PDA

View Full Version : Its hard not to be a cynic...

Acotts
06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25084143/

As a sports fan, this stuff really gets me down.

I guess that is just how it goes. Life ain't fair.

trocared
06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Life ain't fair.

No, life isn't fair. Sporting events are supposed to be. As a sports fan, I am disappointed...as a football/baseball official, I am appalled.

As a spectator or a player, there were times when I thought the officials were actually pulling for the other team to win. As I grew into officiating, I realized that we are human and prone to make errors, some more than others. We do feel bad when we make the wrong call.

Taking money to influence the outcome of a game from slimeballs on the street is no different then influencing the outcome of a game for the slimeballs in the front office.

We haven't heard the last of this.

Acotts
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
i guess it is dissapointment that I feel.

I feel like not too long ago, this would have been a really big scandal. Chicago Black Sox big.

but now...folks have seen this so much that it is almost just a part of sports.

A gues pro sports are about as real as the Easter bunny.

Charles M
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I guess it's disappointing to me that we all toss up our hands and assume it's true...

This sounds more like a guy using a weapon of mass distraction.

M.Sommers
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Athletic Industrial Complex.

:beer:

Acotts
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I guess it's disappointing to me that we all toss up our hands and assume it's true...

Here is the thing. I was 11 when Jordan played in the 91 finals against Portland. Watching that game was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. Yeah, we all knew Jordan was the man...but that was magic! I went to UNC Chapel HIll 8 years later because of that game. I define the word athlete by what I saw in that game.

...and now I dont think that kind of magic can ever come back. How is a kid supposed to be inspired by a Kobe or a Wade. Or a Boonen or an Armstrong for that matter. Its just depressing.

Oh well. at least is is 85 outside and I commuted in on a Serotta. I think I will take the long way home.

Cdub
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I have always wondered about the fix. I also believe this guy is doing his best to distract from what his real issue is.

As far as sports icons, hard to find as many as there once was. Tiger Woods is one that heads the short list these days. He seems to be 100% stand up, hard work gets it done guy. Maybe that is why college sports are so big. They leave it out there every game.

hmmmm

trocared
06-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I have always wondered about the fix. I also believe this guy is doing his best to distract from what his real issue is.

It is interesting that his att'y brought this out after Stern and the NBA are attempting to sue him for $1mil.

I'm not saying the guy is telling the truth...he is a criminal...but sometimes criminals do tell the truth. Just saying...

palincss
06-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Well, we are cycling fans, after all.

trocared
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Congress is now going to get involved in the great NBA referee scandal....great!!! Highest gasoline prices ever...in the middle of a controversial war...election year...you'd think they may have more imortant things to do...
On the sunny side...who better to smell a scandal than the US Congress.

Len J
06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Congress is now going to get involved in the great NBA referee scandal....great!!! Highest gasoline prices ever...in the middle of a controversial war...election year...you'd think they may have more imortant things to do...
On the sunny side...who better to smell a scandal than the US Congress.

It's entertainment.

When big money meets big sports.......it's the sport that gets comprimised, always.

Appreciate it for what it is....entertainment and an escape from the boredom of life.

Len

thwart
06-13-2008, 06:56 PM
When big money meets big sports.......it's the sport that gets comprimised, always. Agreed.

And, unfortunately, there is more and more money in college sports...