PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report Tuesday: No EPO, Sunny, 96*, Jack Kerouac, Crabcakes, Omega

M.Sommers
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Yesterday was high 90's. I live for summer so again, lather up with SPF #90, adjust saddle up another 1cm as an experiment and off I went. No more sweet tea on the ride, just plain water with lemon, need to drop a few pounds. People whine about the heat and humidity, I live for it.

So, I stopped at the LCS (local coffee shop). I was bad, my weakness is a brownie. I fueled up and noted Gunther's Tap Room, a bar where the beat generation's hero, Jack Kerouac used to walk in with a sock filled with quarters and drink himself to death.

Then I drove through the park where they have free concerts on Thursday nights. It's cool, grab a blanket, bottle of vino, cheese (there is a store in my village with a sign 'We have cheese' ***?) and relax.

Last concert I attended was back in 2002 when the Armed Services had their bands show up and play all their anthems, marching songs etc. I was at the concert with my best friend, a retired US Marine and his family. He suggested (ordered) I rise during the Marine Corps Hymn, anthem, we all did so. My friend later died in December, 2002, en route to Ohio to drop off gifts to his parents for Christmas. We used to golf and train together, both athletes and comrades. I miss him every day, he is now Obi Wan for me.

Riding without gloves in the summer is MP and the Campy alloy shifters feel even better since I've made some modifications to my seat height/position. Occassionally I pull over on a super hot day and sit under someone's sprinkler. My lungs are there, my legs need more work, the veins are getting close and to the tops of my hands and legs, a symbol I use to judge my fitness every year. I'll shed off another five pounds in time for Le Tour, July, where I ride every day after watching the Phil, Bob and Paul Show.

I had dinner after the ride, crab cakes, steak, drinks and of course, Return of the Jedi. Fascinated with space since time began, I wear a 1968 Omega Constellation, the back of it is stamped with an observatory.

:beer:

For Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVAvb5_oXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0DW6PEJRVY

SOUNDTRACK by The Church and ROXY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNhR-PrTAFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgU4iQr8PU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqGwOmKEwU&feature=related

73Camaro_Dude
06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
It is lacking because you need a closer upper of princess leah who was flat out hotness in that flick, but later ... the older bitchy version said she had to starve herself to get in that shape. Buck up bitchy, you should have just done cocaine... whoops.

I do not know how far you rode, but I suppose it does not matter. You have windows with cheese, and pictures of brownies, and houses of beer. Its no wonder you need to lose pounds, its obviously either by osmosis... or... you spend more time splashing about in the water or taking pictures. Either way, you are riding more than I... For a steel bike you spend a lot of time riding in the rain or sitting underneath sprinklers. Does that concern you? No jedi would let his lightsaber sit in a bathtub. Is it properly treated?

Under the Milky Way... nice song, meh album... brings back memories. Ugh, I listened to that song half a zillion times in the back of a school van on our way up to Kinney Regionals CC meet, I think, in Racine, Wisconsin. Ack.

I appreciate your trip here but I want results. Stop stopping. Ride more. Yoda worked Luke's ass off...

Fixed
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
bro m. sommers is one smart cat
thanks bro for sharing your insight on all things
cheers :beer: and for what you did for me today i would have you at my back anytime in a fight thanks again :beer:

maunahaole
06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
It is lacking because you need a closer upper of princess leah who was flat out hotness in that flick, but later ... the older bitch You have windows with cheese, and pictures of brownies, and houses of beer. Its no wonder you need to lose pounds, its obviously either by osmosis... or...
you spend more time splashing about in the water or taking pictures. .

Or, he just doesn't have a Belgian constitution. The flems live on cheese, beer and chocolate, and they flat out hammer.

chuckroast
06-11-2008, 07:41 PM
M Sommers,

I enjoy your ride reports but I do have to correct one of your pop culture references.

Slave to Love is a Brian Ferry solo piece, from the LP Boys and Girls I believe.

It was most remembered from its prominent use in the Kim Basinger flick, 9 and a half weeks.

flux
06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
you eat too much.

M.Sommers
06-12-2008, 08:16 AM
I was cooking for two, not including Greg LeMond. Yoda keeps stealing my food, little bastid.

paczki
06-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I was cooking for two

You're expecting?

M.Sommers
06-12-2008, 08:22 AM
You're expecting?

I'm still up in the air with names. Luke if it's a boy, Leia if it's a girl.

handsomerob
06-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I was cooking for two, not including Greg LeMond. Yoda keeps stealing my food, little bastid.

I didn't even notice the Blue Label before... :eek: :hello:

capybaras
06-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I was cooking for two

That is sweet. Say hi to your mom for me.

M.Sommers
06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
That is sweet. Say hi to your mom for me.

your post = :confused:

Mom is in East Hampton on vaca. If you dig 67 year old ladies, you'll have to sit down and discuss it with her 6'2" 240lb retired US Marine husband. He's 68, but you wouldn't want to converse with him and unless it begins with, "Sir" he won't acknowledge you fyi. :)

PBWrench
06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Just keeps tickin'

paczki
06-12-2008, 05:38 PM

capybaras
06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
your post = :confused:

Mom is in East Hampton on vaca. If you dig 67 year old ladies, you'll have to sit down and discuss it with her 6'2" 240lb retired US Marine husband. He's 68, but you wouldn't want to converse with him and unless it begins with, "Sir" he won't acknowledge you fyi. :)

I like some 67 year-old ladies, especially the funny ones. (Your dad sounds like kind of a drag though.) Just making a silly joke about if you had a date it might not be a real one - just dinner with your mom. How old is Princess Leah now anyway?

P.S. Say hi to your mom for me. :banana:

M.Sommers
06-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Just keeps tickin'

It's a 1968 Omega. Snagged it on eBay, came from a seller in Australia. I don't dare wear it and flush the toilet at the same time.

It ticks very well, thank you.