PDA

View Full Version : Repair stand clamping danger?

stormyClouds
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a question for builders or members who have experienced a frame being damaged by clamping it in a repair stand.
We have all heard stories about how clamping your seat tube or top tube in a repair stand can damage your frame, but has anyone really had this happen to them?
I have a super nice steel frame with an integrated seat tube (so I can't clamp it on the seat post). The tubeset is high end (read: light/thin), so I am guessing that my fear is substantiated.
Or maybe the clamp isn't hurting anything at all if you avoid locking it down with Chuck Norris force?
Just wanted to hear from the gang on this. Any suggestions? What are you carbon guys with integrated st's doing?

Btw, I use 2 different repair stands, both with a standard park clamp. Not really interested in getting a different style stand if I don't have to.

false_Aest
06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Only saw it happen once.

A new kid in the shop I used to work in clamped a POS frame and crimped it--I wanna say it was one of the first or 2nd gen Mongoose carbon frames.

The clamp doesn't have to be that tight especially if you're clamping the TT.

Just pay attention

Kevan
06-13-2008, 07:57 AM
a soft towel into the jaws of my Park stand, offering a little bit of cushion. I would think there is a lot of torque going on in the seatpost area, meaning thicker metal, so that would continue to be the best place to bite the frame...gently.

Fixed
06-13-2008, 07:59 AM
i saw a cats frame t.t. dented from it a nice steel bike back in the 70's

how many cat use a dummy seatpost to clamp on ?
cheers

Dave
06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I've got an older Park workstand with the single spring-loaded lever clamp and no adjustment for clamping pressure. To reduce the clamping pressure, I took the spring out and cut it shorter. It's now only about 3-1/8" long. If the spring pressure is too light, you can use some flat washers under the spring to increase pressure. I've had no problem gripping a carbon bike's TT with it. Only a very light pressure is required to keep the bike in place, unless you want to rotate the bike to an extreme angle. Fortunately, both of my carbon frames have sloping TTs with plenty of post showing, so I clamp them by the (carbon) seatpost. If I get one with an integrated post, I'll clamp it by the TT, but very gently.

Another option to reduce pressure it to find a spring of similar length, but made of smaller diameter wire. I never bothered to do that, since the shorter spring is working.

Another problem with these old style clamps is the relief for the brake cable. There's one at the top and bottom, but most brake cables are no longer at either of those locations, so the cable will get squeezed against the TT. You may be able to pull a cable down into the lower recess, but otherwise, it could mar the paint on the TT.

nicrump
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
best answer is if you have to ask then dont do it.

Kane
06-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I have a super nice steel frame with an integrated seat tube (so I can't clamp it on the seat post).

A good reason not to buy a bike with an integrate seat tube. Another fashion idea that makes no sense unless it is a time trial bike with aero configuration, but I digress.

Park has that bike stand for $220 that clamps your fork or rear wheel drops, while the bottom bracket rests on a padded cradle. It is very stable. It is also a little bit of a pita to have to pull a wheel every time you work on your bike.

cheers,

kane

victoryfactory
06-13-2008, 08:51 PM
A dumb kid at an lbs once squeezed my decals off , baby*

apologies to FZ, RIP

VF

*seat tube

JumpStart
06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I dented my late 1980's Cannondale seat tube using a late 1980's Blackburn stand. :crap:

I only clamp the seat post now!

bironi
06-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I dented a friend's aluminun,oversized wierd-shaped TT with my Park stand. I just did not realize that I was clamping a beer can. Embarrassing non the less. :beer:

stormyClouds
06-13-2008, 10:02 PM
A good reason not to buy a bike with an integrate seat tube. Another fashion idea that makes no sense unless it is a time trial bike with aero configuration, but I digress.

Wasn't really looking for opinions about the bike design. I know most people would never buy such a fashionable, no sense bike like a Vanilla.