PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it.

false_Aest
06-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Looked at Rapha stuff for the first time (I've always stuck with Sugoi, Swobo and SmartWool....) WHAT THE EFF?!?

A buck twenty five for gloves? $27 for socks? $25 water bottle? Even the clearance section has old stock gloves for $80.

What am I missing? Is their stuff THAT GOOD (on par with Assos) or is this more of a overpriced scenester brand?

(Incidentally, the fixed shorts sure look d0p3 but even Swobo is selling their all wool knickers for less.)

Michael Maddox
06-12-2008, 07:52 AM
The latter.

It's A&F for cyclists.

johnnymossville
06-12-2008, 08:06 AM
win the lottery, I'm going to purchase every item in the Rapha catalog, just for the he|| of it.

Oh wait, I don't buy lottery tickets, nevermind. I do think their stuff is cool though.

Pete Serotta
06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
It is nice looking stuff BUT it does nothing for me (I am still old and slow).

I guess if we can have $300 carbon bars and $1500 Cranks - than why no $125 gloves? ;)

rwsaunders
06-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Perception is reality and some find the Rapha brand to be uber-cool. The story that they tell on their website and in their publications only helps to reinforce the need to want to be outfitted in one of their kits. A bit retro if you will.

I like their message but I won't part with the coin either.

PoppaWheelie
06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh boy...here we go again.... :rolleyes:

Pete Serotta
06-12-2008, 09:34 AM
I will be glad to wear it FOR I like the way it looks - Can someone send me some....THANKS

fiamme red
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Remember, black socks are mandatory if you wear Rapha. :p

http://www.rapha.cc/continental/images/team_1.jpg

false_Aest
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Speaking of swobo.... chainlove right now

Steve in SLO
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Speaking of swobo.... chainlove right now

Yup. Just picked up a pair of their Fenster merino knickers..just the thing for these 85 degree days. $58.

Chris
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I will be glad to wear it FOR I like the way it looks - Can someone send me some....THANKS

What do you want?

The only thing I have ever had of Rapha's is the most ridiculous thing they sell, which are the Grand Tour Gloves. They were something crazy like $180.00 or something. Unfortunately I followed their size guidelines and ended up with gloves that were just slightly too small. FWIW, I don't think they were worth the money.

Having spewed all that, I do REALLY like the Rapha stuff, if for nothing more than the marketing and what they are doing other than selling the clothing. The Rapha Continental is just incredible in my opinion and I am beating down their door hoping to get involved in some way. Maybe if I buy all their stuff, they will give me a spot.

Cool costs. That's just the way it is. Rapha, like Serotta, has found a niche based on quality and exclusivity combined and is doing well because of it. Bravo for them.

jemoryl
06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Remember, black socks are mandatory if you wear Rapha. :p

http://www.rapha.cc/continental/images/team_1.jpg

Apparently black helmets, too.

Just where is that photo taken? Makes me think they are waiting outside the Job Centre in Brixton to pick up their Giros.

Kevan
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
are the knickers, at $205 + shipping.

Guess I'll continue to hanker.

skicoach
06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I know this stuff is very pricey, but in my opinion, it's worth every penny. The quality is nothing like I've seen in other products, comfortable, and bulletproof. I have summer bib-shorts, fall half-bibs, jacket, 2 jerseys, and gloves all purchased over a 3 year period with nothing showing wear (except gloves). I can't imagine anyone finding fault with these products, or equally well made products, except for the price.

Geoff
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I have one of their jerseys that fits better than any other I have. I got it on sale other wise I would not have gotten it. They sent me a pair of black socks for free when I bought the jersey and they are terrible only lasted about 10 rides before the fabric gave up the ghost and started to hole all over. Woolistic socks are the best ever! if only they would ever make some more in large. The mag Rapha puts out is great. Price is personal.

G

false_Aest
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I know this stuff is very pricey, but in my opinion, it's worth every penny. The quality is nothing like I've seen in other products, comfortable, and bulletproof. I have summer bib-shorts, fall half-bibs, jacket, 2 jerseys, and gloves all purchased over a 3 year period with nothing showing wear (except gloves). I can't imagine anyone finding fault with these products, or equally well made products, except for the price.

