PDA

View Full Version : Cross bikes: Cream of the crop?

CNY rider
06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm headed for a new cross bike sometime in the near future.

Who belongs on the A-list in terms of builders?

I can wait a year or so, but not 5 so e-R and Vanilla are out unless I get something "disposable" to use for 5 years while I wait.

On my short list now are cpg, Kirk, HSG (Ti or Steel).

I've also thought about something stock like a Poprad (but the really short HT makes me nervous).

I don't plan on any organized racing. It's mainly a seasonal/dirt road bike. It also needs to take studded Nokians for some of the excellent winter riding we get here when the seasonal roads get frozen or have a rideable snowpack.

I know I'm not even close to having a comprehensive list of what I should be looking at.

Can you help me out? Thanks.

beungood
06-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Zanconato.

CNY rider
06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Zanconato.

I think he is going to be unavailable for the forseeable future if I remember correctly.

ergott
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Zank was on my list of one. Amazing bike! I'm not sure if he's building right now, but contact him and see what's up. If he changes his mind, I'd want to be at the top of his list.

gasman
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a Co-Motion Demon that I use for cross and is my daily commuter.
Great bike. Filet-brazed and I'm very happy with it.

TMB
06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
I have one from Doug Curtiss ( Curtlo) that is an absolute joy to ride.

Fixed
06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a Co-Motion Demon that I use for cross and is my daily commuter.
Great bike. Filet-brazed and I'm very happy with it.
good call doc but...
if you got the bread and time atmo makes a cross bike i heard
cheers :beer:

Bruce K
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
HSG Cross is a pretty amazing ride from all reports. I love my Concours Cross.

If your heart is set on steel then +1 on the Zanc.

I think Zanc may be building on a limited basis as it sounded like some plans had changed.

I would contact him and see what his actual plans are.

BK

IXXI
06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I think you can get on the Speedvagen CX ('08) list later this summer for fall delivery... The Roadvagens are due out soon, then the cxness is sposed to happen shortly thereafter. It's way up there in the cream dept.

JKlash
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I'll add a second for Doug Curtiss. I took delivery of a cross bike from him last month and although I only have a couple hundred miles on it, it has been great so far.

William
06-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Y'all know me..know what I'm a riding. I can catch this bird for ya, but ain't gonna be easy. Fine crosser. Not like goin' down to the pond and chasin' Lemonds or Kona's. This cross bike...swallow you whole...little sinkin'....little tenderizin....down you go. Now we gotta do it quick. That'll bring back the tourists, that'll put Zanc's businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck alot more than three thousand bucks chief. I'll find him for three...but I'll catch him and get him ta build ya one...for ten. You gotta make up your mind...wanna stay alive and ante up...wanna play it cheap be on crappy off the rack cross bike the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's to many captains on this forum. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head tube...the down tube...the whole damn thing.

If mike says so. ;)

William

Peter P.
06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
For something unique, with a little cachet; Steelman Eurocross.

http://steelmancycles.com/eurocross.html

For quality on a budget; Gunnar Crosshairs.

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/crosshairs.php

mgd
06-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm headed for a new cross bike sometime in the near future.

Who belongs on the A-list in terms of builders?

I can wait a year or so, but not 5 so e-R and Vanilla are out unless I get something "disposable" to use for 5 years while I wait.

On my short list now are cpg, Kirk, HSG (Ti or Steel).

I've also thought about something stock like a Poprad (but the really short HT makes me nervous).

I don't plan on any organized racing. It's mainly a seasonal/dirt road bike. It also needs to take studded Nokians for some of the excellent winter riding we get here when the seasonal roads get frozen or have a rideable snowpack.

I know I'm not even close to having a comprehensive list of what I should be looking at.

Can you help me out? Thanks.

if you're not racing, why do you want a cross bike? real cyclocross bikes are purebred racing machines and depending on design can really suck as all-arounder/dirt road bikes. it's sort of like getting a crit bike because you want to ride some charity rides and cc touring.

if you want a seasonal/dirt road bike, those beasts exist, but they're not cross (racing) bikes. riv atlantis or hilsen. jitensha ebisu all purpose all-arounder.

cross (racing) bikes can be a blast to ride, but they are racing machines and not what it sounds like you may want.

