim and some good-will. :)

Kane
06-13-2008, 02:42 PM
A lot of the 1-1/8" stems used to come with the necessary shim to use with a 1" steerer. I haven't bought one in a long time so I don't know if they still come with the shims but they are certainly available at your LBS and elsewhere.

As Dave T has said the shims are readily available and I have use one on my 1" steer tube forever.

Their was even a book written about it. The book is called, ZEN & Motorcyle Maintenance.

cheers,

Kane

epicwinter
06-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have heard of the shims but i wasn't sure if they were a hacky solution or not. I see ritchey sells a stem with a shim that comes with it.

I also wondered if only certain shims matched certain stems. Performance Bike sells a thompson shim but i just called and they couldn't tell me what stems they were compatible with.

Do you know of a shim that is compatible with the easton stems?

I guess it would help to go to my local bike shop, but i am traveling and having an "Ebayathon" buying parts and this is the last one and I wanted to finalize the setup so it would be waiting for me upon return :)

rwsaunders
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
All of the shims should be the same diameter as the difference between a 1" diameter tube and a 1-1/8 diameter stem is the same....1/8". The shims are actually cut (not a solid ring) to be smaller that the circumference of the tube, so that they fit nice and snug. I'll see if I can find a photo of one later.

Try Dave T's idea of taking a 6-pack to the shop.

dwightskin
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Search for "Easton" at www.sierratradingpost.com and you'll see some close-out stems - mostly in longer lengths.

i think all their road stems come with a shim for 1". Mine did. And you can sort of see the shim in the picture on the website.

Dwight

rwsaunders
06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Here you go.

dave thompson
06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
There's a chance that a shim may be a tad longer or shorter than the portion of the stem that fits over the steer tube. If it is a bit shorter, no problems. If a bit longer, it will have to be cut so it is about 2~3MM shorter than the stem hole. Some shims come with a lip on top that covers the top of the stem hole, which is good too. Shims aren't a 'hacky' solution, you don't see them when mounted.