Comparable to the quality of other high-end brands?

davyt
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
are the knickers, at $205 + shipping.

Guess I'll continue to hanker.
Psst...enter offer code KM2008 for free shipping between now and July 31st.

dave1215
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh boy...here we go again.... :rolleyes:

yes, i believe it's called viral marketing - and it appears to be working.

;) ;) ;)

Waldo
06-12-2008, 03:11 PM

;) ;) ;)

It is. I fell for it. Their stuff is nice but not $$$$nice. As far as gloves go, a week ago, I bought a pair of Knog's "Love Hate" leather gloves for $50 and they're really nice. They fit like, well... ummmm, gloves and feel really soft. No snot rag, but for short rides in cool weather they're perfect. And they double as driving gloves.

fiamme red
06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
It is. I fell for it. Their stuff is nice but not $$$$nice. As far as gloves go, a week ago, I bought a pair of Knog's "Love Hate" leather gloves for $50 and they're really nice. They fit like, well... ummmm, gloves and feel really soft. No snot rag, but for short rides in cool weather they're perfect. And they double as driving gloves.Can't you just tattoo the words on your knuckles? Toughen up! :)

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0347.jpg

jeffg
06-12-2008, 03:18 PM
which now has jerseys and bibs north of $300

The full zip regular jersey (comes with arm warmers) and the lighweight jersey are great, and the lightweight jersey is the nicest light jersey I have found. The bit of wool keeps it from sticking to you after many hours in the saddle and the pockets fit much more than the other lightest jersey I have, which is Etxe Ondo and cost me just as much.

For cooler rides, the base layer is the nicest I have ever used ..

Kirk007
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
this has been gone over before. If you buy selectively; buy on sale and close out if you will due to price (and I do) I think you will be very happy. I love their jerseys and their winter jacket. Better than anything else I've tried, including a lot of Assos stuff. And I bought it all on sale at a good 30-50% less than their regular price, so at that price it was less than Assos and in same range as many of the other vendors. But I wouldn't throw down on the gloves or the shaving kit. I did just get the latest catelogue though and the new club jerseys sure look nice!

Greg

Tobias
06-12-2008, 05:46 PM

;) ;) ;)What does it mean, or how does it work? :confused:

dave1215
06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
What does it mean, or how does it work? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

every other week or so on this forum a thread gets started that examines rapha's pricing strategy, merchandising tactics and/or manufacturing quality. much of it is critical but the process gets lots of people thinking about the brand and the result is increased product demand from people who are willing to recognize value at these particular price points.

:D

DukeHorn
06-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I guess that viral marketing is working. Never heard of them till this thread.

I guess I'll keep on wasting my money trying to pick up older Arc Teryx Canadian made pieces.

Heck, I think I'll buy UnderArmour before being sucked into buying UK stuff.

thejen12
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I guess I'll keep on wasting my money trying to pick up older Arc Teryx Canadian made pieces.

Tons of Arc Teryx stuff comes up on SteepandCheap.com, or at least it did a couple of weeks ago.

Jenn

DukeHorn
06-12-2008, 06:32 PM
/waves to Jenn

I'll have to check into that. The problem is that Arc Teryx seems to have sourced quite a bit of its production to China. I'm just a sucker for that "Made in Canada" label (like my old school Rocky Mountain Element TO from the 90s).

3chordwonder
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Love the style of the Rapha marketing and the general design of the clothes, but it's cycling wear designed firstly from a fashion point of view and functionality/quality second imho.

Rapha is a styling exercise and the actual items are not made by bespoke tailors in London as the branding and the price suggests. My Rapha jacket was made in Vietnam, quality looks fine but no better than most mid price outdoors clothing, fit wasn't that great - at least not for me, and the zipper is too small and fiddly for adjusting on the fly.

Rapha's catalogues on the other hand get an 11 out of 10. A case study in perfection according to the premium brand storytelling and mythbuilding 'how-to' book. They're Rapha's best product by far, imho.

flickwet
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
buy it so what, If you can swing it and it don't matter have some fun. Harley crap is mucho bucks too and people buy that crap to get fat in all day long.