Fixed
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
:fight: if you're not racing, why do you want a cross bike? real cyclocross bikes are purebred racing machines and depending on design can really suck as all-arounder/dirt road bikes. it's sort of like getting a crit bike because you want to ride some charity rides and cc touring.

if you want a seasonal/dirt road bike, those beasts exist, but they're not cross (racing) bikes. riv atlantis or hilsen. jitensha ebisu all purpose all-arounder.

cross (racing) bikes can be a blast to ride, but they are racing machines and not what it sounds like you may want.
smart cat post more but maybe the builder would know that too
cheers imho

CNY rider
06-11-2008, 08:40 PM
if you're not racing, why do you want a cross bike? real cyclocross bikes are purebred racing machines and depending on design can really suck as all-arounder/dirt road bikes. it's sort of like getting a crit bike because you want to ride some charity rides and cc touring.

See, now you've got me thinking and that's exactly what I was hoping for..... :beer:

H.Frank Beshear
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
that fella Curt in Minneapolis builds a mighty fine cycle ;) .

Steve in SLO
06-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I've had more fun on my Poprad than any other bike I have ever owned, period. I use mine as a mountain bike light. All winter I was on trails and fire roads enjoying skinny tires on dirt. You can go full zoot for a beautiful frame made from exotic material, but a basic steel frame with fairly good components is all you need for a big grin factor.
ATMO, of course.
Steve

flickwet
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
theres plenty of great cx bikes just be sure its not too focused ie, no cage mounts, too high BB, disposable aluminium. Serotta, Sycip, Strong, Steelman, Seven, Great "S" name PRACTICAL Cx bikes.The world is your oyster. Remember also that head tubes tend to measure a little shorter sometimes because of taller fork lengths to accommodate larger tires. Heck I don't have the funds to get my dream Seven but I love my Surly Cross check Thats a frame you don't have to worry about.

ericspin
06-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Indy Fab.

Check out the Planet X.

I have one that I have loved. Many happy _you name it_ kind of miles.

Everything from road to _MTB lite_ as the OP mentioned. Don't race it and don't intend to but it is custom geo and some may argue it is more of a road bike with clearance for fat tires.

Whatever it is, it's great.

William
06-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Indy Fab.

Check out the Planet X.

I have one that I have loved. Many happy _you name it_ kind of miles.

Everything from road to _MTB lite_ as the OP mentioned. Don't race it and don't intend to but it is custom geo and some may argue it is more of a road bike with clearance for fat tires.

Whatever it is, it's great.

When I asked Zanc to build up my cross bike, I let him know that it would see a good bit of road use, as well as your standard dirt track, fire road, and cross course. He dialed me in a bike that rides better on the road than most any road bike I’ve owned. And it handles great off-road as well. If you have one built up by a good builder, he can dial it in for the type of riding you plan on doing. If you buy off the rack, you get what you get.

William

Cat Craig
06-12-2008, 06:57 AM
I second the IF. I have one and it fits awesome. It was purpose built for cross racing first and road training second. I can also hang with no problem in road rides when I swap out the wheels. IF is great to deal with.

If you want a one man shop, then you've been given great suggestions. The only one I would add to the list is Rock Lobster. Oh - and consider DeSalvo. Didn't he do the TIG welds for the first batch of Speedvagens?

Have fun and ride the crap out of your new bike!!

zank
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
I second the IF. I have one and it fits awesome. It was purpose built for cross racing first and road training second. I can also hang with no problem in road rides when I swap out the wheels. IF is great to deal with.

If you want a one man shop, then you've been given great suggestions. The only one I would add to the list is Rock Lobster. Oh - and consider DeSalvo. Didn't he do the TIG welds for the first batch of Speedvagens?

Have fun and ride the crap out of your new bike!!

Yes, Mike TIGs all of the vagens. Cross and road from what I understand. Sacha gives him free room and board while he visits :rolleyes:

steve575
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
HSG.
I like their stock geometry. No crazy high bottom bracket.

William
06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Yes, Mike TIGs all of the vagens. Cross and road from what I understand. Sacha gives him free room and board while he visits :rolleyes:

I'll give you free room and a board to braze up a stem for me. You like cedar? ;)

William

Marco
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
should be added to the short (very short) list.......

