PDA

View Full Version : Rear derailer?

trocared
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I am having a problem with my campy record rear derailer...when "getting up on it", going up a hill, it slips down the cassette, after a few more spins, it slips down again...etc, until i sit back down on the saddle. When I have my hands positioned on the hood, I can feel (on my thumb) when it is going to slip. I have adjusted the cables, to no avail.
Another thought, could I be putting too much torque on the bars?
Any ideas??
tro

Tobias
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Any ideas??Two come to mind.

Check the cable guide under the bottom bracket and if it is OK lubricate it before your next ride. Some bikes flex enough at the BBKT to cause friction at the cable guide to force a shift (although your description of being able to feel it at the hoods would make this less likely).

The second is to inspect the derailleur for cracks. A few years back I had a Chorus rear derailleur with a small crack and it drove me nuts.

Good luck.

Dave
06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd say that your problem is a malfuntioning right shifter. Most likely a broken G-spring. The RD does not move to smaller cogs on it's own. Cable is being released from the shifter.

trocared
06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
for your suggestions...I will check them out!!

Kane
06-13-2008, 02:53 AM
your cassette could be worn. Record cassette $350. Ouch!
Shifter rebuild $110, much nicer neighborhood.
Cable slipped out of cable guide . Free!!!

Good Luck,

Kane

DfCas
06-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Thats the classic symptom of tired g springs in the ergo lever. The derailleur works its way down toward the 1st position.