Dave B
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I wanted a Zank really bad, but when contacted the man, he said no way...until he starts building again. I was crushed absolutely crushed. I hope he does build again.

So I went with IF and love my bike. I worked with Joe directly as my lbs sucks and put me on the back burner. 4 weeks to wait for a fit and it wasn't because they were busy. I was so effin pissed that Joe wanted me to work with him.

I have not for one minute regretted my decision. Seriously, I know many of us have builders we are loyal to, companies that do great things, and masters that can build a bike that feels like an extension of your own karma.

For me IF has become that. The folks, not the bike are reason enough to give them a call and listen to them. The bike, well, I can not think of anything i would change. These cats do a fantastic job.

mine is in the gallery some where.

rpm
06-12-2008, 02:02 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd take a serious look at a Hampsten Strada Bianca:

http://www.hampsten.com/Bikes/GravelRoad/stradabianca.html

Carl Strong should also be included among all the usual suspects for this type of bike.

bozman
06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Carl Strong should also be included among all the usual suspects for this type of bike.

+1

I think his wait is up to a year now, fyi.

kevintice
06-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Hampsten...you can get the CX "Mud Pig" or the all-road Strada Bianca, in steel, Ti, prolly even aluminum...

CNY rider
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Hampsten...you can get the CX "Mud Pig" or the all-road Strada Bianca, in steel, Ti, prolly even aluminum...

Definitely on my list to check out.
I've not had much luck with their website the past 2 days.
Slow loading, incomplete pages . Tried both Safari and Firefox.

jt2gt
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Definitely on my list to check out.
I've not had much luck with their website the past 2 days.
Slow loading, incomplete pages . Tried both Safari and Firefox.

Hampsten Cycles. Don't worry about the website...call up Steve H. Tell him what you are looking for and he will give you the rundown on materials and style and you will end up with exactly what you want. They work with the best builders in all the materials.

I did that with my road bike a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Hampsten is the way to go.

JT

redir
06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
I have one from Doug Curtiss ( Curtlo) that is an absolute joy to ride.
I've been trying to get a hold of that guy for 2 months now! Did he even ever answer one of your emails? I've given up. I'm getting a stock Poprad for this year my team has pro deals on those anyway. Next year I am going to try for the Curtlo again. I hear he has some funky new suspension system now did you get that?

Currently my main racer is a Trek XO1 and my pit bike is an Airborne. I've always been fond of the Sacks cross bikes. I'd say those are the cream of the crop. But then there is the Moots PshcloX - damn nice TI cross bike. Guerciotti, Riddley, Red Line oh my!

GregL
06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
"...unless I get something "disposable" to use for 5 years while I wait.

I don't plan on any organized racing. It's mainly a seasonal/dirt road bike. It also needs to take studded Nokians for some of the excellent winter riding we get here when the seasonal roads get frozen or have a rideable snowpack."

My cross/CX bike fits your requirements very well. I built up a Jamis Nova frame as a CX/dirt road/winter riding bike and I am very pleased. On my 55 cm size frame, it has road bike geometry (73 degree seat and head tube angles, 7 cm BB drop, a reasonable head tube length), a solid frame tubing spec (Reynolds 631), lots of tire clearance, and plenty of braze-ons. Built up with a mix of Ultegra and 105 components, it was reasonably inexpensive and has proven to be a great riding bike. If I had to keep just one bike, this would be it.

With standard road tires (700x23) and an 11-23 cassette, it feels great in a fast paceline. With fatter (700x28) road tires and a 12-27 cassette, it rides great on dirt roads, double track, and non-techical single track. Put on knobbys and it's ready for CX races and nearly all single track. Fenders go on in the winter and it's a wet weather training bike. If you can find one of these bikes NOS (sadly, it's not made anymore!), they are a terrific bargain.

Regards,
Greg

cadence90
06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Following up on what mgd said, besides some of the other builders already mentioned, Jim Kish can build a great all-rounder in steel or ti, and Carl Strong builds that nice 'off-road-road' bike that a couple of people here have.

CNY rider
06-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Many great ideas in this thread.

Since I'm not in a rush I'm going to explore all of these leads. Many I would never have come up with on my own.

I'll be back with pics someday........

itsalldark
06-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Seven IMX